Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
I'm waiting for the first review to mention OpenRepos. I'm not expecting it to say that they're the cure-all or even for everyone, but it would be good to know that a reviewer has done enough homework to at least mention that it's an option for some of the application gaps.
What homework? Do you expect from him to read a book and finish the online course on how and where to find an applications? Or maybe to learn how to recompile existing apps for phone that available on github?
Simple user just uses the tablet and what it provides. if you need to know how to find a suitable app it means there are only few apps and they are not exactly "click and install" apps =) Jolla targeted for common users and review for common users(fans and geeks do other kind of research before, don't they?).

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Jolla targeted for common users and review for common users(fans and geeks do other kind of research before, don't they?).
Well apparently:
"Jolla is more interested in following its unique philosophy than reaching the widest possible audience"

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Belgium
Wooh tablet arrived today! :-)
Will do unboxing videos tomorrow, don't have any time today to tinker around with it today sadly :-( :P

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I wonder if anyone knows what is this philosophy
At the beginning i was expecting more of hack-able device and collaboration with community, but after a while I understood it's more of "sell as much as you can as fast as you can" and thus i think it's more for enduser than geeks(see maemo or meego for reference), so again if you need to explain howto do something more in one sentence, it's not that user friendly :P

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And to be honest, I believe that this is ...
You can load up material via other means, but the majority of folks rely on their desktop to feed their tablets.
Jolla doesn't do that; not as far as I can tell. There's no iTunes desktop client or Play Store with web install to device.
What about sftp and gpodder?

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
if you need to explain howto do something more in one sentence, it's not that user friendly :P
It depends on how long the sentence is.

(And sorry for gross off-topic. :P)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
What about sftp and gpodder?
Good point. I've no point of reference personally; but I'm willing to bet that the reviewer or the layman would have to have those pointed out to them before they become obvious choices.

For instance... if you have an iPad, you automatically will have iTunes. Consumers are conditioned to think that way. I will not argue that's the better way to go about things (personally, I do not think that it is) but it is what it is.

But you're an informed user. Wouldn't it nice if the company that makes the product of your choice inform the other users? That's what Google and Apple have done. Jolla needs to do the same thing. Most people will never find this website in their searches for *"how to get some gosh darn music on this gosh darn Jolla tablet" and find out about gpodder. I don't even trust most management level folks in my organization to know what SFTP means.

*Okay, NOW they might

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It depends on how long the sentence is.

(And sorry for gross off-topic. :P)

Not sure if hrabal was trolling or art, zogg on the other hand

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Finally got my tablet today (drove to the airport and got it from DHL cause there was some mix up with customs).

For all phone users: put your backups on the microSD Card, start the tablet and install first all apps like mail, calender etc before you import your accounts. Maybe it was just cause i didn t do it that all my mail settings are gone or it is an bug.

Anyway tablet (after updating) runs 1.1.9.28 slick and fast.
Colours look very good, tablet feels quite fancy. Overall quality: cant complain. All tasks go rather fast and no lags of anyking. Updates went smoth and incredible fast (compared to phone).

What i cant and never will understand is the app situation.I remeber Dec 13 when i got the phone running beta and nowhere apps to be found. I cant believe that it is nearly the same situation with the tablet. Surely the Jolla App Store has the "basic" ones but everything from openrepos incl. warehouse doesnt work. No tweetian, wifi analyser, sailgrande, cooktimer, flowplayer etc.

Did they really sent out devices to developers? If so why not to people like veskuh to adapt tweetian? Cause it is not in Jolla Store? They consider openrepos as competition?
This really pisses me of...example: Out of the box it is impossible to watch a movie / tv series off the mSD card. What a joke.

P.S.: But i still like the tablet itself

OpenRepos first needs x86 executable/build, then probably framework for non-arm binaries (or maybe current target can be repurposed)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund