Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I guess without refund still?

Hope jolla Isnt involved in this...and that he is trying this scam on his own.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-04 at 18:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am getting really tired of this "but they are a startup" excuse. A startup cannot use an off-the-shelf component?

To be fair, before aegis' post, I also assumed that they used a non-standard connector to achieve water protection but once you know what to look for, you find hundreds of existing solutions. No need to reinvent the wheel.
(If this phone is vaporware, none of the following matters at all.)

I personally don't mind the idea of moving away from micro usb, not just for water resistance. (For me, water resistance isn't really in my top 10 priorities, but it wouldn't hurt.) Micro USB charging/syncing has as its primary advantage, IMO, its ubiquity, which was its purpose in the first place. It's far from ideal, though. I see the biggest pluses of Turing's connector choice to be the magnetic connection like Apple's. When I trip over my wife's macbook or iPhone power cable in the dark, it falls off, usually without drama. When I trip over my phone cable in the dark, it goes flying across the room, ports get bent a little, stuff sometimes breaks, heart rate soars. Plus, I find it way too easy to stupidly try cramming the plug in upside down and munging up both plug and jack a little in the process. (Looks like USB-C solves this issue, if I'm properly informed.)

The obvious disadvantage of going with a proprietary or less common connector of course is not being able to borrow a friend's charger or easily replacing a dead one in a hurry. Apple solves this by being huge. So many iPhones out there if you need a replacement it's no further than the impulse counter at the grocery store. That would not be the case with the Turingphone charger.

So if I were Turing, and I were marketing just to me, I'd emphasize those advantages above over the water resistance. But there may also be a reason I'm not in marketing. Maybe if I were I'd just look for a nice waterproof USB-C.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Dang it... I can no longer find it but isn't this basically the 3 year project originally named Quasar IV or something?

Edit: Found it... he promised that he'd give those backers back in 2013 or so two of these phones for their investments.
Interesting. Looks like Steve Chao is now SYL Chao. Fresh start? Or maybe he just decided to lose his "nerd name".

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
naming a device line after tragedy is like naming your boat "the unsinkable titanic 2
..I would never own a device called the "Turing"
Presumably that means you'd refuse the Turing Award if it was ever offered to you ...

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Maybe if I were I'd just look for a nice waterproof USB-C.
Quite. USB C or USB D, an off-the-shelf solution wins over a proprietary one, which looks like a feeble attempt at customer lock-in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Funny fact that you might miss: the Charging port, is ONLY for charging... NOT for data transfer! (Yes, you can't connect it to a pc!?)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Funny fact that you might miss: the Charging port, is ONLY for charging... NOT for data transfer! (Yes, you can't connect it to a pc!?)
only wireless for data transfer?

odd choice, my year old x99 / 5820k machine doesn't have bluetooth.
a phone just for laptop'pers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
and again, some will attack. But I honestly don't know when I used cable for anything else but charging.
But why so many pins on that one then?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
only wireless for data transfer?

odd choice, my year old x99 / 5820k machine doesn't have bluetooth.
a phone just for laptop'pers!
I never use Bluetooth. Never. As far as I am concerned, it is a wasted space on the chip die. I do nearly all my data transfer over SFTP. Even your old machine must support that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
and again, some will attack. But I honestly don't know when I used cable for anything else but charging.
But why so many pins on that one then?
I use it a lot with transferring photos and videos. Takes a LOT longer with wireless connection.

Edit: I'm also thinking... It means that we can't flash the device at all if something happens... since there is no data connection available on that port!?.....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone