Notices

Originally Posted by thp View Post
About syncing the desktop version with the tablet version: You can easily set up an rsync job and some symlinks in your home directory on the tablet to get the desired effect of syncing the gPodder downloaded files and program state between the Maemo and Desktop versions. They use the exact same configuration and file layout (i.e. same codebase, only maemo-specific UI tweaks mostly)
/media/mmc1/gpodder/

Ok so I got around to looking at it. And it seems the gpodder folder on my mmc1 has the folder downloads, torrents, database.sqlite, gpodder.conf.

While my Linux directory with the podcasts is currently...

/home/user/gpodder-downloads

Then inside that folder is several folders and a torrents folder. I just need to sync the contents of the gpodder-downloads to my /gpodder folder on my tablet? Or do I put it inside the downloads folder inside the gpodder directory?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
/home/user/gpodder-downloads

Then inside that folder is several folders and a torrents folder. I just need to sync the contents of the gpodder-downloads to my /gpodder folder on my tablet? Or do I put it inside the downloads folder inside the gpodder directory?
Put the contents of your gpodder-downloads folder into /media/mmc2/gpodder/downloads.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Using mmc2 seems like a big no-no to me. I actually have gpodder's config files on mmc2 and keep all my podcasts on mmc1 (where I have MUCH more space and can remove the card more easily).

Shouldn't gpodder be using a ~/.gpodder for its configuration (just like on the desktop)? That way it can have all the database and podcasts identified as existing on EITHER card without requiring mmc2 to be touched at all with the added benefit of getting included in backups when you use the n8x0's backup tools?

Hmm it didn't seem to work (I copied and pasted the contents over). But starting up Gpodder still thinks there's no podcasts added to the list. I added one from the example list provided (rocketboom) but it still doesn't see the other podcasts.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Okay first things first...

THANK YOU!!!!!

I love it. But I think I broke it... the MP3 files that I download play just fine but the names are all garbled, the podcast I subscribe to is a radio show where they break down the 5 hr show into 15 tracks... so its kind of important that I know which one is which, but the track info, and mp3 file name when downloaded through gPodder is all nonsense. When I download the same podcast manually, or throught iTunes the mp3 names are fine.

Did I tweak a setting or something and f it up?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by KilroyPerrywinkle View Post
Okay first things first...

THANK YOU!!!!!

I love it. But I think I broke it... the MP3 files that I download play just fine but the names are all garbled, the podcast I subscribe to is a radio show where they break down the 5 hr show into 15 tracks... so its kind of important that I know which one is which, but the track info, and mp3 file name when downloaded through gPodder is all nonsense. When I download the same podcast manually, or throught iTunes the mp3 names are fine.

Did I tweak a setting or something and f it up?

Thanks again.
You know... I've seen that happen sometimes. It's not consistent--more often than not, it looks fine for me with my podcasts but once in a while I'll get a weird name show up as the track's title in the Media player that the N800 came with.

On the other hand, if I tell gpodder to launch xmms as the player--no problems so far for the several days I've been doing that. I'm starting to wonder if it's something in the Media Player.. or if maybe it's something gpodder is doing to the id3 tag in the podcast?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Shouldn't gpodder be using a ~/.gpodder for its configuration (just like on the desktop)? That way it can have all the database and podcasts identified as existing on EITHER card without requiring mmc2 to be touched at all with the added benefit of getting included in backups when you use the n8x0's backup tools?
I thought using an external memory card instad of /home would prolong the lifetime of the internal flash memory, that's why I decided to use mmc2. There is no problem using something else, I just have to change the code accordingly.

Do the backup tools backup dotfiles in the user's home folder?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You know... I've seen that happen sometimes. It's not consistent--more often than not, it looks fine for me with my podcasts but once in a while I'll get a weird name show up as the track's title in the Media player that the N800 came with.

On the other hand, if I tell gpodder to launch xmms as the player--no problems so far for the several days I've been doing that. I'm starting to wonder if it's something in the Media Player.. or if maybe it's something gpodder is doing to the id3 tag in the podcast?
gPodder saves the file names internally using the md5 of the episode URL. See http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/FAQs for a description of the reasons behind that. Sadly, not all episodes include ID3 tags, so episodes without ID3 tags do not get their filename shown as title. You can set the configuration variable "experimental_file_naming" to "True" to get the desired base names for podcasts, but it does not work for all podcasts (that's why it's experimental..).

Please also read: http://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57

The podcast description field (just like the episode description field) is read-only. You cannot edit it. That's a feature, not a bug. You can edit the podcast title if you wish to do so.

The description of the error appears in the tooltip in the Desktop version, of course it doesn't happen on ITs. Red color means some error with the feed (for example, the server sent the wrong character encoding, etc..). Other errors like 404 are also shown by having a "red" podcast in the list.
I've found that if I'm blocked (on my company's network at work or on a wifi hotspot before accepting an agreement or something) and redirected to a page telling me that I'm blocked, the description field will contain text from the page (ie: 'Please wait while you are being redirected...' and then it never goes away).

It also completely shuffled the order of my podcasts, too. I'm not even sure why that is relevant. (On that note... any way for me to do any kind of sorting in maemo?)

Is there some way to fix this?

I thought using an external memory card instad of /home would prolong the lifetime of the internal flash memory, that's why I decided to use mmc2. There is no problem using something else, I just have to change the code accordingly.

Do the backup tools backup dotfiles in the user's home folder?
/media/mmc2 is the internal card
/media/mmc1 is the removable card

And yep--it appears that the backup tool does back up . rcs folders, alright.

Tags
media, podcasts