Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
In terms of web browsing, there isn't much of a difference on both handsets. The N900 still has some advantages in terms of the full desktop web experience. Flash compatibility and page rendering are two of them. But the Eclair browser isn't too far behind. It is certainly fast. So both are very comparable. In certain cases, I've found Eclair to be faster than the N900, probably due to a higher speed processor. Coming from the N900, I was skeptical of Android's browsing experiencing but it hasn't disappointed me yet.

As for the Email experience goes, the Gmail integration on the Vibrant is great. That's an Android thing I believe. Notifications are handled really nicely. Emails open up instantaneously and attachments are handled well. I'm using the Samsung mail client for a Hotmail mailbox and it does the job. In some cases, the Gmail app functioned better than the N900, because I found modest to be clunky when it came to handling huge files. I emailed about 5 pictures close to 6MBs today and it happened pretty painlessly from the Gmail client.

Notifications are a nice experience so far. Not as intuitive as the N900 but pretty good nonetheless. I used eBuddy yesterday for my IM needs and it was great, sans the lack of a physical qwerty keyboard of course. I'd say, go for the Vibrant because it's newer, has a longer shelf life left and it's always good to try out a platform you havn't used. You can always sell it back and buy an N900, and actually save some money in the process.
I may have misread your post, but I have the N900 and Incredible with 2.2. Incredible blows the N900 away with Flash performance and compatibility, but the N900 has two advantages: keyboard and stylus. N900 would be sweet with Flash 10.1.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I may have misread your post, but I have the N900 and Incredible with 2.2. Incredible blows the N900 away with Flash performance and compatibility, but the N900 has two advantages: keyboard and stylus. N900 would be sweet with Flash 10.1.
The Galaxy S series doesn't have Froyo yet, so we do not have Flash although Skyfire does a pretty decent job when it comes to flash video though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by discomullah View Post
the presence of hardware keys on a touchsreen phone. The presence of a "back" button where it should have all been controlled within the confines of a screen. Symbian^3, Maemo and iOS are great examples of this.
Personally, I like having the hardware keys like the back button. To that end, doesn't the N900 have hardware zoom and maximize keys? By your argument, isn't that handled well in Android where the N900 fails? Just seems more of a matter of personal preference (as you rightfully pointed out at the end) and a misguided rant than a genuine critique or comparison of the two on that element.

Originally Posted by discomullah View Post
In terms of web browsing, there isn't much of a difference on both handsets. The N900 still has some advantages in terms of the full desktop web experience. Flash compatibility and page rendering are two of them.
They BOTH have a full desktop web experience. If you keep getting websites that are formatting their sites for a phone, it's because they coded a specific experience for your user agent's string--which you can easily change. The only reason why you think the N900 is a desktop experience is because websites have NO idea what an N900 is and so they fall back on whatever their default happens to be for unknown client types (usually a desktop layout). If you go to your desktop and change your user agent string to iPhone or Android, you'll also get mobile website layouts from lots of websites.

I would argue that the advantage here is in the Android side. Not because you get BOTH a mobile-friendly layout, if you want it, and a desktop layout, if you prefer that--because, really, both the Android and the N900 can do this (you can also change the user agent on the N900 and get mobile layout websites too), but because it has Flash 10.1 (unlike the N900 and some other mobiles with an orphaned older Flash or a Flash Lite).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
I'm getting my galaxy s on sunday and was browsing the net to get to know it before I get it and I stumbled upon this live wallpaper. LOL.

Watch at : 1:48...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPBW...eature=related

Edit : PS. Don't shoot the messenger!!!
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
The thing I miss with the SGS is a community such as TMO...ofcourse there is Xda but not as great as TMO....SGS is one of many devices they support......keep coming back to tmo even after migrating away from the N900

any suggestions danramos

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
The thing I miss with the SGS is a community such as TMO...ofcourse there is Xda but not as great as TMO....SGS is one of many devices they support......keep coming back to tmo even after migrating away from the N900

any suggestions danramos
From some reading I have done on XDA, you are right.
TMO is a lot more fun, people are responsive and it feels like home here, I suggest you find a local android forum where you live, things will surely get more private there.

I found one at www.iandroid.co.il - People there speak my language and understand my jokes :P
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I'm getting my galaxy s on sunday and was browsing the net to get to know it before I get it and I stumbled upon this live wallpaper. LOL.

Watch at : 1:48...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPBW...eature=related

Edit : PS. Don't shoot the messenger!!!
That live wallpaper is brilliant! I do love boobies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHj-cMv00s

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post

any suggestions danramos
Why are you singling me out?

...oh hell, we all know why. :P

http://androidforums.com/
http://forum.androidcentral.com/
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/

Also check out their blogs at
http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://www.droidforums.net/

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
No ulterior motive dan....just asked

The Following User Says Thank You to rcarlos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Personally, I like having the hardware keys like the back button. To that end, doesn't the N900 have hardware zoom and maximize keys? By your argument, isn't that handled well in Android where the N900 fails? Just seems more of a matter of personal preference (as you rightfully pointed out at the end) and a misguided rant than a genuine critique or comparison of the two on that element.

They BOTH have a full desktop web experience. If you keep getting websites that are formatting their sites for a phone, it's because they coded a specific experience for your user agent's string--which you can easily change. The only reason why you think the N900 is a desktop experience is because websites have NO idea what an N900 is and so they fall back on whatever their default happens to be for unknown client types (usually a desktop layout). If you go to your desktop and change your user agent string to iPhone or Android, you'll also get mobile website layouts from lots of websites.

I would argue that the advantage here is in the Android side. Not because you get BOTH a mobile-friendly layout, if you want it, and a desktop layout, if you prefer that--because, really, both the Android and the N900 can do this (you can also change the user agent on the N900 and get mobile layout websites too), but because it has Flash 10.1 (unlike the N900 and some other mobiles with an orphaned older Flash or a Flash Lite).
How is it a "misguided rant"? I have clearly stated that it is my opinion. The hardware buttons on the N900 seem to be implemented due to the lack of multitouch. Also, the only application that actually made use of the rocker keys and was dependent on them was the gallery, which I agree was a bad idea. The web browser did just fine with the double tap feature. The volume rocker were a bonus. Therefore to say that the user experience of the N900 depended on the volume rockers or any hardware buttons is redundant and clearly, Android is more depended on hardware/soft keys outside the touchscreen real estate, which again, is pretty pointless and isn't intuitive at all.

Btw, I do understand the difference between the mobile and desktop pages and how the user agent effects what you see. I made that comparison keeping all of that in mind. The Vibrant still hasn't received the 2.2 update, so no. They are really on par. I tried to download an mp3 file today from a website, that worked on the N900 but didn't work on the Eclair brower. The N900 browser still has some advantages over Eclair.

Tags
n900-fail-wail