Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maemo - possible, if we get all components (drivers, etc.). It might be easier to port Maemo libs to Sailfish. (Maybe HF would get permission to redist some of it)
Resistive - impossible, 'cause many apps will take advantage of multitouch gestures. A hybrid touchscreen is the only way out.
qwerty - would love it!
quad core - would love it!
would we really need to? I mean cordia is pretty close, and am sure its being built on top of the mer core.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
CordiaHD has been (mostly) lifeless for well over 1-year now...
Instead of splitting into a million different environments, why not just back Nemo/Sailfish.
If we want it to be more like Freemantle/Hildon we can influence that, we make it what we want.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-19 at 05:45. Reason: typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Wikiwide;1345983[...
The Jolla's concept is revolutional. Imagine: by changing the other half, you switch from private-contacts, and memory with private documents, to business-contacts, and memory with business documents.
You can have as many "other halves" as you wish, enabling ultimate information security. It's like exchanging microSD cards - only much easier to use, since microSD cards can be lost or confused easily.

[...]
Bluetooth uses a lot of power, as any wireless technology.
I expect my PDA/MID/device to support such switching between private and business usage by simple selection of profiles, NOT by having to carry OHs with me. I bet I always forgot the "private OH" at home when I want to call my friends from office to plan the evening. And when in the evening I'm with my friends, I miss the "office OH" to call a colleague about that detail that just occurred to me should get sorted immediately.
Ultimate information security is achieved by proper encryption, not by leaving unencrypted "pluggable storage" at home where any burglar can take it away.
The argument about uSD vs OH is like suggesting to go back to Sony Walkman and Phillips cassette since then you don't need to carry your complete album collection with you and cassette is way less prone to lose than any more contemporary storage medium.

re BT: no, it's actually pretty power humble, it comes with 100, 10 or even 1mW output power, and the most recent standard revisions are really almost for free while just receiving. I kept my BT enabled all the time on my N900, I couldn't detect any adverse effects on standby time.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-06-19 at 09:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Jollas concept is nevertheless revolutionary - customizing the device: landscape qwerty, portrait or touchscreen only - its all up to you.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I expect my PDA/MID/device to support such switching between private and business usage by simple selection of profimes, NOT by having to carry OHs with me. I bet I always don't have the "private OH" at home when I want to call my friends from office to plan the evening. And when in the evening I'm with my friends, I miss the "office OH" to call a colleague about that detailthat just occurred to me should get sorted immediately.

Ultimate information security is achieved by proper encryption, not by leaving unencrypted "pluggable storage" at home where any burglar can take it away.
The argument about uSD vs OH is like suggesting to go back to Sony Walkman and Phillips cassette since then you don't need to carry your complete album collection with you and cassette is way less prone to lose than any more contemporary storage medium.
"Nods effusively...."
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...30#post1350430
If the OH is only about triggering different sw env/profiles, I'll be very disappointed, probably even downright angry.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Jollas concept is nevertheless revolutionary - customizing the device: landscape qwerty...
Except we still don't know if that'll definitely be a option...
And will it be limited to that, or will the interfaces (power/data) will be substantial enough for even more?
So we can't really call it "revolutionary" yet, unfortunately.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-19 at 08:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Seems to have gone a bit quiet on the hwkb front with regard to substantial news

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Finland-based carrier DNA has confirmed it will be the first operator in the world to offer Jolla phones...
Best wishes.
[Edit]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolla#...ular_expansion
[/Edit]
[Edit]
http://www.crucial.com.au/blog/2013/...ooks-gorgeous/
My example of otherHalf usage: you insert Jolla phone into a music-system (with large, high-fidelity speakers, et cetera), and Jolla feeds your latest favourite music to the system, while the system charges Jolla's battery. Whether the system is capable of downloading the whole music file from Jolla and continuing playing it afterwards or not, this would still be a good use case. Of course, you already can connect a phone to a music system with an audio cable through phone's jack, and use a separate cable to charge phone at the same time. But just sliding the phone into OtherHalf slot would be quicker and easier, and the cables would not tie around your ankles causing the whole system to fall down.
Or, slide the Jolla phone into OtherHalf slot of drinks-vending machine on a train platform, and Jolla would tell the machine which drink you prefer, ask the price, decide whether you want to buy anything, order it from the machine and pay for it from your credit-card-electronic-wallet-whatever; you would take the Jolla in one hand, drink-or-snack in another hand, and absentmindedly enter the train, not forgetting to mind the gap.
Of course, all of this requires that the music-system-or-snack-vending-machine would present their credentials, Jolla would check them, and somehow trust them. It also requires proper set-up of Jolla's software, so that it wouldn't pay $1000 for a cup of coffee. And proper set-up of your wallet, so that it wouldn't let through fraudulent transactions. Maintaining your privacy will not be easy in interconnected world.
For example, Jolla shouldn't, in fact, tell your preferences to the vending machine; it should query the machine's price-list of all available products, compare it with Jolla's information about your preferences, and give to the machine only the final result - the order itself. Even then, the vending machine should have no information which can be used to trace you, such as credit card number or Jolla's own credentials such as IMEI number or phone number. Now I am getting confused...
[/Edit]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-06-19 at 11:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
CordiaHD has been (mostly) lifeless for well over 1-year now...
Instead of splitting into a million different environments, why not just back Nemo/Sailfish.
If we want it to be more like Freemantle/Hildon we can influence that, we make it what we want.
or we can take cordia whack it on top of mer and make that the new nemo :P i just love the maemo GUI tbh, the sheer freedom of it, and even though Android is fairly similiar it still doesn't feel like a mini computer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
To me it makes more sense to influence Nemo's direction, no UX is ever "perfect", they all have their strengths/weaknesses & limitations.
Keep the good bits from Nemo, ditch the bad, bring in some good characteristics from Hildon (& elsewhere), learn/adapt/evolve...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
My example of otherHalf usage: you insert Jolla phone into a music-system (with large, high-fidelity speakers, et cetera),
[...]
Or, slide the Jolla phone into OtherHalf slot of drinks-vending machine on a train platform,
[...]
Of course, all of this requires that the music-system-or-snack-vending-machine would present their credentials, Jolla would check them, and somehow trust them.
It would be anything new, if they would implement those features by TOH. Basically it can be achieved by NFC along with some other components I would expect the phone to have without TOH.

Using it with a music player reminds me of the presentation of Nokias Lumia phones. The exact workflow you describe is realised with a combination of Qi-loading, NFC to action the devices music player and BT for audio playback.

Drink vending is being pushed by manufacturers and providers via NFC.

Security and privacy are the most concerns I have about those technologies as they are implemented right now (with NFC and alike).

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo