Notices

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Hey Nicola. Thanks for all of your hard work on all of this.

Of course you're right about the ISO having manual options. According to my RAW viewer and RAW Therapee though I can get to ISO 800 using Auto ISO but that is not available manual option. Would it be possible add manual options for 800 and 1600?
Maybe.

Also, do you think it would be possible for the RAW output to be closer to the JPEG output?
No, I just take what the camera api gives. I don't make any
processing on my own. The RAW output is what the camera
driver delivers and the jpeg image is what the gstreamer components made (dspjpenc for example).

Nicolai

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I wanted to verify. When I looked at the file in RAW Thjerapee the thumbnail looks like the JPG file but once you open the RAW file the thumbnail changes. I did a quick comparison between FCAM and Camera-ui2 and the output is nearly identical. Color might be slightly better on FCAM

Since FCAM already has the rawer RAW I would prefer to see a more processed RAW (closer to the JPEG output). Since Nokia understands the characteristics of the lens and sensor they produce a much more pleasing output. I think that is a better baseline for RAW editing (assuming we still have access to demosaic and NR)

NR is Noise Reduction. I prefer very heavy Chroma NR vs luminance. Chroma NR gets rid of the red and blue dots. Luminance gets rid of grain.
Ha ha! taking a shortcut often does not pay - after having tested the dng in rawtherapee originally, I made the comparisons based on what I saw using rawviewer on the n900. Your assessment is good news. So both fcamera and camera-ui2 raw have the vignetting, which perhaps is the most troublesome to correct? I would love to know Nokia's correction parameters.

thanks

PS: I wonder what then is the problem with the camera-ui2 dng for Lightroom? Remember that the fcamera devs had a problem with their dng at first and needed to tweak it.... Hmm, I wonder..

PPS: (off-topic) Darktable is another but new RAW developer http://darktable.sourceforge.net/about.shtml

PPPS: rawviewer on the n900 it seems, uses the embedded jpg.

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-03-18 at 19:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
. So both fcamera and camera-ui2 raw have the vignetting, which perhaps is the most troublesome to correct? I would love to know Nokia's correction parameters.
Me too. I am currently using the ColorChecker Passport to profile the camera. I thought that I could address color shift but because color is not uniform across the sensor profiling is not as effective as I had hoped.

I was under the same impression about RAW Viewer.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Just a note.
This is a "feature" of the stock camera ui, but the fact that it's missing from this clone is a plus for me.
The stock UI pauses the mediaplayer when it's started and resumes it when it's closed.
Stringing the binaries shows that they both talk to the policy daemon through libplayback.

I'm not sure if you want to implement this, but I like the idea of being able to record videos with the N900 while playing music.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
I also despise having audio pause when I'm taking a PICTURE. There no rhyme or reason for this from an experience point of view. Same issue with tying up PA on phone calls.

S60/Symbian handsets can play audio concurrently with an ongoing voice call and both parties hear them. Why on EARTH is this gimped on Maemo?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post

And of course, you can make your own .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=camera_ap_camera
Exec=/usr/bin/camera-ui2
Icon=tasklaunch_camera
X-Osso-Service=com.nokia.cameraui2
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-Text-Domain=osso-camera-ui
Please don't perpetuate that nonsense Nokia introduced regarding Version=
According to freedesktop.org .desktop specs the version tag is a) optional, but b) has to tell the version of the .desktop file syntax, which is always 1.0 for now.

compare wiki about .desktop files

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Maybe the audio pausing 'feature' was to reduce disk IO and CPU usage whilst recording video. I imagine trying to process a FLAC file or similar high bitrate stream would have a somewhat adverse reaction on video performance. If you try to add 720p it may be worth enabling for specific modes.

I noted a few pages back a post relating to the "recorded from device" tag. They mentioned how it is generated from concat device-id, random string and hashing (somewhat more detailed than what I put here). Haven't heard anything from you Nicolai on this. Does it solve the issue?

Hi,
Not sure what type of bugs I'm supposed to report. In RAW mode and (no pictures to review) mode the app freezes after taking a photo (the display is back) and returns a) if you switch to another app and then switch back b) close and open the lens cover.
Also in RAW mode there are instances when it says its using ISO 800 and I think its actually higher. I try to use the same exposure for Camera-UI2 as FCAM and FCAM would be at ISO 1600/ 3200 and Camera-UI2 says its at ISO 800.
Is there a way to display the shutter speed? I know it was already mentioned that shutter speed was impossible to set but if there is a way to show it so I can see it that would be great. In the DNG the shutter speed is not displaying properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Hi geohsia,

thank you for reporting this.

Hi,
Not sure what type of bugs I'm supposed to report.
All bug reports are helpful. I can not test all use cases myself.
So I am happy for any help.

In RAW mode and (no pictures to review) mode the app freezes after taking a photo (the display is back) and returns a) if you switch to another app and then switch back b) close and open the lens cover.
Ah, yes, the RAW mode is coupled with the preview mode as I am using
the preview image as the embedded preview for the raw file :-)
The app may get confused when preview mode is disabled and the
preview image arrives from the camera api.

Also in RAW mode there are instances when it says its using ISO 800 and I think its actually higher. I try to use the same exposure for Camera-UI2 as FCAM and FCAM would be at ISO 1600/ 3200 and Camera-UI2 says its at ISO 800.
Yes, as I wrote, the image tags for the raw file are not complete
some are missing and some are wrong (I hardcoded 800 as ISO-level
for all raw files)

Is there a way to display the shutter speed? I know it was already mentioned that shutter speed was impossible to set but if there is a way to show it so I can see it that would be great. In the DNG the shutter speed is not displaying properly.
The problem with the image tags for the raw file is, the camera
capture parameter like iso and shutter speed are there, but
not directly accessible from my application. I searched the last
days to find a way to capture these parameters.
The more technical explanation:
The camera api is based on gstreamer. There are multiple
gstreamer elements involved. A camera source (gstv4l2camsrc)
reads the camera capture parameter and send this data
as gstevent. This events go through the gstpipeline
get caught by the metdatamux which converts them to exiftag
data for the filesink.
Until yesterday I couldn't find a way to catch this data. I searched
for a way to monitor or listen for this gstevents.
But it seems to be a uncommen requirement. Finally I found
this method gst_pad_add_event_probe()
which is exactly what I need.

Nicolai

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
Hi Nicolai,
is there any chance to increase the GPS accuracy in the EXIF header?
see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11934 and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6584

Thanks that I don't have to confirm that no Internet connection is available in your version! https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9918 (difference of GPS data and location name)

MikeCC

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle