Active Topics

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
so apple, with their insane $96 billion cash should send all their salesmen to these kind of awesome trips in recognition of making iphone the best single selling phone in the universe ... that is IF the salesmen made it happen
apple just programs their sales bots up front for loyalty and positivity

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...955678908.html

check this youtube vid posted 2 days back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3TU...5aFAAAAAAAABAA

Nokia rewards one of the top salesmen. They really are counting on salesmen more rather then innovating in the right direction.

"Do you know Joe? He's T-Mobile's most enthusiastic Windows Phone sales rep. As a "thank you" for his excitement about our new Nokia Lumia line, we took him with us to CES in Las Vegas for a week of VIP treatment.

From Playboy parties to Ferraris to helicopter rides to the Grand Canyon, let's just say, what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas."

I dont know how much was spent on this trip, I'm happy for this guy who got to have fun, but about nokia, they should be paying all those meego/mer hackers to steer the company in the right direction.

Sorry, but that is akin to those old Autombile adverts with the Bikini Clad Babe on the bonnet with the mantra... "Yes if you buy this car she will be your wife".

It's also a little cliche that the guys name happens to be Joe. Nothing special about that admittedly, just the "average Joe".

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not quite sure what you people expected. You're celebrating the further decline of Nokia based on their decision to support WP7... we knew it wasn't going to sell even if you did slap on a Nokia label on it. WP7 ain't selling anywhere.

And some people think it's failing because it's great...

I think nokia should just come up with more harmattan devices. Thats not against their agreement with microsoft that they cant make harmattan devcies right? Nokia owns the harmattan code, they should just quietly work on it and surprise the world, shake the ground beneath everybody, only nokia can do it. Flood the market with so many varieties of harmattan devices, big small, with/without keyboards, single core, multi core, 256mb to 1gb ram products, 3" to 4.5" devices. Just like htc, OR just like nokia has done with symbian in the past, they had all kinds of funny looking funny shaped symbian devices, devices that you could look at n think "is that a phone, that cant be a phone".
Actually, one of the things in the agreement is that Windows Phone will be Nokia's "primary smartphone platform", so there probably is some sort of legal bind, although I would really like to see Microsoft suing Nokia because Harmattan consistently outsells WP platform.

But I think the bigger problem is that Elop's actions are pushing Nokia to the point where they will not be able to support own platform due to lack of expertize, people and services even if they wanted to.

Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
Actually, one of the things in the agreement is that Windows Phone will be Nokia's "primary smartphone platform", so there probably is some sort of legal bind, although I would really like to see Microsoft suing Nokia because Harmattan consistently outsells WP platform.
they are still developing & selling new Symbian (now ""NOKIA"") devices, thus merely a matter of renaming MeeGo... NeeGo or whatever

Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
But I think the bigger problem is that Elop's actions are pushing Nokia to the point where they will not be able to support own platform due to lack of expertize, people and services even if they wanted to.
Symbian is taken care of by Accenture now and has @ least two (major) releases (Carla & Donna) already on the works (Carla will require 1GHz CPU & Donna will support dual-core)
obviously the Public Releases for Harmattan are still coming out

between the two, there is plenty of leeway for N10 / N960, me thinks

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
there is plenty of leeway for N10 / N960, me thinks
But, but......Harmattan/Qt is not part of MS's ecosystem.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
But, but......Harmattan/Qt is not part of MS's ecosystem.
isn't it?
or was that still under Ric Green that Qt was supposed to be (sup-)ported (by) to LostDOS?

then again, by the very definition of it, an ecosystem is a vivid symbiosis of organism, the true cradle of life...
who knows what Qt could become??? ¦-)
it's open source after all, isn't it?

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
The edge of the phone is a lot lower profile than the N97/E7 though, so you have to grip it differently as there's less to push, and less to hold when it snaps shut. But if I wanted to, in a roundabout way, I'm not legally allowed to argue with you, so let's leave that there.
The E7 is difficult to pop open as well. That's one drawback that we get for crying like a bunch of babies for thinner QWERTY phones. Apple will release the 5 with an edge to edge screen. The thing
will sell like it is being given away for free.

Originally Posted by vitaminj
But the OS wasn't finished? I get the feeling that Harmattan wasn't always Ahtisaari's Swipe-fest though - did they have some intermediary thing that could have been ready earlier? Was it MeeGo API compliant, and all in QT? Would you really have wanted three Maemo OSes live in the community?
I presume that the device and OS were ready for primetime. The little peak in Transformers 3 proves that it was a desperate measure of Elop to cancel a potential profit.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I presume that the device and OS were ready for primetime. The little peak in Transformers 3 proves that it was a desperate measure of Elop to cancel a potential profit.
But all us community device program people got the N950 a couple of months before the N9's launch. Harmattan was still very beta - they wouldn't have been able to launch something earlier in the year to the public unless there had been some do-over internally and they had Something Else ready beforehand, but decided to add Swipe/QML-apps/etc., having been given extra time.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
But all us community device program people got the N950 a couple of months before the N9's launch. Harmattan was still very beta - they wouldn't have been able to launch something earlier in the year to the public unless there had been some do-over internally and they had Something Else ready beforehand, but decided to add Swipe/QML-apps/etc., having been given extra time.
You think that do-over was possible in couple months? Don't forget, initial plans for the N950 were an announcement in February and a possible March launch which is not so much ahead of N9. They must've had something ready for the public. Unless, Elop's stepping in has caused a massive delay since his obvious first command was the internal collapse of Nokia.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows