Active Topics

Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What are end users doing downloading random .debs off the internet? I don't know any end users who would choose to do that unless out of necessity and that necessity has decreased to almost zero over the past year or so. Random .debs are no longer the default for distributing software, sticking your stuff in Extras where it belongs is. This is really a red herring.
GA, I understand that a bit of control is necessary to miantain things n order and make sure that one doesn't break something else.

But even though extras is free, its still a Nokia channel some users might want the freedon to deliver something from a Non-Nokia channel (in fact there are quire a few nice apps for Diablo I installed from third party repos).

The same logic as you mention in the extreme is what is Apple (only in this case nothing is free).

Apple essentially says the same thing - all and everything iPhone related MUST be installed from the app store.

Its just a tie-down in some sense, dont you think, even though extras is open to developers and is free of cost unlike the app store (my conmparison is not a direct comparison, but more to put a point across) ?

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
The problem is that a lot of the deb files you will find on the internet are not designed to be compatible with Maemo and could even break it if installed forcibly. Maybe Maemo apps/packages should have a different extension than .deb. That way, users won't be tempted to install apps that were not specifically designed to work well with Maemo.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
The problem is that a lot of the deb files you will find on the internet are not designed to be compatible with Maemo and could even break it if installed forcibly. Maybe Maemo apps/packages should have a different extension than .deb. That way, users won't be tempted to install apps that were not specifically designed to work well with Maemo.
Oh of course if the user is that dumb and installs any .deb file then he will run into problems.

But any Maemo software is usually labeled as being made for Maemo so then the deb file is always OK.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
But even though extras is free, its still a Nokia channel some users might want the freedon to deliver something from a Non-Nokia channel (in fact there are quire a few nice apps for Diablo I installed from third party repos).
When, exactly, did maemo.org Extras become a Nokia channel?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Oh of course if the user is that dumb and installs any .deb file then he will run into problems.

But any Maemo software is usually labeled as being made for Maemo so then the deb file is always OK.
Maybe an app can be made available (but definitely not installed by default) that would allow installing local packages without the need for xterm. Users that avail themselves of that option would be on their own if what they install breaks their system, a clear warning should be provided in that regard from the app itself. That way, if they think they know what they are doing and just want a bit of convenience, they can have what they want. Any one looking for a good test app project?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Maybe an app can be made available (but definitely not installed by default) that would allow installing local packages without the need for xterm.
Hey, would you look at that!

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
just want to make something clear:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
For example: In Diablo, I can download a deb file, click on it from the stock filemanager, and it will install for me. In Fremantle, this is no longer the case. I have to drop into CLI to install a deb.

are you guys talking about single .deb files or about third-party repositories?
i was under the impression that adding a new catalogue in fremantle is trivial... in the SDK, there is a "catalogues" page with a "new" button (which is disabled, i attributed that to the SDK).

if it's only about single .deb files, i can understand it, but not allowing other catalogues to the end user by UI would be strange...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Note: I have no connection with the Android team, so I don't speak for them or for Google, but these are the conclusions I've drawn from their public talks and from common sense.
You don't have any connection with the Android team? Are you no longer working for the same employer?

Oh gnuite... You've gone to the Dark Side!

(still waiting for maemo 5 mapper)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Win for the Motorola Droid:
Some versions of the screen shots show a 4row keyboard with dedicated number row (almost as good as a 5 row keyboard!) ... the others show a more conventional 4 row keyboard (not as good, but still better than 3 rows).
D-pad (not on the face, but better than nothing).
24bit color.
3.7" screen ... still not 4.1" (the minimum acceptable), but better than 3.5".
The Android app ecosystem.
Rumors that it might be mifi-type capable.

Wins for the Nokia N900:
Full/real Linux environment (with command-line and everything).
32GB of user storage.
Graphics controller.
TV-out.
GSM/WCDMA instead of CDMA/EVDO.
USB Host and OTG
FM Radio transmitter.
Not on Verizon.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
johnkzin: You're just joking about the USB host/OTG thing, right? I didn't think it was possible to miss that long and ugly thread...

I actually understand Google's perspective here. They're making an OS designed to run on all sorts of hardware, so they need to fight a bit harder to keep their revenue stream flowing. AFAIK there are four (or five depending on how you count) devices that run Maemo, all made by Nokia. Piracy just isn't as much of a concern (yet) for Nokia.

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900