Active Topics

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by switch2ux View Post
This was also a question from one of the people (developer?) at the conference and the answer was ... "FULL OFFICIAL SUPPORT for Meego on the N900" - I was there!!
What Nokia has said several times is that there will be full official support for developer-only versions of MeeGo on the N900 because the N900 is the official ARM development platform.

They have never promised, nor should anyone who actually read information provided in many places many times have ever expected, to provide a commercial - i.e. fully finished end-user-ready version of MeeGo for the N900.

Nokia has promised the N900 will not be forgotten and support will continue, though they have not specified just how long. They have kept that promise as the release of PR1.2 shows. And with the N900 just being released in more major markets such as India, no doubt support will continue for quite a while to come.

As I've said here several times, getting MeeGo is of no concern as far as the usefelness of the N900 is concerned. Qt 4.6 is what really matters.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Do you want MeeGo because it brings new apps or because it is new and shiny?
Because of the ofono stack which supposedly is in there, would be one "want" for me.

Nokia have serious business concerns related to the finite assets they have to maintain OS/app products across platforms.

If their new devices offer significantly different hardware, and usability features, then deciding to not officially support MeeGo (loathe the crappy name btw) on earlier devices is hardly unreasonable.

I'm not discouraged. Porting such things to alternate platforms has never been a problem for a determined open source community. If the most significant change is the capacitive/multitouch screen, I doubt it'll be too much of a problem - we can virtualize multitouch on the N900 and the underlying MeeGo OS will not know the difference.

Other hardware features...digital compass, perhaps...may simply have to be disabled and let those chips fall where they may, with respect to app behavior.

One way or another, if MeeGo is worth porting, it'll happen.

Originally Posted by range View Post
Because of the ofono stack which supposedly is in there, would be one "want" for me.

There's NOTHING stopping you from installing ofono on maemo!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by dagger View Post
There's NOTHING stopping you from installing ofono on maemo!
Well. Except the closed source phone stack which is already there?

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Hello,

i dont know if everybody is informed about a new (bad) news about the future of our n900...

Today i have read a german article that nokia will NOT support meego on the n900!

Here is the link
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...e-release-1-2/
-------------------------------------------------------
here is the important part of the text:
Moving away from the update and to look at MeeGo and the Nokia N900. Many of you have been asking whether the new MeeGo platform will be supported on the N900 once it’s device-ready. Although Nokia N900 devices are being used for platform development and testing purposes by those involved in the MeeGo project, Nokia doesn’t have plans for a full scale commercial MeeGo upgrade on the Nokia N900. The reason? It’s really about ensuring that you have the best possible experience designed for the features on your Nokia N900 device. Nokia realises this news may be a disappointment for some, rest assured that Nokia will continue to support the core Maemo software on your Nokia N900, as evidenced by the PR 1.2 (V10.2010.19-1) update available today.
-------------------------------------------------------

What the f*** is nokia doing with us. we have bought a very expensive device and now we can search for another device with support for meego??

I think that this is one of the most bad things nokia could do, becuase now a lot of people who are creating apps wont do it anymore if nokia always cant do what they said they will...

And this could be my last nokia phone either, the phones of htc (desire) are much better then anything nokia has created since now.

Nokia has -never- promised an official upgrade path to MeeGo. PR1.2 introduces Qt 4.6, which MeeGo's UI is based on, as a compatibility point between the two OSes.

There will likely be an unofficial developer and community supported release (I hope) of MeeGo on the N900, but time will tell how that pans out.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I dont have time to read all the previous posts. But i understand nokia cannot give us the commerical release but what about:

1 Adobe 10.1
2. Skype updates
3. Gtalk updates

Will we atleast get commercial backing for licensing these stuff for furture meego community releases?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
who wants to use the n900 in 1,5 years time when nokia is done with meego?

Hopefully you can test meego on n900 before and see if you really like it or not. chill

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
"Moving away from the update and to look at MeeGo and the Nokia N900. Many of you have been asking whether the new MeeGo platform will be supported on the N900 once it’s device-ready. Although Nokia N900 devices are being used for platform development and testing purposes by those involved in the MeeGo project, we don’t have plans for a full scale commercial MeeGo upgrade on the Nokia N900. The reason? It’s really about ensuring that you have the best possible experience designed for the features on your Nokia N900 device. Nokia realises this news may be a disappointment for some, rest assured that Nokia will continue to support the core Maemo software on your Nokia N900, as evidenced by the PR 1.2 (V10.2010.19-1) update available today."

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...e-release-1-2/

As an N810 owner I feel much closer to you N900 users today.

Welcome to the world of unsupported and officially dropped [read: forgotten and ignored by Nokia] legacy devices.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser