Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Sorry if this post is confusing
No need to apologize IMO. Until highly-visible and engaged members like yourself are comfortable explaining this subject to others, then this venture is prone to stumble.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Of course the risk of confusion, brand dillution and platform fragmentatio can't be overstated. I'm just saying that first things go first: architectures, APIs, platform compliance criteria and brand guidelines.
Exactly. That's why it seemed a bit premature to rush out and call/rebrand Harmattan + Moblin 2.2 as MeeGo instances even *before* architecture, APIs and platform compliance criteria were determined. I understand Nokia was put between a rock and a hard place when asked about Harmattan in a MeeGo context. It's understandable both Intel and Nokia want to protect their investment and avoid the Osborne effect, but OTOH this puts the MeeGo brand itself in an arduous position. I just hope long term architecture and compliance criteria will not be sacrificed in order to save face on PR and upgrade questions. All in all, more discussion will follow after "day one", I just hope *all* the Nokia *AND* Intel teams think this through, together, before committing the big guns to particular tasks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
A good and maybe ironic example of how some of the confusion is mitigated by competitors: Microsoft calling its automotive solution SYNC rather than "Windows for Automobiles".

Similarly, MeeGo in the context of automotive use will be sitting under GENIVI. So what name will be ringing in the ears of automobile purchasers? Surely GENIVI, not MeeGo.

Up to now Maemo resided on internet tablets and now mobile computers, and there were more similarities than differences between the various devices. So not so much risk of consumer confusion. In this case Maemo was the branding of the consumer layer.

But MeeGo will find its way into broader contexts. Saying "this is Maemo 4 on the N810, this is Maemo 5 on the N900" is not the same as "this is a flavor of MeeGo on your cell phone, this is a flavor of MeeGo on your refrigerator". Consumers aren't going to care about embedded versions, and they'll be confused by anyone referring to those embedded operating systems by the exact same name applied to their cell phone (when I told friends and family I had repaired my refrigerator's motherboard, they did not know how to receive that ).

So again, to Attila77's earlier suggestion, there need to be two tiers of branding for MeeGo, with MeeGo as the underlying context and some distinction added by a subbrand:

MeeGo Embedded
MeeGo Mobile
MeeGo Desktop
etc

Specifics on how to apply this and clarify the current MeeGo/Harmatttan/Mobiln2.2 muddiness-- I currently have no idea. And that's a problem, because I have enough experience with this that it *should* come easily.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-18 at 01:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Then I thought you started a thread requesting a rename of one of the forums, which I can't find right now?
That was in this very thread - originally post 1 but now post 14 due to this thread being merged with a similar earlier one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I hate to do this (as it may spread un-need FUD), but I also want to be clear what is going on here.

Previously, there were 2 groups inside Nokia working on Maemo (probably an oversimplification). One doing bugfixes for Fremantle, and one working on Harmattan development, at least that's what I assume.

So my inital assumption was that the Harmattan group would transition into the MeeGo group. Which I suppose, now that I think about it, was misguided (at least as far as the near future).

To me, it seems as though there are/shold be 3 groups? Fremantle bugfix, Harmattan development, MeeGo development? MeeGo development being a blend of Intel/Nokia people? Which leads me to wonder what Nokia thoughts on cost-effective distribution of resources are.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
That was in this very thread - originally post 1 but now post 14 due to this thread being merged with a similar earlier one.
Thank you, confusing to say the least, I was searching for threads started by qgil, hence didn't see this one.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks pelago.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14 still stands for the topic of this thread: Maemo 6 vs Harmattan / MeeGo.

If you have proposals for MeeGo branding the best place to post them is the MeeGo project.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Thanks pelago.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14 still stands for the topic of this thread: Maemo 6 vs Harmattan / MeeGo.

If you have proposals for MeeGo branding the best place to post them is the MeeGo project.
But does that apply to Harmattan, as was mentioned on one of the email lists earlier?

We're talking about an unusual and awkward branding subject here that straddles Maemo/MeeGo.

EDIT: actually, as Attila77 pointed out, it's bigger than just branding due to deb/rpm, etc.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-17 at 17:37.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Personally, the whole thing just sounds like a remix of that Hang Williams jr song...

Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, meego maemo
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

Everything that gets said about it (on both sides of the coin) is just similar jibberish to me.

That was Hank Williams Sr.

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding