Notices

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Default media player uses a stored jpg for artwork
Can Instinctiv use the same file for a faster image load?

The Following User Says Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
I still carry a Sansa mp3 player running RockBox with me for one very specific feature, the ability to shift the pitch and tempo of a track independently. I realize I'm very likely in the minority, but I truly do use that functionality on a daily basis. If I could find a player for the n900 with that feature I would finally be able to consolidate and carry one fewer device. I'll add that (low priority) request to the bottom of the wish list stack.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Worcester
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
Instinctiv pulls data from the server for 2 things at the moment (though more features will be server dependent in the future).

1) Instinctiv shuffle. Using an encrypted connection Instinctiv anonymously uploads the names (and other metadata) of the songs you have on your device. The server then returns you a "mood map" which lets Instinctiv shuffle know which songs are related to which other songs, how and by how much. We also monitor which songs you play and skip and use that to personalize the shuffle. For every 1000 songs budget 50k of data up and 4k of data down. For every 10 songs listened to, budget 1k up.

2) Artwork fetching. This one's the one that'll kill you. We download missing cover art and each cover can be up to a couple hundred k per song...
Wait, what?........are you saying we can get missing art without having to use our PC's?

This would be very nice.

Originally Posted by zvogt View Post
I still carry a Sansa mp3 player running RockBox with me for one very specific feature, the ability to shift the pitch and tempo of a track independently. I realize I'm very likely in the minority, but I truly do use that functionality on a daily basis. If I could find a player for the n900 with that feature I would finally be able to consolidate and carry one fewer device. I'll add that (low priority) request to the bottom of the wish list stack.
We're always surprised at the cool (and sometimes crazy) stuff people do with music. If you don't mind my asking, why do you shift the pitch and tempo? Is it a jogging thing, a karaoke thing? Are you onto something totally awesome the rest of us don't know about?

PS: Also, feel free to email directly (peter a† instinctiv dot com)

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Is it integrated with last.fm maemo plugin and headphone daemon(the one to pause music if headphones are pulled out) already?

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
We're always surprised at the cool (and sometimes crazy) stuff people do with music. If you don't mind my asking, why do you shift the pitch and tempo? Is it a jogging thing, a karaoke thing? Are you onto something totally awesome the rest of us don't know about?

PS: Also, feel free to email directly (peter a† instinctiv dot com)
I think the most common use-case for increasing the tempo is to get through spoken-word recordings faster. Running at 150% speed would allow a user to listen to a one hour lecture in 45 minutes, for example. And the reason I want the tempo and pitch to be independent is because, if they weren't, then the voices would all sound like chipmunks at that speed. I like the ability to listen with the tempo at 150% but still keep the pitch at 100%, so the voices still sound normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post:
Wow, this looks very promising.
Just finished installing it and so far it's miles better than standard media player, its clean interface is awesome as is the support for artwork. Thanks.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Denmark
Great app, I just have the same problem as with the default player (though I fixed it by changing the config file): It gathers all my media files, and half of them is SCUMM-games sound files.

Wishlist item from me: choosing folders for library, or just an "exclude these folders" option.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to broeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
Very nice application! So much better than the default media player for music.

Haven't had a singel issue so far with my small music collection of 7200 files on my N900.

Looking forward to more development and improvements.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Hello to all,

I downloaded the app yesterday and have to say very nice layout and very nice UI.
I only have some issues with some Albums which work fine on the Music Player but not in this, I do not really have a idea why this happen. In the Album view it even shows me the amount of tracks but when I enter into the Album only white screen.

Ok I do have 5000 songs on the device in eaac+ Format so could be that this is a issue

Just remarked one little thing which I would love to see added, thats the EDR Profile Support, as I do not have any possibility to control the Player with my BT Headset. That is nerving me and the reason I will not use the player at the moment, due the phone is mainly somewhere in my bag and I use my Headset to control my Music.

As mentioned several times also a support for Playlist would be nice

Great Application and I would love to see it improved.

BR

Thomas