Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Kimitake probably did a lot more work on EBView, he even posted his Qt port I saw at the MeeGo Day event back in September:

http://kimitakeblog.net/item/756

Which, as I remember, was much better suited to the N900's screen size. Had I known it was posted, I would probably have moved on to it earlier
Thanks for that.. I did try Kimitake's QT port of the EBView, it doesnt seem to work for me with all the Scim-bridge for entering nihono in the QT app. However another QT app QStarDict works fine.

But with all the EPWing data I have, I would love to have the EBView work properly on the n900 for me.

I trimmed all of those arrow buttons, and let the search box expand to fill the rest of the space. That did require editing the program's source code and recompiling. I, unfortunately, am not familiar with packaging things properly so my "install" is basically a tarball I unpacked on my device.
If its not too much to ask, would you mind sharing your customized EBView tarball ( with a more visibile Search input field). I hope it is just about untarring it into /opt where the current EBView is? I would appreciate your inputs on that.

The menus there are probably due to setting the LANG environment variable, likely LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 or similar, you could set those in the script as well.
I will try this.. Actually I found this link where someone had created a neat .deb package for JP locale setup.. But the link isnot available anymore. I have wrote to the author. Would anyone here have this .deb file ..

I've been reading this thread enthusiastically because I'm thinking about buying a N900 myself and I live in Japan.

I currently use a Nokia E71 with Softbank. It works well except I can't write sms or mms in Japanese, but I do receive them. Sometimes they don't open in the mail app, so I have to browse through the attachments one by one, and save the text one to the sd card, then use a 3rd party app to read it. Its slow and a pain, and sometimes I can't even save the attachment at all!
The only thing I like about the E71 is battery life and its VoIP integration (this is a must for me since I use an Asterisk PBX all the time).

So the main reason for me to buy a N900 is because I'm a big linux fan and this cellphone is completely open, and uses things like v4l, pulseaudio, etc. I might even write some software for it.

I would like to know of any compatibility issues using the N900 in Japan, especially using mms: showing emoticons and animations that people use with their japanese cellphones.

Is there any other thing that I should be aware before buying the N900 for use in Japan?

@Shin:

Let me dig for a bit, I don't know if I still have the tarball, though I should.

Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post
I would like to know of any compatibility issues using the N900 in Japan, especially using mms: showing emoticons and animations that people use with their japanese cellphones.
Such wide character sets may not be supported, I'm not sure to what extent the N900 offers. Might require additional code and pixmaps if they're insufficient as-is. Actually getting mms messages may be harder, since this thread alone tells tales of the carriers being real damn picky (at least Softbank) about the devices they allow on, and giving out information on their servers.

Is there any other thing that I should be aware before buying the N900 for use in Japan?
This thread tells a lot of the pitfalls. If you go Softbank, the main rule seems to be "don't tell anyone what you're using." I'm not sure if DoCoMo sells sim-only access to fOma, but it works quite well with the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
So, anyone have had any luck with Softbank prepaid sim cards in n900s?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
shin: I've found an old copy of that locales file from googling however the package is seriously broken and there's no hinting as to whether or not will this be updated or not.

Link to file: http://momoyan0306.web.fc2.com/n900/...5-r294_all.deb

Installation goes fine on PR1.3, however you won't get ja_JP in the Settings > Language & region > Device language. I have dug deeper via comparing to the unofficial n900-extras-locales-zhtw from extras-devel and it seems like the file structures were either outdated or quite different. In addition to all that, it seems PR1.3 has a locale-archive for all the locales to be compiled into one big archive hence the lack of individual files inside each of the /usr/lib/locale/<lang> respectively.

I have made some small hacks with minimal success. The first attempt was to compile locale-archive to contain ja_JP as localesdef --list will show there's no ja_JP entry.
Code:
localedef -f UTF-8 -i ja_JP ja_JP.utf-8
This command then adds ja_JP locale from /usr/lib/locale/ja_JP/* into the locales-archive after a few moments of giving the device the time to remake the archive.

I then backed up /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES before proceeding to copy the contents of /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/* to /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja/
Code:
tar jcvf /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES.backup.`date +"%d-%m-%Y`.tar.bz2 /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/*

cp /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja
After rebooting I was able to see the ja_JP locale written of course in kanji but sadly after rebooting when using ja_JP has lead to only English locale for all the GUI portion. Funnily enough some of the commands in terminal did get shown up with portions of Japanese characters such as wget --help, ls -l, etc.

Inevitably this is now where I am stuck. There's Japanese words going through to the programs in terminal yet on the GUI side only the date formats and the days of the week is shown in Japanese.

Update: I have tried making duplicate directories under /usr/share/locale/ja to have /usr/share/locale/ja_JP as well as /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja to have /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale/ja_JP. Again no success.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
@Tuxsavvy

Thanks for looking into that.. While looking for this locale .deb from momoyan0306 from the link I mentioned above I managed to find a .deb version that works well on PR 1.3. If you are interested pls let me know and I shall PM you the installable. Since the original author doesnt seem to host this file anymore ( all links to this file on his site are broken ) and I managed to get this file from someone else who has saved it up, I am not posting it here

Is anyone here using keyholeTV ..

This may be of interest to those who are not in Japan but still would like to listen to Japanese AM/FM stations and also watch Japanese TV realtime. Target interest group would also include people learning Japanese.

It is based on P2P technology and they seem to have versions for Windows, Mac, WinMobile and also for linux/

It would be good to have this working on the n900..

I have used keyhole TV on my desktop computer, and indeed would like to see it working on N900. Currently I can watch dozens of live TV streams from China, Taiwan and Korea. Nothing from Japan...

Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post
I've been reading this thread enthusiastically because I'm thinking about buying a N900 myself and I live in Japan.

I currently use a Nokia E71 with Softbank. It works well except I can't write sms or mms in Japanese, but I do receive them. Sometimes they don't open in the mail app, so I have to browse through the attachments one by one, and save the text one to the sd card, then use a 3rd party app to read it. Its slow and a pain, and sometimes I can't even save the attachment at all!
The only thing I like about the E71 is battery life and its VoIP integration (this is a must for me since I use an Asterisk PBX all the time).

So the main reason for me to buy a N900 is because I'm a big linux fan and this cellphone is completely open, and uses things like v4l, pulseaudio, etc. I might even write some software for it.

I've attempted to use an N900 as my main phone in Japan but it wasn't really much of a success.

MMS - I got MMS working with fMMS on the Softbank network but I often had problems where I couldn't receive/open MMSs from Au or Docomo users. Didn't happen all of the time but a lost message isn't good. Other problems include not being able to check the server for messages which haven't yet been pushed to the phone yet (I don't know if that has changed in fMMS yet).

Emoji - I did manage to experiment with the emoticons to get some of the Softbank emoji to appear, though I never finished the solution.

Voicemail - Couldn't use DTMF tones to control my Softbank voicemail system.

Contacts/Phonebook - No katakana reading fields. Also there is no international number prefix setting, so if your numbers are in international format (+81), then you need to change them to local format before you can make a call from the Contacts application.

Maps - No real GoogleMaps for N900 means a very poor User Experience (compared to the S60 Google Maps app). Ovi Maps for Japan just basically tells you you are in Tokyo, no more details than that.

Infra-red - You may know about business card exchange using mobiles in Japan. IR port lacks SW for N900, so you can't easily exchange contact details.

Hate to say this but I personally would not recommend using the N900 in Japan.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Infra-red is a little outdated don't you think? I think people would exchange business cards, v-cards and what not via bluetooth? Though iirc N900's infra-red was detailed somewhere that it does not follow the regulations of the IRDA hence the lack of infra-red apps except for instance qtirreco .

As for google maps, there's no official ones from google which is a given. However there's GeePS (available from Extras under PR1.3) which utilises google maps.