Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
Had my N810 for a day now and first impressions are of a solid well built device but some gripes.

Firstly S L O W...and I'm not just talking a delay loading web pages. Select the EMAIL app and nothing happens. Try again, and again, give up and browse webmail instead then some while later EMAIL loads. Come on! That's bad QA team testing that.

Flash based videos don't run. Most sites I visit have them and on the N810 I am asked to install Flash (which I can't) or nothing appears where the video would have. I hope the Nokia peeps are looking to fix this.

GPS does not work. I have tried in 3 different locations and the satellites cannot be found. On a GPS unit one third of the cost of the N810 the satellites can be found in seconds. Very very disappointed here, especially as one of the primary differences between it and the N800 is GPS.

On a unit costing this much Nokia could have thrown in £2 worth of screen protectors. Come on, it's not hard! Now one has to pay the overpriced options in the shops.

Get Started video/app/whatever never works. Just brings up a white screen and sits there.

I flashed the firmware to the latest version and downloaded some apps. Canola is way off hyped. Scrolling is a nighmare with fingers as the app wants to load the image/movie/you tube selection instead of scrolling from there.

Xournal is good. I like that app. Simple and works well.

FBreader is nice but I need to open the PRC books from the memory card in FileManager before it will add the book to the library. A scan option would be useful.

Skype has no video calling yet. Why? Come on my Estonian friends. Fix please!

GPE Calendar? Hmm... Looks nice but how does one get information into it from the web/Mac/ etc. How does one keep it in sync with another source?

Portrait mode would be useful in all apps.

No option - as far as I know - to remap the buttons on the unit to personal preference.

As I said, this is day 1 so some things I will get used to. I hope Nokia are able to update this with fixes and changes to make the unit more responsive and fix some of the little quirks.

In US, brought from Nokia website

Got my N810 in March 08
Price: us$331.50 (price drop+promo code)

Dislikes: needs a better PDF reader, needs better GPS software.

Favorite App: Majhong

Have fun,
Pat

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Some background on the N810's development (7 slides):

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...une/index.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Have my N810 for a week now.

Good things: wifi and GPS. Numerous third-party apps.

Gripes: slow device. No support for flac and ogg out-of-the-box. Very bad email app, very bad contact app (pretty useless in fact), no MSN support, poor quality of the GPS apps.

In fact, the device by itself is okay but the default apps are horrid and slow.

Though, I still love my N810

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Well now that I had a day to play around with the N810 I'm starting to worry. So far it's not living up to it's hype. Loading a web page is OK, as far a speed, but clicking on a link to go to another website is almost impossible, it attempts to open the website but it just keep loading but never gets to the point where the website page is displayed, almost like it hangs. Compared to my experiences with the iPod touch, it sucks so far to tell the truth, and I know it's not my wireless connection because my Macbook is on the same wireless connection and clicking on a link to another website opens the site fast. I hope updating the firmware will fix this. If not, it's bye bye N810 and Hello iPod touch.

Last edited by TokyoDan; 2008-05-31 at 13:12.

Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
Well now that I had a day to play around with the N810 I'm starting to worry. So far it's not living up to it's hype. Loading a web page is OK, as far a speed, but clicking on a link to go to another website is almost impossible, it attempts to open the website but it just keep loading but never gets to the point where the website page is displayed, almost like it hangs. Compared to my experiences with the iPod touch, it sucks so far to tell the truth, and I know it's not my wireless connection because my Macbook is on the same wireless connection and clicking on a link to another website opens the site fast. I hope updating the firmware will fix this. If not, it's bye bye N810 and Hello iPod touch.
TD, see my reply to this in the Newbie forum, you may have Fit Width To View switched on.

You might want to give examples of sites that don't load so people can tell you if it's typical behaviour on a tablet.

Hmm.. I have had mine for about two weeks and there are things I like and dislike about it, but before I do a list I just want to say that the n810 is soo darned flexible. I have been able to get it to do everything I need and even improve the performance of the device overall (thanks to these forums). It really is more of a UMPC than a PDA type device. I think i have spent as many hours hacking the device logged in via SSH and VNC as I have on the tablet.

Now likes:
screen
connectivity
open source nature
Battery life

Dislikes:
GPS takes forever to lock in
No scroll wheel or Up/down buttons on screen half (I use it mostly closed)
no built-in cron, xmodmap, and a few other *nix standards.
Not enough RAM/FLASH on the device and the onboard 2GB Storage needs to be at least 4GB.
Needs two SD slots like on n800.

But again, I am amazed by the flexibility of the device compared to its competitors (iPod Touch/iPhone, WindowsMobile) and I love the fact that I am not forced into one carrier, but can tether it to any carriers phone.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
I finally got it working fine after a format of the internal mem card and a firmware update. I think I'm going to love this little thing. But even after I updated, I ran into the same "can't load web pages" problem once again. I think my accessing of web pages with flash-based music players may cause these problems. Clearing the browser cache cleared it up though. Also I jumped my guns a little too fast last night and should have applied the advice on this forum before posting negative comments about the N810. I tend too get excited.

I received my N810 yesterday morning and I think I am going to love it! Linux makes it flexible, battery life is great, and with Pidgin I am always in touch. I havn't really suffered from any slowness, but I also keep in mind that this is only a 400MHz processor, so I'm not expecting wonders.

A couple of downsides though. The keyboard is hard for me to type, but that's inevitable in a portable device, and I will probably get better as I get used to the keyboard. The other downside is that I have yet to locate the camera app.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina