Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Guys, play nicely. Last warning.

Originally Posted by Parody View Post
you know, since tags are used to describe a threads content in a few words, technically an indescriptive or out of context tag is bogging down the system and has no reason to remain there.
They really don't bog down anything.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Simple, but not necessarily true. When I recently reported a post by Abil_uk that was clearly uncalled for (with zero provocation he referred to a user as a 'nobody') nothing was done. Of course, you weren't the moderator, but the wording of your post above omits 'if we happen to be in the mood' at the end.
It may not have been mood. It may have been disagreement. Hard to say without seeing specifics. Also, I was talking about tags.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is classic so classic i am going to print it frame it and hang it on the wall right beside me and by god you better remember this comment Texrat !.
That a threat?

Anyway, for the record, outside of you helping people with the broken usb port issue, I disagree with almost everything you post. So don't expect me to automatically jump when you cry foul.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-04-03 at 23:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nick.read View Post
Dude(tte) - the moderators can't police every single post which is why the software provides the "report post" link to bring things to their attention. I was basically giving you a warning that your post is against the rules, and rather than report it, I'd give you the chance to edit it. It seems like it may just be easier to click both "report user" and add you to my ignore list.
I see. Well, I'm aware that I went overboard and have said so; I apologize.

On that post, it is so far back now that it makes no sense whatsoever to revisit it, so I'll just leave it be; if you still want to report it, go ahead.

Also, while I strive not to become ignore material, I can't do a thing should you decide do to it.

Once again, I'm aware I went oveboard, but I so did in what I thought would be a way to contribute to the community.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Might as well face it the forum is FULL of weirdo's but that coincides with the world, what a boring place it would be if everyone was like nick.read lol.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
They really don't bog down anything.

It may not have been mood. It may have been disagreement. Hard to say without seeing specifics. Also, I was talking about tags.

That a threat?

Anyway, for the record, outside of you helping people with the broken usb port issue, I disagree with almost everything you post. So don't expect me to automatically jump when you cry foul.
I don't make threats Texrat but also i don't have to agree with everyone on this forum either!.

I found that "statement" you made funny and even though you dont like my comments i still consider you to be the most "human" moderator on this forum, even if we cannot see eye to eye, what is more important is that clear abuse be eradicated and that also includes people like ysss, geneven that creep from cambridge who just takes the biscuit and there followers out for brownie points.

Long standing members like ysss who frankly has never contributed anything whatsoever to this forum clearly get away with a lot of foul play and it makes me wonder why none of them even get a ticking off.

This is very much a help forum and does not need critisism but we get it and have to live with it.

Keep up the good work Texy i dont give a hoot you don't like my posts but sometimes you need a good mod on here and you get my vote anytime.

I think enough on this thread now, let us just leave it to the moderators to do there job, Texrat has made the point VERY clear and i have seen his work in action, he does his job well !!!.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Meanwhile, on the OTHER tags thread, the following post (not tag) appeared:

nuknuk

Today , 03:54 PM
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Report This | #71

leetnoob is gay

It has not been removed, it is AT LEAST off topic, and no moderator appears to have intervened.

Moral: to an extent that tags are related to some form of problem, moderators are unlikely to solve it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
It's not limiting freedom of speech because you're not supposed to express yourself through the tags anyway, they're there to make searching easier.
Oh, I'd not be insulted if they were removed. But as it stands, people are abusing them. And searching, I tend to use "keyword site:talk.maemo.org" via Google to find anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Meanwhile, on the OTHER tags thread, the following post (not tag) appeared:

nuknuk

Today , 03:54 PM
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Report This | #71

leetnoob is gay

It has not been removed, it is AT LEAST off topic, and no moderator appears to have intervened.

Moral: to an extent that tags are related to some form of problem, moderators are unlikely to solve it.
I don't see a thread tagged with that. Report it or link it. I'll remove it.

Simple.

EDIT: sorry, misread. I'll deal with it.

EDIT 2: I have no mod powers in that section. But, like anyone else, I can report an offensive post.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-04-04 at 01:43.

Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Just get rid of them. It's so spammed out, the tag cloud is wothless
Incorrect. Spam tags do not affect serious searches one way or the other.

And we've been over and over this. We're going to address offensive tags on a case by case basis, responding to Report This requests. That's the most effective way of getting action.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-04-04 at 01:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
tag abuse, tag system, tagging