Active Topics

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
did qgil said something to this topic in any of these threads? cant see him anywhere and just wondering...
I knew Gil Quim through his work (GTK) long before he was recruited by Nokia (the good old pioneering Maemo days!) but since then he seemed to be reduced to a "community" spokesperson for Nokia's shortcomings. First the unexpected switch to Qt (it would have worked!) and now this.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if he was in the process of being deported and put on an FBI most wanted list the way ms-flop is churning Nokia inside out!

That was a compliment btw. Despite his (Nokia's) lack of achievement during his tenure I do believe he had the best of intentions at all times.

I recall there being a saying about the "road to hell being paved..."

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I do care about open source.

I'm just not some blubbering fool lacking a reality check.
LMAO!

.....don't forget, he's from India and his blood is boiling.

I love the way he shoehorned his country of origin into his statement. What relevance that has to anything eludes me.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 21:47.

Originally Posted by akshaypratinav View Post
hey i lost my n900 phone can anyone tell me if i can track my phone .
We're all a bit busy at the moment trying save Nokia with a cunning plan. Look down the back of the sofa Donkey Breath.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 21:50.

@mrbondage

I've lived in India and so is mine.

Does that make our concerns any less valid?

Your post OTOH I found simply offensive.

edit: maybe the relevance of "origins" is that the concerns are shared globally, whether we are considered south/north-american, nordic, asian or germanic as you may be.

Last edited by Peet; 2011-02-11 at 21:53.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
@mrbondage

I've lived in India and so is mine.

Does that make our concerns any less valid?

Your post OTOH I found simply offensive.

edit: maybe the relevance of "origins" is that the concerns are shared globally, whether we are considered south/north-american, nordic, asian or germanic as you may be.
OK, concerns are shared globally. Thats like telling me the Sun is hot.

Once again, I still fail to see why that dudes country of origin has any relevance....to anything. If you observe old people in conversation, they always have to mention their age. Like it gives them some sort of prestige.

Anyway, I'm from England and my blood is not boiling. Fascinating.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 22:05.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Earnest question: What was so hard about getting a polished Maemo (or Meego) out the door?

I considered Diablo on my N800 pretty damn good. I spent two days customizing an N810 for a non-techy friend (adding and tweaking browsers and apps, putting the apps she would use in Personal Menu, setting up and simplifying Maemo Mapper, etc.) and, except for the lack of a simple and integrated PIM, it was a pretty good consumer device for her. Nokia could have been doing that work and making it consumer-frendly out of the box.

Then with Fremantle they had phone integration and other improvements.

After accomplishing all that, they spent hundreds of millions of dollars, and still couldn't get it done right?

I mean it: What the heck went wrong? What was so hard?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Earnest question: What was so hard about getting a polished Maemo (or Meego) out the door?
This has to do with hiring mature and professional developers v.s hackers or just of college grads. The developer is ultimately responsible for the quality of their application. A mature developer will follow through from inception to release/maintainence (not just the 'cool' coding parts)

The only apps which looked to be world-class were microb and conversations.

Of course, this might have been the intention of the management.. "just ship it out.... we're not going to market it as a consumer phone".. but at the same time, we wont tell anyone its ONLY for linux geeks either

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
First the unexpected switch to Qt (it would have worked!) and now this.
What do you mean with "it would have worked"?
Was/Is the switch from GTK/Clutter to Qt/GraphicsScene a serious problem?

I've been doing a bit of thinking and a hell of a lot of reading of these Nokia/MS threads and this public display of mourning about Nokia is a bit.....weird.

Gerbick says "this fandom is laughable" and I absolutely agree.

The clincher for me was when someone in one of these threads said "ever since hearing the news, I have hardly been able to breathe" and another thread entitled "soul searching" with some dude almost tearfully reminiscing about all the years he has had a Nokia.

W.h.a.t t.h.e f.*.*.k?

I mean, come on people. Do get a grip.

If you had been diagnosed with a brain tumour or your mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I could understand such grieving. But it's a company that makes shitloads of money selling gadgets. That is all.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 22:29.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Peet: do not feed the trolls.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining