Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I don't imbibe, so I can't fully test this use case, but I can hold my N810 in my left hand and type. I've done so on occasion, though typing with one thumb is slower than typing with two, so it's not my first choice.
Actually I do that, too, sometimes (right hand, though). The thumb is on the keyboard, and I'm holding the device with 4 fingers (my palm is below and not to the sides in that case). Not the most convenient, but doable with beer in other hand (do I have to attach a picture ? )

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Try again, sir.

I think you should try the phone out in landscape mode before flipping out because most apps don't run in portrait mode. You might find that it works a lot better than expected and you won't ever miss portrait mode ever again.
Like me.
I think Messus and Ysss have a point there - its not a either or case and Ysss does believe that I am sure.

But to be objective, missing a portrait keyboard WOULD be a sore point to the bigger market as a whole - and to reviewers who will judge and evaluate a phone in comparison to the multitude of other devices. That does mean it is a dealbreaker - NO.

And to Ragner's (and Nokia's) point - yes they had to sacrifice the feature for the sake of faster bring-to-market times.

So as long as everybody realises both viewpoints are and can coexist but there will be talk of missing feature (just as in this thread), that's acceptable. I don't think YSSS is cribbing about his viewpoint solely - but the bigger view.
So lets rest this issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby
I don't imbibe, so I can't fully test this use case, but I can hold my N810 in my left hand and type. I've done so on occasion, though typing with one thumb is slower than typing with two, so it's not my first choice.
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually I do that, too, sometimes (right hand, though). The thumb is on the keyboard, and I'm holding the device with 4 fingers (my palm is below and not to the sides in that case). Not the most convenient, but doable with beer in other hand (do I have to attach a picture ? )
You guys obviously don't drink as much beer as I do

Of course It's a missing feature and of course I'd rather prefer the hw kb any time and of course it doesn't really matter that much not having portrait mode kb and stuff.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
I think Marat will release ATi for fremantle so you'll have these babies in your n900 replacing portrait calculator

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This morning we were all watching the keynote in the hall, and I got the chance to ask people like ragnar or Mohammad Anwari (Input Method Framework) about this portrait keyboard and the possibility for the community to come up with something useful and usable.

Short and common answer: not easy at all.

Sure, Marcelo or <Your Name Here> can put some designers to work on a qwerty layout and then some coders to integrate it to the framework and make it show up when an app requires it in portrait mode. A very different thing is that Marcelo or <Your Name Here> will be able to hit those keys without mistakes, typing effortlessly with the thumb of your one hand.

If someone comes with a prototype we can start discussing on top of something more concrete.

Qgil :

That's the challenge. While I ( after designing more than half dozen on screen keyboards) now that this is hard, I only proposed after looking at a feel details:

a) The screen is almost exactly as large as the iphone (ipod touch)

And the best:

Nokia Industrial design finally removed the "bevel" around the border of the screen. this also makes the life easier because enables smaller border for the keys that are on the left or right edges.

The real deal here is not about the space: but about plugging the prediction and doing some error correction smart dictionary (flexible) based on word movement pattern.

I truly believe (because of the Ind. Design) that the N900 can have a virtual keyboard in portrait as good as the iphone, and REALLY way better than Android's (HTC MAGIC ) G2.

---

And Qim : You are not only using one thumb, you have the freedom also to double thumb on that, as well using a point finger.

The thing (like you asked before) :"Do you really prefer typing on T9 portrait than in the keyboard fully available "

It's situation based, and in our Usability studies, it does make sense for a lot of people that simply don't want to keep turning the device ALL the time they make something.

- That's truly why I totally understand why the whole device is in landscape, it sends a message : It was made for that orientation.

- And for sure, it would be PAINFUL (I know that the Nokia design UI team for Maemo would suffer like hell to please everyone)

But that's why I posted :

We are not the users What makes sense for you and me.. doesn't make sense to the masses
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by myrjola View Post
Clock (screensaver), digital one, big letters (like in e71)

I think checking time from my mobile is one of the most common uses.
You can just press the power button when keyboard is locked and you will see unlocking screen with clock time. It is not portrait though. This is how I check the time from my N900, I don't use my Symbian phone anymore.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karoliinasalmin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
As pointed out: development takes time, and hardware has its limits. There is no one size fits all.

Originally Posted by messus View Post
People want to be able to choose!! Not to be limited!!

Simple as that!
Therefore, part of your choice is to pick a different device than N900 to suit your needs.

Such an expensive device, lacking way behind with regards to software, should support both landscape and portrait mode, to justify the price..

And yes, in most cases I would choose portrait mode, and not have to use both my hands just to answar an sms..
Then you'd better get device with candybar design. Do you really need touchscreen? From this post I'd say a device like Nokia E71 is good for your specific use case as outlined here. You can use it easily with one hand.

Now, does that make Nokia E71 a killer product and Nokia N900 crap? Ofcourse not. Every device has its pros and cons.

Originally Posted by karoliinasalmin View Post
You can just press the power button when keyboard is locked and you will see unlocking screen with clock time. It is not portrait though. This is how I check the time from my N900, I don't use my Symbian phone anymore.
OK, thanks for the info.

So one thing to infer from all this

There is going to be NO Keyboard less version of the N900 anytime soon

Unless the portrait mode softKB is ready, a HWKB less N900 will be ridiculed in the market - as then you cannot justify asking users to turn the phone around to type on the soft landscape keyboard when in portrait mode. At least with the HWKBD you can justify that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@nilchak:

?

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case