Active Topics

Originally Posted by mishref
I just got off the phone with Nokia ... they have them in stock and are currently processing orders. It should take a "few days" for them to be shipped.
Thats interesting... I cancelled my 770 order yesterday...didnt get the email that I was told I would get to confirm the cancellation. I called Nokia this morning 11/19 around 9:30am EST. I was told my cancellation was indeed valid.. and there was still NO stock of the 770...

I plan to purchase a Palm T/X 11/20...post a review.. let the 770 mess settle down..,,see the 770 at CES.. wait for the next improved, version of the 770 (if there is one..) and maybe purchase the 770 (or another IT may be on the market by then) and then pass the Palm T/X on to my wife.... The Palm T/X will be $263 at Best Buy with discounts.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Oakland, Ca
I called today to ask how my order is progressing. They told me that they got the 770 in and it will be sent out in the next few days. At this point, I don't believe anything Nokia is saying. A crock of..... perhaps.

Is the 770 worth 75-100 more. Does the Palm unit stream audio? confused? Has anyone used the Palm TX. Does it format the Web Page to fit the screen (like the 770? I would think Web pages can not be displayed in full screen due to the lower res. Can the TX play back movies from the Sd Card

Last edited by skase; 2005-11-20 at 03:28. Reason: adding questions

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Internet_Cafe_W3
Ok just got off the phone with Nokia rep
I was told yet again that they recieved 600 770's on thursday, and that they have already been shipped.
I really don't know what to believe?
I was told Friday that Nokia has not recieved any units, the person who told me this said she was in the warehouse and the operator i was speaking too had no idea what he was saying. Tonight this information confirms what the other guy said was in fact true. If he speaks the truth.
This is a mystery, someone else inform us of what they have heard!

I too called a rep just to see what they would say. His response included something along the lines of "...it was launched on Thursday so it will take a few days to start shipping." I asked specifically if they had units in stock ready to ship and he said yes.

In my opinion, there's nothing to be believed until someone here confirms that theirs has shipped out. Too many different stories and too much information that has turned out not to be true. It's obvious that the amount of information they get is limited and that it's not shared equally amongst all reps.

Jeff

Originally Posted by skase
Is the 770 worth 75-100 more. Does the Palm unit stream audio? confused? Has anyone used the Palm TX. Does it format the Web Page to fit the screen (like the 770?). Can the TX play back movies from the Sd Card
I have a palm lifedrive, which is similar to the tx, except that it has a 4GB HD, faster processor and larger battery. They run the save version of palm os and have the same applications bundled, more or less. I'll take on these questions one at a time.

1. ptunes [pocket tunes] works pretty well, supports playing ogg, wav, mp3 and internet radio [streaming mpeg]. It's a pretty nice program, BUT, audio playback gets pretty horribly messed up if you
try to run it in the background and do any other kind of IO with another app. The 770 demo video show the 770 player working well, even while running other apps simultaneously.

2. A palm TX can browse the web. Blazer is a really annoying browser. It can reformat a page for the small display, or let you pan around a full size page. Blazer's network cache is pretty awful - you have to reload content just going back to the previous page.
It's also pretty slow. Opera and the bigger screen should make for a bunch nicer browsing experience.

3. The TX has several movie players available, including a free one which is pretty good, TCPMP, but still not up to a portable media players standards. The palm does OK in this area. Playing off a card works fine. Since I don't have a 770, yet, all I can do is say that the palm video software seems to work ok.

The TX is a nice PDA, much smaller than my lifedrive, but they had to slow the CPU down a lot to compensate for WIFI use with a smaller battery. I've read that it's not too noticable, but I'd expect that video playback will be affected at least a little bit. I should also point out that if the sensitivity of the TX'es wifi radio isn't better than on my lifedrive, you may be disappointed.

There may be some overlap in functionality, but I really don't see these devices as direct competitors, any more so than I think it makes sense to compare a TX to a PSP. I don't see myself getting rid of my lifedrive when the 770 shows up, especially since it should make a fine self powered 4GB usb hard drive for the 770. :-)

I plan to do a lot of business related hacking on this device, so the money really isn't an issue. Pretending for a moment that I was just a regular user buying one for pleasure, than the question of wether it is worth the extra $70 USD really depends on how much and how often you plan to use the 770 for it's intended purpose. Palm accessories are often quite expensive, so you may find that total cost of ownership is actually about equal.

Originally Posted by skase
Is the 770 worth 75-100 more. Does the Palm unit stream audio? confused? Has anyone used the Palm TX. Does it format the Web Page to fit the screen (like the 770? I would think Web pages can not be displayed in full screen due to the lower res. Can the TX play back movies from the Sd Card
I will be able to tell you firsthand real soon! Stay tuned. Plus, if I am not impressed enough with it's browsing ability, then I will return it and be out nothing but my time.

Last edited by TripleNickle; 2005-11-20 at 05:22.

Just a heads up to folks on here. Dr. Ari Jaaksi works for Nokia and has been the front man for the 770. He happens to have a blog where he has discussed the 770 over the past few months. Not that I think he can do much about the availbility issue, but I have posted a comment on his most recent blog entry about the problem so at least he's aware of it. Here's a link to the blog:

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/

And here's a link yo my comment:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...42474042911468

If you'd like, you can post a comment as well.

Jeff

Spoke with Nokia today. It sounds like the "motherload" has arrived. The rep stated he expects anyone that has an order will get it this week(even the Dec 14 date orders).

After reading many reviews(thanks WADDELL for the review) , the 770 seems to be better for muiltmedia . Since this will be a part time replacement for my laptop, having better res , larger screen and better multitasking capibilities is important. The open source will provide just about any application that is needed. The $50.00 OFF code puts this close to the $300.00 price range. Circuit City has a tempting offer today for the Palm X (249.00) Web Special in store pick . (Best Buy will Match).

Last edited by skase; 2005-11-20 at 17:22. Reason: price note

I really hope that this information is correct. If so, all the confusion will be easily forgotten.

Jeff