Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Canuckde View Post
So far it appears that with the installation of mfefolders, the N900 can then have push email for specific folders. Is this really the case?
You can select which folders to synch, yes, and if synchronisation is set to "Always on" then this is effectively push email.

Here's some background:

I am regularly on-call for a network support center, and by on-call its because we don't have enough volume for a dedicated person in the office, nevertheless we have 4 hour fix SLAs for various customers. This means I NEED to be aware of emails, yet don't want to be woken by the various colleagues working late or Cisco newsletters in the early hours of the morning (I sleep little enough as is).

I currently use an E71 with Roadsync, because this lets me sychronise my emails in various folders with a very LOUD ringtone (when on my on-call profile) that will wake me instantly in the night. All my emails are sorted by on-server rules into various folders such that nothing should land in my inbox in the night.
That sounds similar to what I do - I only have the important folders set to synchronise, so I know any incoming emails need looking at.

Is this possible on the N900 at this point in time? I heard something about issues with notifications with mfefolders and wasn't sure what was meant.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, then yes, it's possible with the N900 currently. I've no idea what issues you've heard of with mfefolders though - I think there's a limitation where you need to have all parent folders synchronised for a child to be synchronised (or to show up in the email client anyway, so it may be a limitation in MfE/modest instead).

Wonderful, I don't remember where I read that, it was a bit confusing and I've been reading about a million different threads and sites.

Thanks for the clear statement. Customer ringtones for email are also possible? (should be), I need to have loud and long (duration) ringtones (and vary them) in order to be sure I actually wake up after a 26 hour day.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Customer ringtones for email are also possible? (should be), I need to have loud and long (duration) ringtones (and vary them) in order to be sure I actually wake up after a 26 hour day.
You can use any audio clip as the email alert tone, yes.

If you've not actually got an N900 yet, the important thing to check is that your company's Exchange server will work with non-provisionable devices - this is the main cause of issues with the N900s MfE implementation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You can use any audio clip as the email alert tone, yes.

If you've not actually got an N900 yet, the important thing to check is that your company's Exchange server will work with non-provisionable devices - this is the main cause of issues with the N900s MfE implementation.
Pretty sure it does, but I wrote the MIS guy to check. Generally our security policies are fairly loose when it deals with stuff like that.

Over the last two weeks I am finding that my N900 battery is discharging very quickly when I am not on a wifi connection. It appears that the N900 is continually using the HSPA connection as the 3.5G symbol is showing. I have tried closing all other applications, but the symbol remains on. If I change the MfE settings to manual sync then the symbol changes back to 3G. However if I manually sync then the 3.5G symbol stays on. It is as though the MfE is not "hanging" up when using the HSPA connection, but not having this problem on wifi.

Is there any option other than reflashing to resolve this problem?

Originally Posted by whats_up_skip View Post
Over the last two weeks I am finding that my N900 battery is discharging very quickly when I am not on a wifi connection. It appears that the N900 is continually using the HSPA connection as the 3.5G symbol is showing. I have tried closing all other applications, but the symbol remains on. If I change the MfE settings to manual sync then the symbol changes back to 3G. However if I manually sync then the 3.5G symbol stays on. It is as though the MfE is not "hanging" up when using the HSPA connection, but not having this problem on wifi.

Is there any option other than reflashing to resolve this problem?
Reflashing won't help. It is not a problem, actually, it is just the way it works: n900 is designed to keep persistent data connection, but, unfortunately, the real problem is HSPA does drain battery very quick. You may use "autodisconnect" program to work that around.
There is active connection indicator (looking at cellular data network icon is wrong place to find out if data connection is active, it just shows if one is _available_), it looks like two arrows in round shape for cellular networks.

Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
Reflashing won't help. It is not a problem, actually, it is just the way it works: n900 is designed to keep persistent data connection, but, unfortunately, the real problem is HSPA does drain battery very quick. You may use "autodisconnect" program to work that around.
There is active connection indicator (looking at cellular data network icon is wrong place to find out if data connection is active, it just shows if one is _available_), it looks like two arrows in round shape for cellular networks.
How come it has worked fine (ie disconnecting) for the last six months and now for the last couple of weeks it has stopped working?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by solariz View Post
It`s very strange. Everything works perfect on me instead of the Calendar sync. Contacts, task, email perfect but I receive not one event from within my calendar nor I can add events by sync to my mail account. *grmpf*
This also started happening to me when my company put me on Exchange 2010. I recently had my device RMA'd because of the female usb port falling out, and they replaced it. Starting from scratch I set everything up (just restored from backup) and everything works now.

You might try completely wiping your device and then restoring the state. No guarantees from me tho.

Originally Posted by natmaster View Post
This also started happening to me when my company put me on Exchange 2010. I recently had my device RMA'd because of the female usb port falling out, and they replaced it. Starting from scratch I set everything up (just restored from backup) and everything works now.

You might try completely wiping your device and then restoring the state. No guarantees from me tho.
I have a similar problem, sync works only backwards for calender and not at all for contacts. Email works fine.

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
How can i reinstall Mail for Exchange?
It use to work and perfectly, now it has lost my settings and will not go past the account setup stage. I have use the software updater twice though doesn't fix it. I can't find a download for it anywhere to reinstall it, help please.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!