Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
I have created a poll to understand better what features do you want to have in Maemo MfE. It is based on the comments found in this thread so far.

Could you spend several seconds of your time and vote?

Maemo 5 MfE features wish list

All other feature requests and bug reports as well as any kind of feedback ( as usually, better negative and constructive :-) ) are welcome to be placed in this thread.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
a problem I noticed , not sure if this is the right forum but it may be linked with Mfe

I am able to sync my contacts with google by way of Mfe ( sometimes ;-) ).

Next I added my google IM for chatting on googletalk.
That added my contacts from google as well.
Now I have twice the number of my google contacts on my phone, duplicates I mean !!!

is there no way to take care this doesnt happen, at the moment I only see merging manually one by one as a solution which is painful when you have about hundreds of contacts.

would anyone please suggest or let me know if Im doing something wrong.

thanks for the help guys/gals.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by tecnophone View Post
Hi Vitaly_repin

And about this BUG? https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3762

What is the solution at the moment?
To wait for the updated firmware, as the comments in that bug clearly state? Could we stop dumping all mail related issues into this discussion here, please?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
Next I added my google IM for chatting on googletalk.
That added my contacts from google as well.
Now I have twice the number of my google contacts on my phone, duplicates I mean !!!
Ha! Works as designed:

1) You have synced your contacts from google. They are in your address book and are shown there
2) You have enabled gtalk account. Your gtalk contacts are now shown in the same address book (IM contacts).

End-result - you see 2 copies of the same contact from the "different" source - gtalk and google sync MfE.

Really sad for you.

Let me ask you a question - are the contacts at gtalk and contacts you have synced from google with the help of MfE exactly the same? Then why simply not to disable contacts sync with MfE at all?

is there no way to take care this doesnt happen, at the moment I only see merging manually one by one as a solution which is painful when you have about hundreds of contacts.
Sounds like an idea for automatic contacts merger...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post

Let me ask you a question - are the contacts at gtalk and contacts you have synced from google with the help of MfE exactly the same? Then why simply not to disable contacts sync with MfE at all?

Sounds like an idea for automatic contacts merger...

Thanks Vitaly, but I cant disable the Mfe sync as I had an android phone earlier and I keep my non-google contacts too in google, people who have just numbers or non-google email ids and no gtalk.

I would like more to diable the GTALK contacts sync as Mfe gets me my gtalk contacts as well.

Hope there is some workaround for this ???

Thanks again,

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
Thanks Vitaly, but I cant disable the Mfe sync as I had an android phone earlier and I keep my non-google contacts too in google, people who have just numbers or non-google email ids and no gtalk.
Got it. So, the pure gtalk contacts are only subset of the google contacts you have.

So, the only way is to merge contacts. But I see the need for automatic contact merger application here. It looks like a solution for this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
First - is the MfE module source code public?
No. I would be more than happy to make it public. And (as a sw. engineer, not as Nokia employee!!!) I think it could be (legally and technically) possible for Exchange 2007 part. Not for Exchange 2003. The difference is that Exchange 2003 ActiveSync protocol specs are not public.

But the problem is that I need to explain to my management what will be the benefit of making it open-source. And you most probably know that Nokia and MS are partners in certain areas and the decision to open-source this component can not be simple.

Is there any way that the community could address any problems with the Google interaction?
To make this fact visible to the decision makers in Nokia and Google. And the community is doing it quite well in this thread, I have to admit

I and other team members want to make it compatible with Google (obviously) but I can not keep it as a personal (or even several individual's) activity. Besides all, it contradicts with my life principles - be transparent and never hide work-related activities from the management.

Second - do you have a test suite for MfE, with details on the stuff which definitely/sometimes doesn't work with Google (calendar, contacts or mail), please?
We do. But they are not public. I can say here that the typical problems with google now are timeouts. Server processes our requests much longer than (really heavy loaded) Exchange 2007 server.

Besides this, the problems which regular users are experiencing with google now have the same root cause as the problems of Exchange 2003 users. But delivering Exchange 2003 support does not mean automatic bringing of google support on board. In order to support the new implementation of the protocol (google implementation in this case), we have to make interoperability tests. Full set of them. Otherwise, it will be again "if it works for you, you are lucky". The percentage of the lucky people will increase, but it will not solve the real problem.

Third - Do you know if there is a way to synchronise contacts over SyncML with Google? This worked pretty well for me on my Nokia N82, I imagine (?) that it might also work well with my N900, if the client software's been ported.
Have no idea about this. To port the software from N82 to N900 is not a trivial case as the operation systems are different. N82 is Symbian-based while N900 is linux-based.

But if there is a software for previous maemo editions which addresses the same use case, the porting will be much easier.

- I have regular failed syncs with contacts.
- On at least one occasion, a sync which failed half way through left me with only a third of my contacts on the phone. A successful sync afterwards got me back into a better position.
Timeout issue I have mentioned above. It (most probably) failed because of timeout. The next sync started later and completed the previous sync task.

- It may only be an impression, or an interaction of a wifi issue & the sync issue, but I have the impression that often, after failed syncs, I lose routing information for my wifi connection too. I stay connected to my access point, but there's no DNS resolution or external internet access.
The probability that sync and this problem are related is close to zero as MfE does not do anything with connection management except requesting the internet connection when there is no connectivity in the device.

Anyway, thanks for MfE, and even if it doesn't work yet, it seems to me like there is a desire to go this route for Google and Nokia, so I imagine it will work better as time goes on.
Thank you for your time and feedback you have given.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
Exchange 2007 support is coming in an update. I routinely use MfE in N900 against Exchange 2003 for long time already.
Other way around, other way around, Alexander!

You use Exchange 2007 for long time already. And Exchange 2003 support will come as update.

Originally Posted by rewt View Post
2007 doesn't work at all, currently?

No. It works. Exchange 2003 does not. MfE status: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35136

Originally Posted by fusi View Post
i have heard, that you wont be able to sync if your sysadmin enforces a non numeric-only password policy on the server - i heard this was because you can only enter numerals in the pin entry unlock screen - is this true?
This is not the whole truth. The MfE is considered to be "non provisioning device" from Exchange server PoV. It basically means that it can not be managed from Exchange server - administrator can not wipe your device, request you to use autolock and so on. Basically, all the provisioning data received from the server is ignored and the server is informed that Maemo MfE does not support this feature.

Exchange administrator can configure the server in 2 ways - he/she can allow to use non-provisioning devices or disallow. In th e second case maemo MfE will not work as server will reject the connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!