Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
So I assume Qt plays no role in "future disruptions"? Guess its gonna be a pimped web-browser then. I don't understand those people, throwing away all their assets for something that doesn't sell.

God will not be merciful.

P.S. I think for Qt it will be best to gain independence from nokia. That's probably the reason qgil isn't soo unhappy about recent developments
history doesn't repeat itself, it stutters...
it amazing how slow NOKIA is to admit that Flop got fired or got the company he was CEO of acquired
he isn't a flop, he is failure

It is really interesting to see how words can be read in so many different ways.

As I read qgil words and as I look the latest developments, my understanding is quite opposite to some of the latest postings.

As I got it, qgil currently has no nokia stock, his job is gone or about to be, but he nevertheless is worried and working on finding options for maemo.org. Big thanks 4 that.

On the other hand, nokia never promissed open phones, but nonetheless these are about as open as mainstream devices go (until today).

And this openness was enough for several great things to be done.

I reckon that what is not in the open by now is covered by patents or other trade secrets and will not come into the open. So there will be things we would like to do but will not easily manage to.

I am one of those who love these devices, and therefore I do not like the way nokia has turned its strategy. But I prefer to think that this is not a one man's strategy, that the board and stockholders knew enough to decide what they did.

And as I see it, now they sound very worried about the way things are going.

One thing is certain though: nokia as we knew it is no longer here.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I pretty much know what danramos thinks, and I understand that Qqil cannot commit to a public statement that's not explicitly separate from his employer easily... but I'd love to hear an unofficial account of how these decisions emotionally affect him.

But as it stands, I'm impressed with his commitment to this forum, to Qt and to the developers. Even I have no bad words for him; nothing but the best wishes on all of his endeavors going forward.

Oh... and I know I'll never get that emotional account. That's fine...

i bought more stock. What is happening at Nokia was predictable and necessary. They are doing what is necessary to be competitive in this world.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I pretty much know what danramos thinks

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
i bought more stock. What is happening at Nokia was predictable and necessary. They are doing what is necessary to be competitive in this world.
You just said two conflicting things:

"What is happening at Nokia was predictable and necessary."
Yes. We ALL knew (those of us who've been here for most of the Maemo era) that they were hooking up with a losing nag in this race the moment Elop was hired... and then we all immediately knew that Nokia effectively sold its soul to Microsoft and committing suicide the moment we saw Balmer on stage with Elop and declared all things Nokia to ONLY be all things Microsoft.

"They are doing what is necessary to be competitive in this world."
Are we still talking about Nokia? The company that chose, as its dedicated platform, the most unsuccessful brand in mobile phone history?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

That remains to be seen. They needed to clean the house and it's being done, and to streamline their product line. Microsoft is plenty successful and if u used Lumia devices you would know that they are on the right track. Nokia could never out of the box perfect software.

Actually Elop was brought for that purpose. Maemo could not deliver, because Nokia could not optimize their own work and could not compete with the joneses. Whatever it was , it wasn't working.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
That remains to be seen. They needed to clean the house and it's being done, and to streamline their product line. Microsoft is plenty successful and if u used Lumia devices you would know that they are on the right track. Nokia could never out of the box perfect software.
It's BEING seen. :P Microsoft is plenty UNSUCCESSFUL (Windows Mobile/Phone, Zune, Bob.. heheh).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Lumiaman, in all seriousness, do you realise how many basic features the Lumia line is missing? No mass storage mode, no bluetooth transfer - you can't even use an mp3 as a ringtone (without a lot of hassle)
You're saying this is better than Symbian/Meego? No. The reality is that WP7 is a very immature platform. It needs to DEVELOP. So, it's nowhere near perfect. The fact Meego has a lot of these missing features suggests that Meego was the right OS to pursue

But whatever anyone says - you're not going to agree. Your opinion is your opinion... it's neither right nor wrong. But the fact Tomi Ahonen can BACK UP all his statements leads me to believe that what he is saying has a much higher degree of truth and realism than what you believe to be the case

So perhaps it would be a good idea for you to get some FACTS and FIGURES to show us why you think you're right (i can certainly provide the figures thanks to Tomi). Otherwise, your claims are baseless

Last edited by Dared; 2012-06-18 at 10:33.

Originally Posted by Dared View Post
do you realise how many basic features the Lumia line is missing? No mass storage mode, no bluetooth transfer - you can't even use an mp3 as a ringtone (without a lot of hassle)
Just playing devil's advocate, but none of the above seems to have stopped a certain fruity competitor ;-)

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen