Notices

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
FWIW, at FOSDEM I came across this talk about a routing engine that uses OSM, called GraphHopper: http://graphhopper.com/. Java though (IIRC)....

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm reading everything but don't really have time for a proper answer due to the upcoming DevConf conference in Brno (everybody is welcome! ).

I'll do a proper answer post once the conference is over.

PS.: It was really nice to finally see some of you face-to-face on FOSDEM last week!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I am really hoping routing/turn-by-turn navigation comes to the N9 soon. I keep getting frustrated with nokia maps on long trips where I can't use my N900 (broken USB port means I can't charge on-the-go).

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
PS.: It was really nice to finally see some of you face-to-face on FOSDEM last week!
Didn't know you were coming... we should meet next year then
I'll buy you a coffee or beer

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
I've gotten around to investigate my search problem a bit more, and the issue is not with my n900 but with the call to Google:

Code:
INFO:Running Thread: modRanaLocalSearchGoogle (1073862784)
local search query: supermarket loc:51.149360,4.162541
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/modrana/core/threads.py", line 286, in run
    self._conditionalCallback(self.target())
  File "/opt/modrana/core/providers.py", line 49, in <lambda>
    **kwargs
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 223, in wrapper
    return function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 190, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 202, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 141, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 164, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_onlineServices/online_providers.py", line 183, in search
    result = gMap.local_search(query, maxResults)
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/googlemaps/googlemaps.py", line 411, in local_search
    raise GoogleMapsError(status_code, url=url, response=response)
modules.googlemaps.googlemaps.GoogleMapsError: 403
INFO:Thread Done: modRanaLocalSearchGoogle (1073862784)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I guess including mapnik to the modRana package might not be a good idea. Imagine all those voices - "why don't my mapnik maps work...!? plzplzplzplz help"
Well, that would be a strictly internal Mapnik copy for modRana usage only. But sure, a proper package, preferrably from Extras-Devel/Extras would definitely be a preferred option.

What do you think about the methods I proposed?
1. use thumb toolchain (current approach), upload to non-free (and possibly require modrana to be built with 4.7.2) [if only that damn autobuilder allowed to build against cssu...]
2. use gcc 4.6 from extras and therefore possibly require to build modrana against gcc 4.6
3. Push it into my own repo
4. could be probably a temporary workaround, but still a workaround
Modrana could have a separate version then - with use of mapnik, and a plain extras-devel without mapnik
All of these would work for modRana without any need to change how the modRana package is currently distributed (package in Extras-Devel/Extras). ModRana is all pure-Python code and there are not even any C extension, so no code at all that would need to be compiled. As long as you have a working Python and Py/GTK, modRana will work.

The same thing with Mapnik - modRana can check if it is present before using it (checking if the binary is present or maybe just trying to import it and catching the error). If Mapnik is available, modRana will use (regardless of how it is compiled and where it comes from) it and if it is not, modRana will not use it and display an error message.

Still, regarding my personal preference, I would say 2 and 1 are the best, as the Mapnik package could be just declared a dependency and pulled in automatically without the need for user intervention (adding a separate repo). If 2 & 1 don't work, I would be willing to add the Mapnik binary to the modRana package (so basically nr. 4), provided it is not too big (modRana already does this with the Monav routing server binary). I could even add different binaries (thumb/non-thumb, etc.) and use them depending on current environment, but that would be quite a hack.

BTW, unfortunately haven't really got to proper Mapnik testing, but hopefully will get to that soon.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Just a quick heads up, MartinK :
According to thp, starting with the 1.0.3.8 update, Sailfish now includes Python 3.3.3 and the PyOtherSide plugin.
Thanks for info, already using the official package.

BTW, according to THP on IRC, while the needed packages are already present in the official repositories, PyOtherSide applications can't yet be submitted to the Jolla store, but it should be possible soon.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
I've gotten around to investigate my search problem a bit more, and the issue is not with my n900 but with the call to Google:

Code:
INFO:Running Thread: modRanaLocalSearchGoogle (1073862784)
local search query: supermarket loc:51.149360,4.162541
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/modrana/core/threads.py", line 286, in run
    self._conditionalCallback(self.target())
  File "/opt/modrana/core/providers.py", line 49, in <lambda>
    **kwargs
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 223, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 190, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 202, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 141, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/core/requirements.py", line 164, in wrapper
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_onlineServices/online_providers.py", line 183, in search
    result = gMap.local_search(query, maxResults)
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/googlemaps/googlemaps.py", line 411, in local_search
    raise GoogleMapsError(status_code, url=url, response=response)
modules.googlemaps.googlemaps.GoogleMapsError: 403
INFO:Thread Done: modRanaLocalSearchGoogle (1073862784)
Yeah, turns out Google nuked their perfectly fine local search API, that has been available for ages and replaced it by a new-and-shiny Places API, that might not support what the old one did or might bee too rate limited for proper use.

Will have to investigate and if the new API turns out to be usable, rework the local search code to work with it. At least before Google also nukes also nukes the new one.

Looks like also Wikipedia search was broken, but I've fixed that in Git.

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I am really hoping routing/turn-by-turn navigation comes to the N9 soon. I keep getting frustrated with nokia maps on long trips where I can't use my N900 (broken USB port means I can't charge on-the-go).
I'm currently working mostly on the Qt 5 GUI, while maintaining & improving the GTK GUI used on the N900. Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on the Qt 4 based GUI, that is currently being used on the N9...

But I plan to support offline routing with the Qt 5 GUI, so if it would be possible to use Qt 5 (at least 5.1, preferably 5.2) and Python 3 (for the PyOtherSide Python-Qt bindings), the Qt 5 GUI would run on the N9 and will get offline routing basically at the same time it will be supported on other platforms that use the Qt 5 modRana GUI.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Well, without the search modrana is pretty much useless for me, hope you can fix it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Testing packages for Sailfish OS available!
If you have a device running Sailfish OS, you can install a testing modRana package from this URL:

http://www.modrana.org/packages/sailfish/harbour-modrana-0.45.3-1.1.1.armv7hl.rpm

Alternatively you can also add the cutting-edge testing repository by following following the directions from the modRana wiki.

I also plan to soon publish modRana OpenRepos and eventually also to the Jolla store (once it is actually technically possible to meat the Jolla store guidelines).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Well, without the search modrana is pretty much useless for me, hope you can fix it...
Yeah, working local search is pretty important.

But online routing and address search should be still working. And once I update the Maemo package, Wikipedia search should also work again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Indeed, address search still works, must have been something else when it failed on me last time I checked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps