Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure that Jolla would have preferred to have gotten it out sooner rather than later. It looks like it will be a real nice tablet and I look forward to its release. But I really don't care to fix on an exact date at this point. I'd rather they get it right. Makes no difference to me if I get it end of May, July or August. I'll somehow manage to survive

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
They made a vague promise a long time ago that they will "endevour to publish one monthly".
Much as one migth want it to be it isn't a vague promise. And it isn't from a long time ago. They continue to assert that they have provided and will continue to provide monthly updates to the OS in the FAQ on their website.

Originally Posted by Jolla FAQ
Our strategy from day one has been to continuously and transparently develop our most important asset Sailfish OS. In just over half a year we have pushed out seven big software updates, bringing new features and fixes to the user experience, on a monthly basis. We are continuing this strategy, i.e. we like to say that your Jolla smartphone gets better every month, and at the end of this year it will not be same as it is now. So in this sense, Jolla smartphone is never outdated or old.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, I would rather be surprised if the tablet actually did ship on time.

But there is still one interesting question remaining - what is the source of the delay ?

If it is due to software, the we indeed can't really expect much from Jolla until the tablet will be released as they will be busy making the tablet software adaptation usable.

If the delay is due to hardware (OEM partner induced delays, etc.) then we might expect Jolla to start yet again working on stuff that is not directly tablet related sooner.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
But there is still one interesting question remaining - what is the source of the delay ?
Jolla say it is hardware. Problems with the display originally selected, so are changing to a different one.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Much as one migth want it to be it isn't a vague promise. And it isn't from a long time ago. They continue to assert that they have provided and will continue to provide monthly updates to the OS in the FAQ on their website.
Compare:

1) "It is our strategy to release an update on a monthly basis."
2) "We will release an update on the last Friday of each month."

Which one sounds more committal?

Not to mention that the FAQ was written a long time ago, as indicated by their reference to "pushing out seven big updates in just over half a year." That may have been true before June 2014 but take any "half a year" since then and count the updates in that period. You will not even use up all the fingers on one hand

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Jolla say it is hardware. Problems with the display originally selected, so are changing to a different one.
Maybe the could slip in an active pen digitizer (Wacom, N-Trig, etc.) when they are at it.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I'd happily wait a couple of extra months more Jolla would "discover a problem with the sound quality" as well and update DAC and speaker(s) way beyond the level of the Jolla phone.
Not too much info about that aspect I find.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Maybe the could slip in an active pen digitizer (Wacom, N-Trig, etc.) when they are at it.
That would be nice!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I've gotta admit, I'm ok -- even happy -- about the delay. I've fallen behind on updating my apps to work with sailfish; now, I'll get another chance to have them in shape by the time hardware becomes available.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I do not believe that just changing screen can mess so much, otherwise they designed OS wrong, that you need to rewrite a lot of stuff if you change screen(size or resolution). Let's say you do not reinstall OS if you change monitor of your desktop. I do understand that some changes have to be done, but as they want to provide OS to other companies - adaptation should be easy one and screen is not so vital part.

I do not care with delay, as delay can happen and at least they told it ahead, as everyone knew it would happen anyway, the problem is that they do not tell what is the real reason of delay and what exact HW changes were made and even why(no need for details, as it can be not only related tothem), but telling "all you need to know..." and saying non tech details without specs like color-something different(do not remember wording) is not exactly fair move to people who bought product.
Let's think what will happen with any seller on ebay or kickstarter who would delay and send at the end different devices, while he knows it already, but still did not updated you with info.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund