Posts: 47 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ London, UK
oh another thing that is a surprising difference between the two:
On the N9 the screen gives some sort of a tint, when displaying white pages especially.. It turns pink-ish also as you turn the viewing angle. Lumia has nothing like that. It has a bit of a tint im guessning but the colours stay the same when changing the viewing angles slightly. On both screens the white looks horrible and thats why meego doesnt use white much i guess.. But when comparing browser pages the lumia's white is defenitely superior. Its a very notable difference when comparing the two.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
if i remember correctly that tint is intentional for better view when viewed under sunlight, n9 is much better than all non-nokia phones when used in that condition

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by slansr View Post
oh another thing that is a surprising difference between the two:
On the N9 the screen gives some sort of a tint, when displaying white pages especially.. It turns pink-ish also as you turn the viewing angle. Lumia has nothing like that.
My Lumia 800 has that same tint. It's particulalrly noticable when using the email client. The screen also suffers from oversaturated colours, but that seems to be a problem with most AMOLED screens.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
if i remember correctly that tint is intentional for better view when viewed under sunlight, n9 is much better than all non-nokia phones when used in that condition
thats right. The lumia is also amazing under sunlight and the whites look better..

other things that i wanted to include:
Lumia has a very nice focusing in the camera it uses a flash when focusing whch is a huge plus when taking pictures at night. Lumia's flash is aslo very and i mean very bright for a non xenon. N9 is supposed tohave the same but i dont think its as bright, and no focusing with the flashlight on the N9.
Photo quality wise they are both very different niether are too bad but i prefer the lumia, n9's white balance is all over the place, sometimes the snow is green-ish other times its blue-ish. I understand that if i knew more than just the basics of photography i'd be able to pull a good shot out of both. Also both are getting camera updates in future. (The lumia deffinitely as theres an official statement, the n9 says camera interface improvement and im not sure whether they will also improve the quality but most probably)
What the Lumia is better than the n9 at is the video. N9's video recording ability is two years behind. even though they are both hd recorders the difference is actually HUGE. Lumias video looks exaclty the same on my 15" hi res as the one from iphone 4s(which is awesome) the n9 is really bad at video recording and this is definitely a software issue so lets hope for improvements.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
My Lumia 800 has that same tint. It's particulalrly noticable when using the email client. The screen also suffers from oversaturated colours, but that seems to be a problem with most AMOLED screens.
yeah they all do.. n9 is just worse.
i used to think lumia's white was bad after the iphone but when i got the n9 i discovered a new low. It probably pays up in sunlight.. but i can only go by memory right now and cant compare both phones atm because there isnt much sun i remember both being pretty good though.

http://t.co/aEAbzgG4

ive no idea how to add an image here in full resolution so i tried my best using twitter, i also broke my sd card so had to take this using my iphone, the difference in real life is actually bigger than on this image, hope you can all see it properly. Its in order from left to right: N9, Lumia 800, Samsung galaxy s2 (just put it there dont judge it too much because its running an unreleased ics and also has three different colour modes which look very different and makes bright images in the browser dimmer and "less white" to save battery, i tried to switch all those features off but maybe i missed some.. in my opinion the lumia looks the best..)
all on max brightness and yes ive switched off the autobrightness setting on the n9.

Last edited by slansr; 2012-02-12 at 14:58. Reason: alright that didnt work so i'll just give a link to the image on twitter

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
...What the Lumia is better than the n9 at is the video. N9's video recording ability is two years behind. even though they are both hd recorders the difference is actually HUGE. Lumias video looks exaclty the same on my 15" hi res as the one from iphone 4s(which is awesome) the n9 is really bad at video recording and this is definitely a software issue so lets hope for improvements.
I tend to disagree. I'm not sure how good Lumia's video capabilities r, but the N9 simply marvels in its 720p. Here r two [now famous] 'concert vids' shot by Jari in Turku-Finlad... pls try & poke a fault @ its low-light optics & audio:

Jean Michel Jarre : N9 capture with superb stereo audio!
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wBpq0BdDw
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATHdeq2sG0

Qorax

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
I tend to disagree. I'm not sure how good Lumia's video capabilities r, but the N9 simply marvels in its 720p. Here r two [now famous] 'concert vids' shot by Jari in Turku-Finlad... pls try & poke a fault @ its low-light optics & audio:

Jean Michel Jarre : N9 capture with superb stereo audio!
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wBpq0BdDw
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATHdeq2sG0

Qorax
you're right the audio is amazing! i havent tested that on the lumia because i mainly concentrate on the image quality.. I'll try to upload one of my n9 videos during the day so that you see what im talking about.. maybe where there's more detail the software cant handle and makes it look quite bad, however at night in the concert where there isnt any detail at all pretty much it looks ok

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slansr For This Useful Post:
i'll upload to youtube after the rugby match thats on now..

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
...maybe where there's more detail the software cant handle and makes it look quite bad, however at night in the concert where there isnt any detail at all pretty much it looks ok
Sir, any S/V enthusiast would know that capturing 'details' @ low-light is far tedious/problematic for a sensor than in daylight... even if its a CCD or CMOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post: