Closed Thread
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
ok i see the 205 is just uk vodafone yes?
Dont want that lol

How can you tell if you have the Global firmware?

Im on 2.2009.51-1.203.2

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
ok i see the 205 is just uk vodafone yes?
Dont want that lol
Yes, 205 is UK Vodafone. You probably want the global (MR0) version. There's a fair few people running that in the UK, and they don't seem to be having any issues with it. There's a possibility that warranty claims could run into issues if you're running the wrong firmware though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mod1fied View Post
How can you tell if you have the Global firmware?

Im on 2.2009.51-1.203.2
That's UK - the global equivalent would just report "2.2009.51-1".

i just flash my voda 205 to global one and i also flash emmc so its FRESH! phone is fully restored as i had it before. wat great backup feature!

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Engerland
I have a 203, was getting twitchy, so my logic went thus:

I will probably end up re-flashing to mr0, so what would happen if I added the mr0 repo, and tried an apt-get update; apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr

Well the system is not what you'd call clean, has a few 203 packages installed, and required a little dpkg-foo, but it rebooted and seems fully functional. The firmware version is now 3.2010.02-08.

I'll probably reflash at some point but, I do love the apt. Apologies if anyone else posted about this.

DISCLAIMER: I have used Debian for about 6 years as my primary home OS on arm, mipsel and x86 systems. Trying the above is probably n900 suicide.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Guys... thanks for the suggestion to change the forum theme so I can navigate this forum better on the n900 but how am I able to change the theme when this option is also cut off? Here is a screen so you can see:

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Kenchy View Post
I have a 203, was getting twitchy, so my logic went thus:

I will probably end up re-flashing to mr0, so what would happen if I added the mr0 repo, and tried an apt-get update; apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr

Well the system is not what you'd call clean, has a few 203 packages installed, and required a little dpkg-foo, but it rebooted and seems fully functional. The firmware version is now 3.2010.02-08.

I'll probably reflash at some point but, I do love the apt. Apologies if anyone else posted about this.

DISCLAIMER: I have used Debian for about 6 years as my primary home OS on arm, mipsel and x86 systems. Trying the above is probably n900 suicide.
Care to provide a walk-through of that for us average bears?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
i gave up waiting and flashed to the global firmware. figured the saving in checking for future updates made it worth doing now :-)
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Engerland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Care to provide a walk-through of that for us average bears?
Bear in mind that I haven't fully tested everything on my device, and my n900 may be subtly fscked up in a way I haven't yet noticed. Also please don't hate me if it hurts your n900.

It was basically:

Add a new repo in application manager. Copy of the Nokia one with 203 changed to mr0. I then disabled the original.

apt-get update
apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr

It then downloaded a load of packages blah-blah-blah.

It craps out on hildon-desktop-applet-settings-mr0 (replacing 203). I got a dpkg-divert error.

To fix it (am sure of command only 90% certain that this is the file) I ran:

dpkg --purge hildon-desktop-applet-settings-203
dpkg-divert --remove /etc/hildon-desktop/home.plugins

I got the file for the dpkg-divert from the error message.

I then completed the upgrade with an apt-get -f install.

Like I said I have a few 203 packages remaining. With luck these will be upgraded next time!! Oh well what's the worse that can happen!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenchy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
firmware, my n900 is allergic, no soup for you!, panicky in the uk, pr1.1.1, updates r kewl, whining about whiners, yay - an update