Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Thanks Qole !
For the clarification !
--thought so, but got confused on the way, partly by a post (below) where you mention changing mer-switch.
( Me beginner, no can speak Linux.)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Here's the rootfs for the partition. Just plain Mer 0.15 with tweaks to work in a chroot.

http://qole.org/files/easy-mer-015-1.tgz

You need to change, in Maemo, /usr/bin/mer-switch to run start-hildon-easymer instead of start-hildon...
- - -

As to the charger's influence ,
just a speculation :
Can it be that the circuitry managing the charging is not decoupled enough?
Can processor shut-down and reboot be electrically disturbed by such?
Boot-menu has an entry "poweroff when not on charger".
Could it be that this process and reboot code have some module in common?
A bug in such a module might convey influence from charging?

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Has anyone been able to organize/organise the applications in the settings yet? I can launch it and see the list (My selection, Internet...Extras, etc...), but the menu is unresponsive from there. I also must force quit to exit.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
mfortner: I think that's currently a bug in Mer.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
What are others observing regarding battery life using Easy Mer?Any difference than in Diablo?

I got Easy Mer but can't get you tube to work. if anyone can show me where the mer switch is. and plus show how to get some applications on Mer another thing my debian doesn't work anymore!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just tried youtube in Easy Mer Tear. Very strange; the player displays, the timer starts counting, the red bar starts moving across to show that the video is loading... but the video area remains black.

If you want to get Easy Debian working again, either edit your /home/user/.chroot file and point it to your Easy Debian partition / image file, or just uninstall Easy Mer and things will return to the way they were before.

I think I'll release another Easy Mer image this week, this time with the slow-loading OpenOffice 3.0 installed for you (with the file open bug fix installed too). The benefit of this version of OpenOffice is that it works fine with the virtual keyboard so N800 users can use it easily.

Just a note about editing your .chroot file. The current version of Easy Mer doesn't set the permissions of the file correctly, so you need to do this first:

Code:
sudo chown user:users /home/user/.chroot

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I got Mer 2.0 installed and keep on getting stuck on Network connection. Can you help understand more about this Mer 2.0?

I also didn't know installing the Mer 2.0 would delete everything on External MMC. This really upsets me I had reformat this over and over I'm having so much trouble with Mer 2.0!

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I have no idea what you have done, but this thread is about using Mer in a chroot, without booting in it. If you are uding easyMer, it really shouldn't touch you memorycards. If you are using the real Mer, which you will boot into, Merinstaller should have noted you about fromatting cards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole
Originally Posted by Hiepnautik
I can't get Debian without installing EasyMer, can you help? Thanx!!
Please post your questions in the appropriate (public) thread.
I have EasyMer running fine but when i try run debian it won't run I know you told me to uninstall EasyMer but I want to be able to run both. and what applications is good for Easymer and Debian?

Last edited by Hiepnautik; 2009-08-26 at 23:18.

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu