Active Topics

I see. Gotcha. Very nice. Thanks!

Edit:

BTW, totally off topic but I found a review online and it has the N900 in it. :-)

http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/08/3...her-must-have/

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-09-19 at 05:58.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Well FCamera is working fine so far (Except 1-2 stucks) but I have a quality problem. There are hundred of "RGB" dots in the pictures which appear always at the same place, like dead pixels. Though the normal camera application is working fine without any "dirt" on the pictures.

Any idea how I can solve this issue?

Version: 0.61

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-09-19 at 06:36.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
Well FCamera is working fine so far (Except 1-2 stucks) but I have a quality problem. There are hundred of "RGB" dots in the pictures which appear always at the same place, like dead pixels. Though the normal camera application is working fine without any "dirt" on the pictures.

Any idea how I can solve this issue?

Version: 0.61
I'm guessing (!) that what's going on is that the normal camera app's built in noise reduction is simply cleaning that up for you, whereas FCAM isn't applying any NR to the photos (or at least very minimal if it is), resulting in the 'dirt' you describe.

A good NR filter like Neat Image or Topaz DeNoise will clean that up for you no problem and even allow you to profile the N900's noise pattern.. something I keep meaning to get around to doing

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
I'm guessing (!) that what's going on is that the normal camera app's built in noise reduction is simply cleaning that up for you, whereas FCAM isn't applying any NR to the photos (or at least very minimal if it is), resulting in the 'dirt' you describe.

A good NR filter like Neat Image or Topaz DeNoise will clean that up for you no problem and even allow you to profile the N900's noise pattern.. something I keep meaning to get around to doing
I see, well I was quite surprised how strong this "noise" is in dark areas.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
I see, well I was quite surprised how strong this "noise" is in dark areas.
Actually, it makes sense that it would be.

Deep shadows and other dark areas (low-light conditions in general) will show more digital noise than bright areas because the signal-to-noise ratio is so low.

Fewer photons (the signal) are striking the sensor under low-light conditions and so they are not able to saturate the photosites on the sensor sufficiently to overcome the noise inherent in the electronics.

The problem is compounded by the fact that in order to produce sufficient 'exposure' in low-light, you need to increase the ISO, which is basically just turning up the 'gain' on the sensor.. more gain, more noise.

(There's obviously a major simplification of what's going on, but in general that's why you see more noise in small sensor digital cameras, or in cameras with too many photosites/megapixels for their sensor size)

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post: