Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Every since the mouse and graphical user interface became common ground many people feel more confident to install simple software or "free software".
What not seldom happens next is that they mess up their (Windows) pc and the local nerd is called to help to clean (speed) it up.

Certification of apps by Apple and competitors largely prevents users messing up (slowing down the device to the degree of not being able to successfully answer an incoming phone call) a phone's OS by installing 10 or more fun apps / day.
Correction. Microsoft runs its own quality assurance, along with software signing, WHQL, and tools that are designed to test software to the very limits. It's pretty cool stuff, actually, but I won't get into details here.

Point is, however, that the sheer size of software out there is mind boggling. MS enabled driver signing because it takes a driver error to blue screen Windows and the first question 2 hours later was "how do I disable it".

The only way to keep these drones from infecting themselves is to limit what you can install. But this only works for small communities (by comparison) and even so, people jailbreak their devices. Apple tries hard to separate from these people, up to denying support and locking phones so they keep their image of working stuff.

You can't do this for a larger community.

It's funny, security is pretty good on newer Windows systems, yet I still see 8 of 10 issues with Windows are rooted in malware. Right after a cleanup, as I pack to leave, I see people installing smilie packs from pink blinking sites.

What I am trying to say is, it's basically down to one of two things. Either enforce and actively and forcefully harass users into your policy or you go the Microsoft way (would you believe MS would be on the wrong side of this comparison?) and allow disable thus freeing up users to self-nuke.

So few use native security people think there is none.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You need to pay Apple the yearly subscription only if you want to publish your app through their store.
Not true. Without jailbreaking, you can't get any app on your device without a developer license. And even worse, when your provision expires, any non-app store application will no longer run (unless you keep changing the date).

It's $100 a year. Period. App store or no app store.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Since there appears to be no technical issues, and from what I've seen here, guess there's no significant difference with landscape/portrait modes. I'll evaluate both ways and see which is better (for my preference). Thanks.
I've decided to keep portrait mode. Makes sense especially I need to make calls while driving.

Posts: 1,196 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ndi View Post

It's funny, security is pretty good on newer Windows systems, yet I still see 8 of 10 issues with Windows are rooted in malware. Right after a cleanup, as I pack to leave, I see people installing smilie packs from pink blinking sites.

So few use native security people think there is none.
Sure, I totally agree.
Most users don't understand or accept security on their (private) Windows PC AND they want to install programs.
Hence my saying is that they still continue to mess up their Windows PC easily and blame MS.

My referring to Apple certification was about their central shop concept from where users can download the "funny Smiley pack" all day long without compromising their incoming call while enjoying a feeling of freedom within their sandbox.

Point is that when besides using the factory provided functionality (which can be hit or miss, depending on individual requirement) downloading "free" apps is an objective an sich then the N900, with it's low mass entertainment appeal, will most likely provide a disappointing experience.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You need to pay Apple the yearly subscription only if you want to publish your app through their store.
You need to pay $99 to load the software on any phone at all. That gets you the ability to do live debugging on the device while attached to your Mac, and the ability to do a limited release of signed keys and signed .app packages. These limited releases have a maximum number (100) of users and will expire within a couple months.

So yes, unless you jailbreak you must pay Apple $99 to put software on your own phone, and you'll have to resign and republish it to your own device every few months.

Apple does not want you outside their garden.

How old are you???

We don't even have working facebook app. And don't tell me that it is quite common to use the web browser to go to facebook.

Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
We don't even have working facebook app.
A Facebook "app" is not necessary. Necessary is a standards compliant mobile website.

And don't tell me that it is quite common to use the web browser to go to facebook.
It is. But for some reason on mobile devices people use "Apps" instead. Defeats the purpose of having a web browser, if you ask me.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
A Facebook "app" is not necessary. Necessary is a standards compliant mobile website.

It is. But for some reason on mobile devices people use "Apps" instead. Defeats the purpose of having a web browser, if you ask me.

ROFL. I know the same answer would come up.

I can not stand seeing the tiny fonts on websites. I have better use for my eyes.

What about instagram/picplz type of app?

They don't have a web interface at all!

Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
ROFL. I know the same answer would come up.

I can not stand seeing the tiny fonts on websites. I have better use for my eyes.
Like I said, properly designed. Facebook should have a well functioning mobile website that takes the dpi of some screens into account.

What about instagram/picplz type of app?

They don't have a web interface at all!
Terrible, isn't it? Mobile services restricted to access via "Apps" is so totally broken it's stupid.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Like I said, properly designed. Facebook should have a well functioning mobile website that takes the dpi of some screens into account.

Terrible, isn't it? Mobile services restricted to access via "Apps" is so totally broken it's stupid.
If I didn't see this discussion about Facebook app, I would not have think there was any problem using a web browser to run Facebook, and I still don't think it's a problem. Opera works just as well or we could still just enlarge the view?

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest