Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by viking65 View Post
A few observations and ideas ...

Now running software version 0.2.4, keyboard usable since installing 0.2.3 - Blue keys didn't do anything on older versions (except PgUp/PgDn).

The Ins key does nothing, e.g. in an editor (joe in FingerTerm).
Screenshot on Blue-Ins works, so physical key is fine - must be the key mapping.
Would be nice to get Insert/Overtype working ...

There are two colums of keys: 3,w,s,x,Shift(Left) and 0,o,l,!,@ which have very little backlight.
From tests in low-light conditions, this doesn't seem to be a big problem, though.

In FingerTerm, turn VKB Off, so it doesn't "popup" all the time when using the TOHKBD2 .
Now, the term app is just as useful as on the n900 - my main reason for choosing Jolla when the n900 died .

A CapsLock-like stickiness of Ctrl and Blue could be useful, maybe exclusive (one cancels the other) ?
Not sure how that could be mapped (and indicated), though, without losing the current (and very useful) sticky feature.
Any ideas, NY1 ?

In the Settings app, a keyboard tester could be nice.
Show a map of the keyboard, light up the keys as they are pressed (and turn off on release, of course).
Maybe show the keycodes (*) as well, for keyboard remapping, if useful ?
(*): Or whatever kmap2qmap needs, haven't checked ...

My Space key needs a little extra pressure , but all other keys are working fine
Hoping wear-in will improve that, though - already a bit better now, or I've gotten more pushy .

KS #958, keyboard arrived on 11/6 - a few frustrating days before the software Q&A release .

Alumide/Alumide/CarbonBlack - Alumide surfaces felt a bit rough at first, but are becoming better after a bit of wear.

but all good points, thanks for your input!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Not sure if this would help anyone, but I send this anyway.

I have two Jollas.

One that I have used since I got it as "the first one".
I have a lot of applications and I also had the old battery drain fix applied (nfc disabled). I installed the TOHKBD software from kimmoli's link. Had a lot of problems, reported also here. After some settings applied (repetition delay and speed) I got it working. Only few keys backlight was not working. Then came OS update. Almost the same problems came back, multiple and strange characters appear when pressing a key. No settings change helps. Phone did not recognize TOHKBD. At this point I removed that battery drain fix (enabled nfc). Needed some reboots and time, then TOHKBD was recognized and I could install software from Jolla shop. But the problems are still the same.

The other Jolla came back from my niece, she had dropped it and the display (not the screen) was broken. I finally got it fixed couple of weeks ago. I reinstalled (factory reset) few softwares, even Android. That Jolla recognized TOHKBD without any problem. With the same settings as the other Jolla, it works. Only the same backlight problem exists, and few keys need harder pressing, but no extra characters.

So, it can be your phone (and maybe the installed softwares) and not the TOHKBD that causes the problems.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
It arrived! My Orange-on-Black-with-Kelo-backing TOHKBDv2! It is glorious, magnificent and perfect! Every single key works as it should! Thanks to you all: my phone is finally complete! :-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
What do we call the blue keys ?
TOH-key? Unlike-key?

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Jolla-key?

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
What do we call the blue keys ?

Sym has been suggested, but is taken by Alt-Sym, so are they:
Blue-, AltGr-, Fn-, Mod-, Meta-, Super-, Hyper-, ... keys ?

The functionality is mostly as AltGr keys.

What is the intended purpose of the Alt-Sym thingy - currently, it doesn't do anything ?
Blue keys are "Sym" (for now), the Alt-Sym shall be ignored for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Heik View Post
Not sure if this would help anyone, but I send this anyway

So, it can be your phone (and maybe the installed softwares) and not the TOHKBD that causes the problems.
All input is welcome.
Check with ps ax | grep -i toh that there is tohd and harbour-tohkbd2 and harbour-tohkbd2-user running.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
The Ins key does nothing...
Propably some mobile apps do not support it, i'll check it is mapped to correct insert.

There are two colums of keys: 3,w,s,x,Shift(Left) and 0,o,l,!,@ which have very little backlight.
There is limited number of backlight leds to keep current drain in reasonable level, and i believe placing is close to optimal now...

A CapsLock-like stickiness of Ctrl and Blue could be useful, maybe exclusive (one cancels the other) ?
There is some ideas to improve that. we'll see in future updates.

In the Settings app, a keyboard tester could be nice.
Show a map of the keyboard, light up the keys as they are pressed
There will something like this when the keyboard mapping editor comes out

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I just love this thing!
(typing on my shiny new TOHKBD...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I just love this thing!
(typing on my shiny new TOHKBD...)
Envey envey envey, still waiting waiting waiting
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd