Active Topics

What if you fail to reach the funding target?

We appreciate every bit of support we receive during the 30 days, and every backer will be welcomed into the Ubuntu community. If we don’t reach our target then we will focus only on commercially available handsets and there will not be an Ubuntu Edge.

so maybe it's not a good idea to get your hopes up about the edge hardware. something's not quite right overall here. as someone pointed out above, the specs and the price don't match up. this could indeed be a marketing exercise. i hope it isn't , if it ever gets launched with X11 support and those hardware specs, then i'd be very interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Nothing is note fully open like every thng else out there. You need to be more specific. But assume the OS closed, but device open. I suggest you move over to endigo and ask your questions...
are you saying you don't know? why are you so ra-ra (enthusiastic) about this device then?

looks like the funding is mathematically trending towards a limt of $10million. so no edge for you!

Knew this would be getting some discussion here Hasn't been a phone thats gotten me excited since the n900 but this comes pretty damn close (if only it had the slide out keyboard!!) so put my money down. Marketing ploy or not the 600 dollar price for those specs hits more than enough of the right notes for me on the off chance it hits the target, and if not Ill get a refund and maybe someone out there takes notice that there is a market for a proper 'techy' phone and it doesnt all have to be the same old mass produced one size fits all iphone/android devices.

Just hope the specs ain't old news come may 2014.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Nothing is note fully open like every thng else out there. You need to be more specific. But assume the OS closed, but device open. I suggest you move over to endigo and ask your questions...
Dave999 are you just assuming?

I have the Ubuntu Touch mobile OS running right now on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Just like Desktop ubuntu source is fully available.

Prove me wrong if there is even a *single* OS element or application that is closed source. Mir is licensed under a combination of GPLv3, LGPL, MIT & X license, they're using ofono for telephony, source for all their Ubuntu patches are available.

The only "closed source" components are bionic drivers that device vendor may not release source for, and what ever closed-source bits Google keeps on the dual-boot android half (not srue on the state there, I've only used Android 4.2.2 for about 3 minutes before I wiped the Galaxy Nexus).

*edit: I cant find Ubuntu for Android on the google marketplace, or source on launchpad.net - so they could potentially keep that closed source at release? I have no intention of ever booting or setting up android though, seriously it's gross/syncing everything to a google email, every other thing asking for your private info, etc.)

Last edited by bjv; 2013-07-24 at 13:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to bjv For This Useful Post:
Interesting specs and ideology.
But putting sapphire displays and fancy batteries are nothing but extra stresses.
They should've opted for something mediocre, despite the risk of "not entertaining the fans".
A small step can be more rewarding than a leap. Assurance over risky swan dives.

Yet I have one qualm... $32 Million !?!?!?
This is doomed to fail.

A $5 Million would've been a much better "success" barrier.
It shows the company is committed one way or another.

I wonder why Jolla didn't do a similar thing through KickStarter or IndieGoGo.

Anyways, let's keep an eye on previous efforts such as the:
PebbleWatch, Carmageddon, OUYA, GAMESTICK, and the film "Wish I was Here".

I'm flattered

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Canonical posted an announcement 4 hours ago
More opportunities to get your Ubuntu Edge

Hi everyone

The last few days have been absolutely incredible -- over $3.5 million in the first 40 hours. We’ve broken records, we’ve attracted the attention of the world, and we’re marching closer and closer to bringing the Ubuntu Edge to life. $32 million is a huge number, and we’ve never danced around this fact. To get there, we’re going to need your help to bring family, friends, fans, and followers to the campaign.

This crowdfunding process has already provided us with a lot of great feedback, especially about our perks -- and we’ve been listening to it all. You told us you want more opportunities to get the Ubuntu Edge at a lower contribution level, so we went back to our spreadsheets and came up with a solution. Today we’re changing our perk levels. We’ll offer a limited number of phones at each level, and as each tier runs out the next ones will be made available, so act quickly to get the best deal!

You’ll only see the first few levels on the campaign page today, but continuing our habit of openness and transparency we want to share the whole plan with you.

Hundreds of you have already contributed $830 for an Ubuntu Edge, but don’t worry. We’ll refund the difference at the end of the campaign so you won’t lose out. We’ll contact you all directly with more information.

We need to keep the campaign momentum going. Please help by sharing the news and, of course, keep pledging!

The Ubuntu Edge team

Edit: 625 is sold out, next level 675

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-24 at 14:48.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
For everyone intrested and can afford to waste some money on this gamble can follow the progress here, more in detail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5djA5NlE#gid=0

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Cool, hope they succeed in reaching the goal.

I still have my doubts if they can make this a good product in the established amount of time, but decided to go for it anyway.
I've been using Ubuntu (based) operating systems for 7 years now, so I knew I wanted to try Ubuntu on a phone when available.
I could have waited until actual Ubuntu phone devices are available, but the idea of an "exclusive" Ubuntu Edge prototype phone is also interesting.
Living on the EDGE!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
[IMG]Secondly, Ubuntu is a popular distribution and has recognition with the general gaming and developer communities.
Not anymore since their Mir mess. Valve isn't an indicator of what's popular in Linux gaming anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: