Notices

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Vi is the best editor.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
When did this forum get so bitter and angry?
Good question, and one that probably needs answering. I know that this is why I've gone from being an active participant _here on TMO_ to hardly visiting to read, let alone posting.

I used to try provide a [mostly] positive viewpoint, but realistically, you're either responding to trolls, or people who *usually* won't see reason anyway, so I don't see a point. I've better things to do with my time. I don't think I'm alone here either.

...and before I get the usual crowd jumping on me and calling me a fan-boy, I'd rather talk about the positive and _do things_ to fix the negative than sit around bellyaching about it endlessly, I'm not saying that Nokia, nor anyone else, is perfect - but seriously, if I wanted doom and gloom 24x7, I'd go find a bunch of emos to hang out with - I came to Maemo because I wanted to learn cool things, do cool things, and meet great people.

(Note: I'm not going anywhere. Yet, at least.)

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I agree with the negative vibe here on TMO and i tend to read and partisipate in only a handfull of threads wich is of my interest and sadly those threads has also been subject to bad attitude, demands and bad behavior.
Too many people here at TMO just don't have people skills and how to interact with others. Yes you have to stand up for yourself and set boundaries, but that can be done easiely without bad mouthing anybody or name calling.

Either way this farewell app from qwerty just kicks nokias *** and is very usefull... Thanks qwerty...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
When did this forum get so bitter and angry?
Silence- from Nokia- and that silence causing and being filled by bitterness and dissapointment, both of which give birth to angriness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Silence- from Nokia- and that silence causing and being filled by bitterness and dissapointment, both of which give birth to angriness.
And, of course, they take it out on the community forum (and its members) instead of making noise in Nokia's official forums. Which results in their forums being mostly clean and these forums being a disaster.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And, of course, they take it out on the community forum (and its members) instead of making noise in Nokia's official forums. Which results in their forums being mostly clean and these forums being a disaster.
Yes, I was mearly commenting on cause, not defending it's effects.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
Either way this farewell app from qwerty just kicks nokias *** and is very usefull... Thanks qwerty...
Yeah, if only his boot was aimed closer to Nokia's *** and not the community's...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, if only his boot was aimed closer to Nokia's *** and not the community's...
To be fair, while I'd note that Nokia have made their fair share of mistakes (MyNokia being my least favourite), I'm equally disappointed with the lack of _proactive_ response from the community on things at times, I can't remember where I read it or when but I think it was Jaffa noting that there is a severe lack of people standing up and making things happen.. one of the foremost examples of this in my mind is Modest - the mail client on your n900.

E-mail clients are something that everyone loves to complain about, yet, did you know that Modest is actually completely open for you to hack on, work on, and change to your liking? Granted, there are some people who have risen to the challenge there, and you have my kudos, but for every one person who hacks, there are a lot more with what I like to call 'entitlement disorder'.

(Before going into that I'd like to just very clearly note that I don't consider hacking being the only valuable community contribution, but likewise, I don't consider bellyaching to be a valuable community contribution)

By 'entitlement disorder', I mean that because it has little or no monetary value associated with it, it should fulfil their every desire and whim and be perfect - without any effort or assistance from them.. and for community-run software, this just isn't feasible.

(and yes, in this, I do include things like Modest - even if you can't fix it, you can file a bug, try promote attention to your cause, offer bounties to someone who might be willing to fx it.. whatever. Be imaginative!)

It's more visible in some parts of Maemo than others - like extras-testing and the time it takes to get promoted (not that I can comment on that, I quite like extras-devel).. and sure, there are technical sides to this problem in that the barrier to provide feedback on apps is really too high (it should be part of app manager..) - but you get the point.

So, cutting short my rambling.. the community members we _do_ have who contribute are great, and I love each and every one of you.. but I wish to god we could clone you all many, many times.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I knew it!

errr....k.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
I can unequivocally say this is one of the best piece of shyt I have ever added to the N900.

Tags
childish, fa[n]bo[j]s, icanhazapp?, ranting, reality, ridiculous, strong language, teen_angst, warning