Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
The nice thing about Flash ads are that they're easy to block. HTML5 based ads might be a bit more difficult. Just saying...
Not really. Simply do not autoplay videos, just like Flashblock allows you to not autoplay Flash. I already had a MPlayer plugin for Mozilla Seamonkey back in the days, and its same story with it.

Unfortunately, there was no consensus on which video and audio codec HTML 5 should support which is rather sad. Apple preferred H.264, Mozilla preferred OGG Theora and OGG Vorbis, and Nokia... well from what I remember they said their previous mantra that OGG is patent encumbered.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Not really. Simply do not autoplay videos, just like Flashblock allows you to not autoplay Flash. I already had a MPlayer plugin for Mozilla Seamonkey back in the days, and its same story with it.

Unfortunately, there was no consensus on which video and audio codec HTML 5 should support which is rather sad. Apple preferred H.264, Mozilla preferred OGG Theora and OGG Vorbis, and Nokia... well from what I remember they said their previous mantra that OGG is patent encumbered.
Good to know regarding being able to block HTML5 ads.

I thought H.264 was encumbered as well, which was the big push for OGG, Vorbis and etc?

Well, everything is patented.

Just look at the supposedly patent free vp8, it took ffmpeg devs only 1000 lines of code to implement a decoder for it, because they could reuse many algorithms from the 100,000 lines of h264 code... fishy eh?

As for Flash lite.. I don't remember flash lite ever playing anything at all, though maybe that's changed...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
E...but considering how Adobe handled Maemo, MeeGo, Linux (esp 64bit), WebOS ...
That bolded part about 64-bit Linux is no longer true. Installs 10,2,161,22, whereas Flash Player 10.1 is 10,1,82,76 (or slightly higher, I'm running a debugger Flash Player).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Yes, Adobe Flash is one of the shittiest products in existence:

1) Constantly security vulnerabilities
2) Which aren't patched quickly.
3) A resource hog; browser crasher
4) Required for something as simple as watching a video online
5) Not programmed with portability in mind; not even 64-bit

Perhaps Nokia should've joined the Apple bandwagon, and simply not support Adobe Flash on their products. Sometimes not providing something half baked is worse than providing something half-baked.

Unfortunately Nokia hasn't adopted the alternative (HTML 5 + OGG Vorbis + OGG Theora) either.

Has anyone tried Lightspark btw?
I disagree in regards to Flash 10.1 mobile. Plays all sites fine with no lag and games play smooth too. As far as being vulnerable, any app that accesses your hardware in any manner can be a risk and exploited in some way.

Do you actually have Flash 10.1? Rocks on Android 2.2 and far better than I expected. If you go by the version on the N900, I would agree with your points on resources and also performance.

Flash 9 on N900 and Flash 10.1 on Incredible or Droid 2 is like night and day. Heck, Flash Lite 4 on the Incredible with 2.1 OS blew Flash 9 on the N900 away.

added:

BTW, people stating similar media content on html5 is more efficient than Flash 10.1 final are probably people that have html5 as a vested interest to state such. They are both similar in their resource utilization, but Steve Hand Jobs is pushing html5 for less than "honest" reasons.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-09-16 at 16:32.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
So I can put the planet tracking software used by NASA on my any device because I own the device and it would please me and NASA has to provide the software to me because that would please me?
Wow, they ported that ARM? Sign me up!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I disagree in regards to Flash 10.1 mobile. Plays all sites fine with no lag and games play smooth too. As far as being vulnerable, any app that accesses your hardware in any manner can be a risk and exploited in some way.
Yeah, sure, yet the Linux kernel doesn't have as many vulnerabilities as Adobe Flash. And the Linux kernel accesses my hardware a lot more than Adobe Flash.

Do you actually have Flash 10.1? Rocks on Android 2.2 and far better than I expected. If you go by the version on the N900, I would agree with your points on resources and also performance.

Flash 9 on N900 and Flash 10.1 on Incredible or Droid 2 is like night and day. Heck, Flash Lite 4 on the Incredible with 2.1 OS blew Flash 9 on the N900 away.

added:

BTW, people stating similar media content on html5 is more efficient than Flash 10.1 final are probably people that have html5 as a vested interest to state such. They are both similar in their resource utilization, but Steve Hand Jobs is pushing html5 for less than "honest" reasons.
Thats interesting. I haven't ordered a device with Android 2.2 yet. Can I get Flash 10.1 working on Nitdroid 0.0.8?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
My vested interest is wanting to get rid of unsupported binary blobs that are, due to historical reasons, necessary to view common web content. Efficiency is the least of my concerns - considering past experiences I would rather have a jittery video than a buttery smooth "UPGRADE TO THE NEWEST VERSION OF FLASH".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Thats interesting. I haven't ordered a device with Android 2.2 yet. Can I get Flash 10.1 working on Nitdroid 0.0.8?
Yes.

/10chars

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
My vested interest is wanting to get rid of unsupported binary blobs that are, due to historical reasons, necessary to view common web content. Efficiency is the least of my concerns - considering past experiences I would rather have a jittery video than a buttery smooth "UPGRADE TO THE NEWEST VERSION OF FLASH".
Good point about blob/module dependency.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update