Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton, WI, US
I have set a 256mb swap on my external card (class 6), and set firefox to 16mb cache, and firefox now runs better than microb, although the initial load time is about the same. Has anyone found any tips on getting firefox to start up faster?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by jscribble View Post
I have set a 256mb swap on my external card (class 6), and set firefox to 16mb cache
That's a lotta swap for the browser, and even on a class 6 card would be relatively dog-slow access times. The N900 already has 256mb RAM + 768mb fast swap available for Firefox (or anything else) to access already. Are you sure it really runs faster, or is it just wanting to feel some reward for your efforts?

Has anyone found any tips on getting firefox to start up faster?
I suppose you could try to figure out how to get Firefox to pre-load itself in memory at boot like MicroB does. I'm not sure how to go about it though and no doubt would be really tricky to do.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I suppose you could try to figure out how to get Firefox to pre-load itself in memory at boot like MicroB does. I'm not sure how to go about it though and no doubt would be really tricky to do.
The Mozilla team would probably have to write a pre-loader for this to happen. Or you can open Firefox and have it open at all times, I guess it's pretty much the same thing

I run firefox on my x86 PC. I saw firefox on for the n900 so I downloaded it.

I still use firefox on my desktop, but it runs slower than the default browser, and I see no benefit from it.

I took firefox off my n900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GI jack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
The N900 already has 256mb RAM + 768mb fast swap available for Firefox
I should clarify, I have an n810, and I have been timing page loads to usable, not a perfect benchmark, but there is a difference of several seconds on most pages.

I also set prefetch.next to false, which made the awesome bar a lot more usable.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Or you can open Firefox and have it open at all times
That's exactly what I've been doing. It really doesn't seem to slow other apps down, I can run video on Canola without a problem with firefox hiding in the shadows. It would be nice to have a loader at boot, but it sounds like a pain for anyone to build a solution.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Firefox is really crap comparing to MicroB. I enable flash support and yet it's can't even display flash properly. Without flash enable it's slow as hell to load and sometimes even hang randomly if the web page is graphic intensive.

I'll stick with Micro B for now.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
The Mozilla team would probably have to write a pre-loader for this to happen. Or you can open Firefox and have it open at all times, I guess it's pretty much the same thing
Prelinking might help here.

Shaq

The Following User Says Thank You to born2wonder For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by born2wonder View Post
Prelinking might help here.

Shaq
Is there an arm build of this?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by jscribble View Post
Is there an arm build of this?
http://maemo.org/packages/view/prelink/