Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Ah, I see where you were going. To me, that's like shutting down a production server to boot into a test/development partition though. Sure, it lessens the chance of damage to the production data, but it's taking production off-line for the duration.
I wonder if you could use qole's chroot scripts to chroot into the partition without shutting down...

I haven't seen qole's latest work (I've got an older version of Easy-debian installed, but it's working great so haven't upgraded) but might that work? I know from the scripts I use that the mount -o bind /home/user/ line would need to be adjusted, but other than that...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The only useful view in my tablet contacts screen is "Online". If they aren't online, I don't want to see them
You missed my point.

Many of my contacts have six, eight, or more AIM accounts. New accounts are created regularly and old accounts discarded. As a rule, the account names have nothing to with the real names of the individuals behind them, and the users switch their active accounts--several times a day--depending upon where they are who they want to know they are online.

I don't want to sit staring at my "Online" list trying to remember if a given account is Teresa at work chatting with customers or Heather at home, only visible to family. I just want to know if the person to whom I want to communicate is online. Hence the need for account merging.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Many of my contacts have six, eight, or more AIM accounts. New accounts are created regularly and old accounts discarded. As a rule, the account names have nothing to with the real names of the individuals behind them, and the users switch their active accounts--several times a day--depending upon where they are who they want to know they are online.
Wow. That's ... erm... quite something.

No wonder I didn't understand. My contacts have had the same accounts for years, and if they have multiple accounts, I'm always relegated to the "I don't want him to know I'm online, EVER" category.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
umm... please chastise me if i'm incorrect, but it seems to me that the last several posts should constitute a new thread.

(i'm sick of this "useless" title)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
umm... please chastise me if i'm incorrect, but it seems to me that the last several posts should constitute a new thread.
Probably, but this site has a history of threads growing organically. Until very recently, the site had one moderator, its admin, Reggie. I don't recall him ever splitting a thread, he only merged threads when it was to move his front page announcements into existing threads of the same topic, and he only closed threads on exceedingly rare occasions for the most grievous of personal attacks.

We're not used to rigorously maintaining threads.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have never respected the "original purpose" of troll threads. They've always been a place to goof around, trash talk, and make small talk.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
i stand corrected.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
We're not used to rigorously maintaining threads.
it's a beautiful thing, sort of like a nature reserve. except, people are allowed to bring whatever they want INTO the park and leave it there. like litter... or rabid wolves... or rings of power. which isn't always a beautiful thing. i mean, that stuff can really screw up a fragile ecosystem. but ITT isn't a fragile ecosystem, from what i've seen, so it works.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
it's a beautiful thing, sort of like a nature reserve. except, people are allowed to bring whatever they want INTO the park and leave it there. like litter... or rabid wolves... or rings of power. which isn't always a beautiful thing. i mean, that stuff can really screw up a fragile ecosystem. but ITT isn't a fragile ecosystem, from what i've seen, so it works.
Rrriiiings, rrriiings... Oh, I miss Kingdom O' Magic. The good old fashioned traditional quest...

# The Good, Old Fashioned, Traditional Quest - "Here you and you alone must travel the length and girth of the Kingdom, battling monsters, righting wrongs and lowering property value wherever you go, until you can finally rescue the dragon, steal the princess and kill the treasure!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_O%27_Magic

Eh whatever.

I guess by all your standards the device works. I don't think it's broken, just too big for it's own shoes. Even when the device first came out.

Here's hoping another *can* find use in mine, I still think some of you guys should have posting suspended for some of the things you said about me.

But I guess your circle-jerking is a true testament to how corrupted with ignorance a community can become. Bravo regulars and your carte-blanche permission to hate on your terms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Omega For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive