Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
What kind of a conclusion is that, "a tablet which needs a more suitable home"?
Indeed. That "review" is hardly a review at all.

"On paper, the clean, bloatware free slate looks well equipped but in reality, that isn’t how things work out."

Come on, don't let us hanging. How does it work out?

"Jolla does not state a claimed battery life but if you equate that to similarly sized tablet, that should give you enough for a day’s play."

Another one left hanging. What is the battery life? I thought you were writing a review, not a bunch of assumptions!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Ah, Amazon must be doomed! They never include chargers with their Kindles...
But they do with their tablets. 5W ones. ;-)

When Jolla does an e-reader you might have a point.

It needs to be at my home quicker

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
"with unique software that needs a more suitable home."

I read it as "the OS needs a more suitable home" and I concur.

EDIT: or rather many more suitable homes than the only 2 devices in officially supported

Last edited by ste-phan; 2015-10-12 at 12:36.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I thought you were writing a review, not a bunch of assumptions!
Is there any "reviewer" of tablets out there that would not rather be reviewing pet food or vacuum cleaners for a change?

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Could someone from the UK and someone from Germany give me a hint how much tax they had to pay for the tablet - if the invigorating ever arrives I would choose the cheapest option ;-) Thx
In the UK I paid $47.60 for the 32Gb tablet and a lastu case, its just 20% of whatever you paid - the current VAT rate

Still hasn't shipped yet though..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Have to admit that my understanding of the wave concept is incomplete. First done?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Question remains, what did you try, what do YOU need exactly?
And to be honest, I believe that this is the center of what Jolla needs to address and has yet to do just that. Address what you can and cannot do with this tablet. It's a piece of mobile computing that addresses no particular crowd yet fully.

The way I use a tablet will invariably be wholly different that most of you guys on this forum. And that's okay. It doesn't make my uses more important than yours, vice versa. In fact, without any hooks into the entertainment industry in one way or another - there's no Jolla Movies & Music, no Jolla Streaming Movies or Jolla Books - folks will dismiss the tablet quickly. It's not a media consumption device like an iOS or Android device.

And that's a good thing...

But it still doesn't explicitly answer what you can/cannot do with this device and sadly if left to our own devices, anybody with any experience with a tablet will invariably want certain things - the ability to read books, listen to music, grab the latest movie from one single point and/or company (read: Apple, Google, Netflix, Amazon).

What do tablet users that are willing to accept "unique philosophy than reaching the widest possible audience" expect from their Jolla and does Jolla at this point deliver or not?
It's hard to explain "freedom" to folks used to being herded into separate camps of thinking - consume media, produce art, social media participation, peruse the web and treat their tablets closer to their phones as gateways to a system that feeds them as opposed to the opposite, where you decide what you want to consume, how it's consumed and above all, how you do things.

Simply stated, Jolla could pick up on how people use their computers and that's how they'll use the tablet. The shift away from using tablets like a bigger version of their phone as opposed to using their tablets as a smaller version of their computer is perhaps key here.

Personally I find an OS not coming from the USA quite the refreshing break from the status quo.
Agree fully... and I say that as an American.

the one demanding a refreshing break is still assuming that "apps and more apps" will mask the matter that people in general have no ready scenario for putting a tablet to good use (including the reviewer, so it seems)
This... speaks to what I'm addressing. I agree with this at a much deeper level than a simple "Thanks" can convey.

Maybe it would help admitting a tablet to many is just a limited device which can't even make a call but makes an excellent sofa toy that should behave energy friendly and providing some quick access to information for which the convenience of a full keyboard laptop is not needed?
Again, this is tablet as extension of phone vs. tablet as extension of computer. Jolla needs to address what they view the use cases should be as opposed to letting the uninformed think of a way through this and fail.

There are several things I can think off that would be interested to be included in a review and Jolla would not necessarily get a beating.

-consuming web content (ok we got this - Engadget web site did not load pictures - maybe it is time to simplify this website a little bit)
-office connectivity and remote access including cloud and web based office productivity
-encyclopedia / dictionary
-media, domotica, drone remote control
-laptop replacement document editing (keyb, mouse connectivity, USB OTG)
-sound editing / playback
-video conferencing
-reading digital books / graphic novels
-photo editing
Photo editing? Video conferencing? I think the ease of those in other devices is way different than Jolla. On Android and iOS, you're fed by one point of entry - their stores. You can load up material via other means, but the majority of folks rely on their desktop to feed their tablets.

Jolla doesn't do that; not as far as I can tell. There's no iTunes desktop client or Play Store with web install to device.

The problem is not lack of apps, but the slow pace at which Jolla is working on finishing and integrating the top page of the most voted items on together.jolla.com.
Here we disagree. There's no native Facebook client (that I know of), the Twitter clients are half-baked (don't use the newest version of Twitter quote/retweet for instance), there's no office suite (online or offline that I know of that doesn't require a ton of installs that basically bring a true desktop office that's not optimized for touch), there's no drawing tools like any of the Adobe suite or what comes from Evernote that are native either.

There's an app gap that's as wide as Windows Phone - if you do not know about openrepos or have yet to invest time in the alternatives that do exist. But that means that you're now requiring the user to do research, invest time and actually do more than just consume media.

Jolla needs to address that, imho. Loved your post ste-phan. I think it adds to the other side of the fence in a very logical, thoroughly thought out way that should be heard more often than statements that fall very short like the aforementioned review.

After reading Antti's blog post, what I think happened is that for some reason the factory could not accommodate the whole batch of tablets, therefore Jolla might have requested them to build whatever they can: the 250ish tablets... Just my two cents obviously...
Btw congrats to people who got theirs and keep the feedback and pics flowing, that will help us cope for the wait of our tablet

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
Just sent a PM to mosen with my contribution details, 25.11.2014, and 17.02.2015, no invite yet, etc... for statistics.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund