That did it Niwakame, thanks!

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Will it be possible to watch streaming videos with OVP in the future?

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Will it be possible to watch streaming videos with OVP in the future?
There is no reason why it can't be done. What kind of streams do you have in mind?

My website

GitHub

Well my operator provides mobile television and with the player that's built in and takes care of the stream i get a smaller picture and i'd like to stretch it through the screen but there's no option to do that. it makes no difference if i go to settings -> applications -> videos and select the "always in full screen" option, seems like that doesn't apply for the player that plays the streams or something.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
I vote for raw mpeg2 streams with user adjustable buffer length and m3u and pls playlist integration for those

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niwakame For This Useful Post:
I vote rtsp as supported by the default video player and/or ts muxed http like vlc can do. Both using h264 avc and aac codecs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uber For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Support will be subject to the limitations of the QtMultimediaKit APIs.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
I don't know if it's just me but i notice stuttering in videos played with OVP but the same videos are played smoothly with the default video player. I'm playing a show, 56min length, 370MB, 624 x 352.

Last edited by olympus; 2011-12-19 at 17:52.

What about UPNP/DLNA? I read somewhere that this already exists on N9, but without UI. Would be cool if we can browse Media collections with the Open Video Player!

UPNP availability on N9 was mentioned here: http://www.nokiablog.ch/dlna-flash-beim-n9/3612/

Last edited by zappAtom; 2011-12-20 at 09:21.

I have a slight word of warning to those considering OVP as a 1:1 replacement for the stock player.

OVP uses texture streaming to render the video, wheres the stock player uses a video overlay. Easy way to detect that is to swipe the window, and if the video content moves with the window, it's using texture streaming. If the video content doesn't move, it's using the overlay. Gallery also uses texture streaming BTW.

The major drawback of texture streaming is that it's less efficient than the overlay path. You can easily just check 'top' output during playback, and you'll see that with texture streaming the CPU alone is significantly more busy than with the overlay path, most of which can probably be attributed to driver overhead. There's also the fact that with texture streaming there is more memory traffic.

The energy profiler can be used to check the difference in power consumption. I did a quick test by playing the same h264 clip in each of the players. The power readings were ~1.0 W for the stock player, and ~1.2 W for OVP. It's not quite as bad as I feared, but it would still mean ~1h extra playback time with the stock player with this clip. Assuming I can trust what the energy profile tells me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syrjala For This Useful Post:

Tags
more features, video player