Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey juiceme,

I thought I had already summarized above
But once again (maybe more precise).
Nit is working
Harmattan (all kernels) working

Nemo:
I got it (this morning)
I had a wrong link (mnt/7 instead of /mnt/7). Please do NOT kill me (even remotely) ...
BUT: that was not enough. The return value of kexec -l was 255. So we never ever got to execute the kernel or return to console. Nice idea would here be to go back to menu?
So i just added a few lines to return a "0" in case the result was not "0". Then Nemo booted fine !? What the heck? I did not find meaning of "kexec -l" returning 255. But kexec -e worked.

So no problems at all with partitions or logical disks or my mods (just the wrong link).

Thank you

--edit
OK, got a dead battery. And put it to charger. Checked again and now return value is "0", so everything okay!
This time bootreason=usb. When I got the 255 the bootreason was sw_rst. Maybe this caused the 255? IDK.
But I am happy

--Remarks
- I still have sometimes weird restart behavior, i.e. after decoupling battery (nemo did not start) it needed a few attempts. It seems bootreason=pwr_off? Maybe change the bootreason in command_line also?
- Charging does not take place when connected charger to powered off phone. it goes to ubi console and does not charge.
Maybe wait for 60s and when there was no telnet connection established (do not know how to detect) then boot to Harmattan (bootreason=act_dead) and let it charge?
- A recovery shell from ubi console! After rethinking and recognizing that this (n)9 is a touch-only device, it would be hard to achieve, or?
- Possibly add /mnt/5, /mnt/6, /mnt/7 dirs in file system and code (maily unmounting in init). And if somehow easy configurable Nemo partition (7 instead of 4). Not for me, as I already have and know now what to do.
In this context again my question regarding the possible number of devices on mmcblk0? Anybody here knows about that?
(maybe thedead? , thanks for the drivers)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-03-14 at 13:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey juiceme,

I thought I had already summarized above
But once again (maybe more precise).
Nit is working
Harmattan (all kernels) working
Ah, I am sorry, it's just that lately I've been doing quite a lot of support for people with ubiboot and once in a while I get mixed up about different problems

But yes, now that I read the thread back a bit I find all the information there.

Nemo:
I got it (this morning)
I had a wrong link (mnt/7 instead of /mnt/7). Please do NOT kill me (even remotely) ...
BUT: that was not enough. The return value of kexec -l was 255. So we never ever got to execute the kernel or return to console. Nice idea would here be to go back to menu?
So i just added a few lines to return a "0" in case the result was not "0". Then Nemo booted fine !? What the heck? I did not find meaning of "kexec -l" returning 255. But kexec -e worked.
in shell scripts the return value is just u_char, so 255 means -1. That would translate to -EPERM, which is really strange since you should only get that when attempting kexec_load as non-root user...?

So no problems at all with partitions or logical disks or my mods (just the wrong link).

Thank you

--edit
OK, got a dead battery. And put it to charger. Checked again and now return value is "0", so everything okay!
This time bootreason=usb. When I got the 255 the bootreason was sw_rst. Maybe this caused the 255? IDK.
But I am happy
bootreason is a flag that comes off the NOLO as the indicator on how the system should behave on startup, so for example "usb" means system was started because USB was plugged on when device was OFF, "rtc" means system has powered up because a calendar/clock event was triggered etc...
I find it highly unlikely that this has something to do with the kexec_load return value.
Actually, this is just the indicator I need to watch for, as the bug correction mentioned earlier

--Remarks
- I still have sometimes weird restart behavior, i.e. after decoupling battery (nemo did not start) it needed a few attempts. It seems bootreason=pwr_off? Maybe change the bootreason in command_line also?
- Charging does not take place when connected charger to powered off phone. it goes to ubi console and does not charge.
Maybe wait for 60s and when there was no telnet connection established (do not know how to detect) then boot to Harmattan (bootreason=act_dead) and let it charge?
Yes, this is because for the charging to work correctly BME should be enabled with g_nokia but the device mistakenly thinks that it's not connected to charger but rather to a PC, and hence loads g_multi to export directories and wait for telnet connection.
To be fixed in near future

- A recovery shell from ubi console! After rethinking and recognizing that this (n)9 is a touch-only device, it would be hard to achieve, or?
Well, ever heard of sillykbd?
I already made my own virtual keyboard for N9 preinit environment, it's usable for things like encfs passphrase entry. There's just four lines of text visible on screen at the same time but that's better than nothing. it's actually fairly nice hack, done just with bash scripting
It would not be too difficult to implement a small shell interface with something like it...
See https://toosa.swgman.org/svn/sillykbd/TRUNK/sillykbd

- Possibly add /mnt/5, /mnt/6, /mnt/7 dirs in file system and code (maily unmounting in init). And if somehow easy configurable Nemo partition (7 instead of 4). Not for me, as I already have and know now what to do.
Yes, can be done and will be added to backlog.

In this context again my question regarding the possible number of devices on mmcblk0? Anybody here knows about that?
(maybe thedead? , thanks for the drivers)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Ah, I am sorry, it's just that lately I've been doing quite a lot of support for people with ubiboot and once in a while I get mixed up about different problems
No need to be sorry, not at all.

in shell scripts the return value is just u_char, so 255 means -1. That would translate to -EPERM, which is really strange since you should only get that when attempting kexec_load as non-root user...?
u_char I knew, but where to find info about return values?
Seems I need to educate myself a bit more ...

bootreason is a flag that comes off the NOLO as the indicator on how the system should behave on startup,
I find it highly unlikely that this has something to do with the kexec_load return value.
Me tto, as it is only a string passed to kernel, right? But ...

Yes, this is because for the charging to work correctly BME should be enabled with g_nokia but the device mistakenly thinks that it's not connected to charger but rather to a PC, and hence loads g_multi to export directories and wait for telnet connection.
To be fixed in near future
THX. But that would mean also connected via USB to PC will not load? But on wall carger yes? Fair deal.

Well, ever heard of sillykbd?
I already made my own virtual keyboard for N9 preinit environment, it's usable for things like encfs passphrase entry. There's just four lines of text visible on screen at the same time but that's better than nothing. it's actually fairly nice hack, done just with bash scripting
It would not be too difficult to implement a small shell interface with something like it...
See https://toosa.swgman.org/svn/sillykbd/TRUNK/sillykbd
Yes, can be done and will be added to backlog.
Wow, that would be cool. Never heard of, only sillyboot.
toosa.swagman.org is down?

Thanks to your work I start to like the N9, even I still need a PC alongside

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
No need to be sorry, not at all.

u_char I knew, but where to find info about return values?
Seems I need to educate myself a bit more ...

Me too, as it is only a string passed to kernel, right? But ...

THX. But that would mean also connected via USB to PC will not load? But on wall carger yes? Fair deal.

Wow, that would be cool. Never heard of, only sillyboot.
toosa.swagman.org is down?

Thanks to your work I start to like the N9, even I still need a PC alongside
Return values I just looked from the kernel sources, where the call is handled.

The charging/connection seems to be a tradeoff at the moment. It could be possible to hack up a module that does both, maybe. I really just took what was already there and did not look that deeply into it.

Re: toosa being down, no, it's up, but there's some DNS trickery going on, maybe?
Try the IP address: https://88.115.90.185/svn/sillykbd/TRUNK/sillykbd

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Updated ubiboot to use alternate installation FS. Now it is possible to use either mtd4 or mtd5 partition.
See changes of installation the README file

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
I dont understand the part, where kernel file put to

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
anywhere to mmcbk0p2
for example in readme: /boot

@juiceme instructions 3. ends with umount. 4. starts with configuring boot.conf. but partition was unmounted

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
anywhere to mmcbk0p2
for example in readme: /boot
I have in 3 zimage in /boot, after bootup harmattan Nokia Logo appear but then shutdown.

Confirm the kernel not put in /mnt/boot/Harmattan/boot?
make the directory self?

/boot/Harmattan in ubifs is symlink to / in meego