Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
MęPad 1.3 "The Substitute" has been released today with these changes:

Code:
maepad (1.3) fremantle; urgency=low

* "The Substitute" release
  * Support for Vim keybindings (navigation, checklist editing)
  * Code clean-ups (remove #defines)
  * Added Hungarian translation (by Gyorgy Lakatos)
  * Updated Finnish translation (by Marko Vertainen)

-- Thomas Perl <thp@thpinfo.com>  Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:39:52 -0800
Bug 9070 is still not fixed, so again no Maemo Extras action for this release. No problem: The source and binary packages are already available, linked from the MęPad website for your convenience.

You want to read the README with list of keybindings for some keyboard-ish productivity enhancements. Pin a hardcopy of this to your wall or above your bed for the best learning effect. If you are a hardcore Vim user already, most of the keybindings should be familiar to you. Tell me if you're missing anything!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
..and a short video of the keybindings in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSOBYzUVqA

Originally Posted by thp View Post
..and a short video of the keybindings in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSOBYzUVqA
I really like these shortcuts and will give MaePad another look now, as it looks a lot more productive now!

One thing, though, why don't you use more standard shortcuts for some of the shortcuts? E.g. T for going to the Top and B for Bottom, X for Delete and Yank and C for Copy and Yank? Can these shortcuts be user defined??? Would be ideal.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
* Support for Vim keybindings (navigation, checklist editing)
[...]
You want to read the README with list of keybindings for some keyboard-ish productivity enhancements. Pin a hardcopy of this to your wall or above your bed for the best learning effect. If you are a hardcore Vim user already, most of the keybindings should be familiar to you. Tell me if you're missing anything!
Perfect. Thanks for this. I will see, if I can paste the bindings in a separate note (or conboy page ) so I have it accessible on demand.

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
One thing, though, why don't you use more standard shortcuts for some of the shortcuts? E.g. T for going to the Top and B for Bottom, X for Delete and Yank and C for Copy and Yank? Can these shortcuts be user defined??? Would be ideal.
I tried to model the keybindings after Vim (most apply to vi, too). Vim users should already feel familiar with these keys (not all of them, though).

Also, some keys that you mentioned (X, C) are in a very bad physical position - you have to bring your left thumb in a uncomfortable position. If you try to hold your N900 with both hands (keyboard opened), and the thumbs on the keyboard, the most "relaxing" position is the upper center area. Many often-used actions (replace, yank, insert, create) are placed near the center of the upper row, and others (delete+yank, goto top/bottom, navigation) are placed near the center of the middle row.

Can these be user-defined? Not yet, and I don't plan adding this. Too much complexity for little gain (just learn the keybindings if you are not familiar with them, and you might get more productive when using Vim, too). I will add new keybindings to actions that are not yet mapped if someone requests them.

And no, I won't be adding an Emacs mode - there are too few modifier keys on the N900's keyboard =) (Emacs fans are probably already using Org-mode instead of MęPad, anyway...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
I am starting to use MaePad more, but I run into the question of how it is supposed to be used. This may sound like a strange question, but let me explain what I refer to.

I have created a data base, and started adding notes. As is logical, I guess, I use a hierarchy to add some structure to the notes. However, now that I have quite some notes, going through them becomes rather cumbersome as the only navigation options is going up and down all the notes and it is difficult to identify the different levels in the hierarchy because it almost looks the same.

How does MaePad supposedly deal with that level of complexity that naturally arises in any notes application?

I don't know whether this is possible, but could it be useful to add something like this:
  • the ability to collapse levels (look at Projekt S80 or S60 from Kylom to see what I mean)
  • Having different formats for different levels in the hierarchy
  • Allowing the creation of folders and folders within folders, and allow them to be collapsable.
  • Allow easy ways of moving a note within the hierarchy, e.g. by CTRL+<arrow key>

I guess what I am trying to say is that I need more features that allow me to structure and organise the information. Projekt S80 for my old communicator was a very nice note application and I think there may be some features that could be useful for MaePad

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bheetebrij For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I can't use the "f" key in text memos, and have filled a bug in maepad's tracker. Each time I press f, the window gets maximized, but no "f" char appear.
It's only me?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I can't use the "f" key in text memos, and have filled a bug in maepad's tracker. Each time I press f, the window gets maximized, but no "f" char appear.
It's only me?
Same here. You are not alone.

It's only me?
Same here, a big bug - but quite amusing in some twisted way...

/Fredrik

It's only me?
Fixed in Git: http://repo.or.cz/w/maepad.git/commitdiff/a4f3329c8a8

Thanks for the report.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: