Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
To be fair, while I'd note that Nokia have made their fair share of mistakes (MyNokia being my least favourite), I'm equally disappointed with the lack of _proactive_ response from the community on things at times, I can't remember where I read it or when but I think it was Jaffa noting that there is a severe lack of people standing up and making things happen.. one of the foremost examples of this in my mind is Modest - the mail client on your n900..
The slams in the rant were directed at community members who actually DO step up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Yes, I was mearly commenting on cause, not defending it's effects.
This is the only forum that have expert hackers of linux/maemo/n900 that know anything, and supposedly have a contact path with Nokia. Why all the angry post/trolling and whatnot ends up here I think is quite logical. Here is also the only forum that have people that defend Nokia and its policy for maemo/n900. If you want info about maemo/n900 this is the only place to be.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by inidrog View Post
This is the only forum that have expert hackers of linux/maemo/n900 that know anything, and supposedly have a contact path with Nokia. Why all the angry post/trolling and whatnot ends up here I think is quite logical. Here is also the only forum that have people that defend Nokia and its policy for maemo/n900. If you want info about maemo/n900 this is the only place to be.
The arrival is logical; the petty behavior is not. Intelligent, mature people will quickly understand the nature of this community forum and engage accordingly. Most should easily be aware that punishing people here for Nokia's sins is pointless and stupid.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
This is really heartachingly upsetting when seeing a long term member leaving the community. It really making me realised that N900 is slowly dying.. along with its glory for the last 9months of hyped!

Farewell my friend. Do come back and help us if you changed your mind. We'll be missing you.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll take a moment just to say that it was qwerty's work that allowed me to optimize the living daylights out of my N810. His knowledge kept me here at ITT, I mean TMO. And his ability to go from knowledgeable answer to semi-rant and all points in-between... hell, he just seemed like a real cool person to me.

I get the frustration. I also get his ability. Both are undeniable truths. And in one motion, he answered a question that nobody from Nokia solved, he hacked around the closed bits (on such an open system) to get it to work right, has contributed much more than I ever could to this community and to the OS that's at the core of why we're all here... and left on a note that is a bitter taste of necessary medicine to swallow.

Do I agree 100%? It's not important. He had his reasons for all of it. And I can't say I blame him either.

All I can state... thank you for the last three years. I learned more from you qwerty12 than damn near any group of people still active in this forum combined. Thanks for rootsh, thanks for your answers, thanks for your presence.

And if anything... please rethink the rant part and start to remove that so that it does not limit your possible employment future. Not saying that you are not able to hold such an opinion - I fully believe in the freedom of speech, do so daily whilst here - but not all people are of the like mind.

Good luck on any and all of your future endeavors. And again... thank you.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
...relentlessly R E S P E C T

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Great guy lost....

qwerty12, I just joined this community and I'm sure I'll miss you.
I know you will success in anything you will do and wish you good luck.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Qwerty12!! Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... I loveded youuuuuuu~~~~!

...but I totally sympathize. heh I guarantee you he'll be in a MUCH happier place anywhere else, as someone so constructive and interesting should be. It's just a shame that Nokia had provided the POTENTIAL for something so much better than anywhere else and flipped it on its head.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
Hehe the rant part was funny, although I did not like attack on texrat tbh. To everybody wondering why the community is not eager to develop for N900, here are my main reasons, why I have lost all interest:

1. It's a dead platform, whatever UI app you code today, will be pretty much irrelevant on new device, unless you do it in QT maybe. I have no interest in C++ and QT, part of my decision to go with maemo, was that it had GTK.

2. Terrible graphics drivers: no vsync, no buffer swaps, broken 3D. This means no smooth, good looking apps. And the wontfix attitude from nokia devs on such important matters. There was one Nokia dev stating in the bug report that buffer swaps dont matter, blits are as fast ... how can you expect anything from such people?

3. Stupid architectural decisions like pulseaudio, which manages to eat 20% of CPU at times, too many daemons and moving parts, all eating ram.

Nokia sw has always been rubbish, I dont expect that to change in near future, but the graphics driver thing was a new low, they did not even have to code it, just demand from vendor ...

Anyway, I recently got myself an ipad and I'm learning to code for it. I probably end up buying an iphone 4 and keeping N900 around for experimentation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baxyp For This Useful Post:

Tags
childish, fa[n]bo[j]s, icanhazapp?, ranting, reality, ridiculous, strong language, teen_angst, warning