Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Nothing changes on MeeGo front: http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/02/...ice-ecosystem/

That's really great news, if a good phone maker will step up and provide. And if it runs on Windows, that's similarly great news

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Nothing changes on MeeGo front: http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/02/...ice-ecosystem/

That's really great news, if a good phone maker will step up and provide. And if it runs on Windows, that's similarly great news
Yes, but in general Nokia make the best hardware (one thing almost everyone can agree on). What are the chances of me getting a Nokia handset with a slick MeeGo user experience given the content of today's announcement?

Slim-to-none? Thought so.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
In memoriam: Microsoft’s previous strategic mobile partners

Good collection of roadkills on Microsoft mobile platforms up to this day.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
Nokia has the largest market share in OS thru symbian but they chose the smallest player in the OS market.

Not to mention Elop once worked for microsoft & Could have switched to android which would have been an obvious choice for Nokia becuz of the linux based Android OS so maybe its a conspiracy.

Personally i never cared for meego since i never seen it and the fact Nokia shown little intrest in the needed updates for the N900 i wouldnt be surprised if meego ended the same way whats up with the multiple OS's Nokia makes and doesnt support, that bothers me most of all.

Next phone of mine will be running Android.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Yes, but in general Nokia make the best hardware (one thing almost everyone can agree on). What are the chances of me getting a Nokia handset with a slick MeeGo user experience given the content of today's announcement?

Slim-to-none? Thought so.
Not necessarily - if Elop maintains his promise to release one MeeGo device this year, and MeeGo is at that point a good OS, then it could be great. And Elop has put MeeGo on the back burner, if the Linux Foundation does a good job with it and Nokia find it attractive, they could put it back in their system. After all, with Symbian gone, they'd only have WP7 and s40, so they would have the resources to do it if they so chose. IMO, whether it will materialise now depends on the MeeGo foundation.

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
No, it's the second worst. iPhone has that title for sure - a grid of shortcuts. At least WP7 has updating widgets
Eh, I think the IOS icons do have some functionality. They're just a limited version of what you get with WP7. For example weather shows current weather, and so on.

But yeah, I was never a huge fan of just having icons.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Just been posted on engadget: "Exclusive: Nokia's Windows Phone 7 concept revealed!"

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/e...cept-revealed/
But can it run Linux?

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Is it possible that Intel could have been put in charge of Meego and that Nokia will just be over-seeing it all?

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
My boss has a HTC WP7 phone... I played with it (with the phone, yea? ) a bit and the UI is O.K., but still not my cup of tea...
I wonder if the Nokia/MS phones will have a micro-SD slot - aren't they supposed to not have one (specified by MS)? And what about the mini-HDMI ports, and the Carl Zeiss lenses? Will all those remain?
Makes me wonder...

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Not necessarily - if Elop maintains his promise to release one MeeGo device this year, and MeeGo is at that point a good OS, then it could be great. And Elop has put MeeGo on the back burner
Yeah but there won't be any apps for it at that time.

Maybe WP7 is just a tool to earn lots of money to get independent again. But my guess is WP7 is a bit too fancy for the average bloke (not simple icons etc. like the iPhone, lots of text).

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org