Active Topics

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Pipe dream kid.
So you grown up, which part of that is the pipe dream ?

Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
So you grown up, which part of that is the pipe dream ?
Maemo.org (originally Internettablettalk.com) has been around for a very long time and has specialized in Nokia tablets in particular. At no point has our existance had any sort of weight on Nokias delivery of goods or services.

The pipe dream is believing that somehow it suddenly will.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Maemo.org (originally Internettablettalk.com) has been around for a very long time and has specialized in Nokia tablets in particular. At no point has our existance had any sort of weight on Nokias delivery of goods or services.

The pipe dream is believing that somehow it suddenly will.
lol...ok, assuming the wait for 1.2 was being called a pipe dream.

Agree with you and hence the reason I said, doesn't happen with Nokia.

I think maybe we should ignore the pr 1.2. Every day I think it will be today, will be tomorrow and nokia will not comment on that.

If with this unofficial version of the internet, there isnt a comment from the nokia to official version is because it will still take a long time to leave. Otherwise, the nokia would say something like "do not install this version, the official version will come out within a week ..."

I love my N900, but I think it was a mistake i bought it, if was today i would have opted for other equipment.

I think nokia has lost much market and currently is not able to throw a good competitor to aple (what might have happened if they had given attention to the N900).

The Following User Says Thank You to asfig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It would be interesting to see what is released first: MeeGo or PR 1.2.

If MeeGo is released first I imagine Nokia's influence will become a little more irrelevant.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I believe that there are 2 things that are really holding the release of PR1.2:

1) Ovi store. Nokia needs to have this working to show Meego supporters that they can in fact sell software to Nokia linux based device. The first couple of tries were obviously failures, another failure in this would likely doom the Ovi store, at least for the N900. Sygic already had to go outside the store to sell their map application. No company will be porting apps to the N900 or Meego based devices if they can't sell them. QT4.6 won't make a difference there.

2) Nokia Maps. I think we can all agree that Maps on the N900 is pretty poor. Given the fact that many other Nokia phones are getting Maps for free, leaving it in the state it is on the N900 would be a slap in the face for N900 users. It needs a lot of improvement.

The sad part is that neither of these problems are under the control of the Maemo / Meego devices group. Like it or not, there is a lot of hype around this update. If Nokia can't get a reasonable version of Maps working, and have a working store with paid apps starting to filter in (ported or new), I think that a lot of potential sales will turn elsewhere.

So, I think we won't see an update until these two items are fixed, and that may be quite some time yet.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by asfig View Post
I think maybe we should ignore the pr 1.2. Every day I think it will be today, will be tomorrow and nokia will not comment on that.

If with this unofficial version of the internet, there isnt a comment from the nokia to official version is because it will still take a long time to leave.
OK, let's give Nokia a week to publish an official PR1.2

If it doesn't do, then so - let's move on LPR1.2 and forget about Nokia and start autonomous development. One month stop in development is already TOO much... and I don't say anything about customers waiting for fixing bugs like blocking video play in system media player...

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Now some or all of these would make Nokia win back everyone here and some.

- Voice guidance with ovi maps and OwnVoice support.
- Vertical orientation support for desktop/launcher/media player/ham.
If both of these things were being pushed into PR1.2 for Nokia's first "one more thing..." marketing, I would be posting all over singing Nokia's praises rather than *****ing. I'd be quite content for quite a while.

Unfortunately, "one more thing..." will likely be something we already know about (and for most people, don't care about) like chinese character support or something.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I believe that there are 2 things that are really holding the release of PR1.2:

1) Ovi store. Nokia needs to have this working to show Meego supporters that they can in fact sell software to Nokia linux based device. The first couple of tries were obviously failures, another failure in this would likely doom the Ovi store, at least for the N900. Sygic already had to go outside the store to sell their map application. No company will be porting apps to the N900 or Meego based devices if they can't sell them. QT4.6 won't make a difference there.

2) Nokia Maps. I think we can all agree that Maps on the N900 is pretty poor. Given the fact that many other Nokia phones are getting Maps for free, leaving it in the state it is on the N900 would be a slap in the face for N900 users. It needs a lot of improvement.

The sad part is that neither of these problems are under the control of the Maemo / Meego devices group. Like it or not, there is a lot of hype around this update. If Nokia can't get a reasonable version of Maps working, and have a working store with paid apps starting to filter in (ported or new), I think that a lot of potential sales will turn elsewhere.

So, I think we won't see an update until these two items are fixed, and that may be quite some time yet.
...And if they are waiting this long they might just wait for Flash 10 now also.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Israel
maybe it's Maemo 6 we should wait for and not PR1.2...?

Tags
poo poo 1.2, pr 1.2, why am i here?