Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Indeed Copernicus I am aware of all your comments. (Of course why you need a tablet is another can of worms) I come from a N900 background. My problem is not with the device, but more the the continual updating of "soon". look at the Jolla phone and the replacement battery saga. Yes Jolla did sell replacement batteries - but it was once in a VERY small number. Yes Jolla did ship the tablet, but its been once in a very small number!

When does one start to loose faith in Jolla?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
The fanboys you see on TJC (and, to some extent, here)? Never. For them, Jolla is a god. Jolla could murder babies and they would find some way to justify it.

For the rest of us, the question is more like, "when will we be able to start trusting Jolla?"

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
All said.
As well from that pov as from that.

Sadness is growing ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
As a hardware company? I lost faith in them years ago. The phone (which never made it to American shores in the first place) had, as you note, the lack of batteries even though the replaceable battery was a feature. I also fault Jolla for ignoring the vast promise of the Other Half, even though they initially marketed it heavily. Even worse, they've let the concept sit and languish for years now; I think they should have at least given it to some other group to let them continue improving the idea and producing more devices. (Hopefully, this upcoming spinoff company will help in this department.)

As a software company? They've done a fairly amazing job constructing a mobile GUI that stands up well against iOS or Android. And they haven't crippled the open source OS lying beneath it. And so, I do have faith in their efforts here.

Basically, I'm willing to write off Jolla's attempts at producing consumer hardware as little more than a way to get Sailfish into user's hands as quickly as possible...

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The fanboys you see on TJC (and, to some extent, here)? Never. For them, Jolla is a god. Jolla could murder babies and they would find some way to justify it.
The truth is out there

For the rest of us, the question is more like, "when will we be able to start trusting Jolla?"
Trust no one

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Pichlo, please stop with this trolling. All that can arise from your post is flame, nothing else.

You described fanboys/optimists with the first statement and you described haters/pessimists with the second one ("when will we be able to start trusting Jolla?"). The reality is neither black nor white, so stop putting people into two radical groups. I'm sure the majority of users can understand that all companies (startups especially) face problems and challenges, but is also reasonably impatient when the product they are hoping to receive has delays.

I for one dislike blind following (and cheering for every change/product), but also dislike sarcastic posts about how Jolla is doomed and can't be trusted. I always imagine the (realistic) situation where Jolla goes bankrupt and these people will cheer how it's better to have no GNU/Linux+Qt+multitasking mobile OS on the market, than having one that isn't perfect (for example 100% FOSS, as much as I'd love that).

Enough about this, though. This thread is supposed to be about the tablet shipping. This and this is some interesting food for thought.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-10-17 at 14:21.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Enough about this, though. This thread is supposed to be about the tablet shipping.
Yes.

But raising concerns about trustees of company to deliver belong very well to this thread, imho.

And they did not prove that they can handle such things (in the past).

But let us look into the future (Maemo CSSU on Neo900?)...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Pichlo, please stop with this trolling. All that can arise from your post is flame, nothing else.
Eh, castis omnia casta.

But OK, I will try to keep in mind what kind of audience might read my posts.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
@VlaoMao, that is sooo cool!
Did you hack your own webcrawler script to accumulate the spreadsheet or did you find the backer.txt somewhere?
Nice Nice...

i am thinking of a db script to combine the two existing spreadsheets in one. Do i have permission to use your backer.txt?
We could at least see who from the community-created-list was the last one to recieve a tablet as of now!

Back Off-Topic :P
My motto in life, "living is easier if you do expect nothing from people who failed you once".
In case of Jolla, i made a conscious differentiation after the Phone delivery and mediocre HW fail, only because their main goal is OS development and Hardware obviously is only a "push to market" thing.

Yes they failed on communication and possibly some other things we can not estimate due to lack of communication...
But i feel more sorry for them not reaching their goals then for my puny 250€ if something should go completely wrong with the tablet.
If that makes me a Fanboy, so be it.

Last edited by mosen; 2015-10-17 at 16:19. Reason: fighting the english language like a giant Octopuss

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
@VlaoMao, that is sooo cool!
Did you hack your own webcrawler script to accumulate the spreadsheet or did you find the backer.txt somewhere?
Nice Nice...

i am thinking of a db script to combine the two existing spreadsheets in one. Do i have permission to use your backer.txt?
We could at least see who from the community-created-list was the last one to recieve a tablet as of now!
I'm used raw data dumped by prometheus from blog of jolla and wrote simple perl script for extract data. Use it whatever you like.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund