Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
No, the update has not been released for UK variants. Someone earlier in the thread reported speaking to Nokia support and being told that it would be rolled in with the PR1.2 update instead.

The UK is always last at getting updates from Nokia.

I have flashed mine and i am fairly new to all this but from what i gather there is no point in waiting for uk firware when the the global one is just as good. i have also been advised that once the global firmware is applied all nokia updates will follow soon after. Its really easy to flash although if you use windows 7 64bit you will need to use Virtual windows XP

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Do you mean 'tones' like:
yes. I wonder if it was only me who had all the troubles in this thread.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by schweppes79 View Post
The UK is always last at getting updates from Nokia.

I have flashed mine and i am fairly new to all this but from what i gather there is no point in waiting for uk firware when the the global one is just as good. i have also been advised that once the global firmware is applied all nokia updates will follow soon after. Its really easy to flash although if you use windows 7 64bit you will need to use Virtual windows XP
Any clue what the difference is between the UK and Global firmware versions? I can't think of any good reason why there is a UK specific version and I am considering flashing the Global firmware too as the usual reason for a UK firmware is purely to omit something rather than give us something extra.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-02-24 at 15:45.

not to sure but its nothing to wrry about to be honest alex. you can always falsh back to uk version as there all there in the download links . follow instructions from nokia site link

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Po...ata/m-p/591877

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Any clue what the difference is between the UK and Global firmware versions? I can't think of any good reason why there is a UK specific version and I am considering flashing the Global firmware too as the usual reason for a UK firmware is purely to omit something rather than give us something extra.
You should be able to get some idea by looking at what packages are region-specific:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep 203
That's all the (generic) UK region-specific packages. You can then use "dpkg -L" to list the files within these packages.

Originally Posted by wolfpac72 View Post
Dear all,

just have a small Issue, more cosmetic than not working.
After the last Firmware Update I have some unknowns in the point about product in my device.
Anyone a idea?
What I saw was the following:
- I updateted with the Flasher (Firmware and eMMC)
- restored my backup

Everything works like charm after some help with members from here.

But now I see in about the product the first 3 rows marked as <unknow>
And Im sure before the Backup it was written 3.x at least as the Version.

Anybody a clue what I messed up?

BR

Wolfpac
do you have the fmtx-faker app installed? if so, this may worth checking out?.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Banstead UK
No update here for me. Got the first update immediately on the day of realse. Its over a week now and my N900 still says on firmware update. Phone is a uk original phone I feel Noka is going back to their S60 days this is not open source behaviour. There is a need for Nokia to communicate to user about what is happening with this update.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by archaz View Post
No update here for me. Got the first update immediately on the day of realse. Its over a week now and my N900 still says on firmware update. Phone is a uk original phone I feel Noka is going back to their S60 days this is not open source behaviour. There is a need for Nokia to communicate to user about what is happening with this update.
Not quite that bad, at least with the N900 you CAN upgrade to different firmware whereas S60 devices are often network locked so you have to do lots of hackery to reflash.

Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and reflash mine with 3.2010.02-8 Global firmware. It was amazingly easy (just used an Ubuntu 8.10 live CD with the flash image on a USB stick, as both my Windows and Linux installs are 64bit) and now I have more root space free than before without moving any stuff into /home. (I suspect that was helping to slow it down using the slow eMMC)

I'm so glad I did it, my device had really slowed down and its nice and fast again now. I haven't noticed any difference so far but its only been a couple of hours. I did notice I still need extras-devel enabled in order to get Facebook chat and flac tags support.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone,

Any guide on how to update? I get the update on my update list on the n900. Can I update straight from the device?
Will it lose all my contacts/apps and etc' ? I have made a backup, but would I be able to restore later?
Would be glad for a guide on this new version.

Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
firmware, my n900 is allergic, no soup for you!, panicky in the uk, pr1.1.1, updates r kewl, whining about whiners, yay - an update