Active Topics

I tried out the N900 as well.

1. Did not notice vsync tearing, even though I used to want 85+ Hz CRT screens, minimum. Maybe I was lucky and didn't trigger it. The worst I did was load a large site in the background while panning the desktop.

2. Panning the desktop jerks a bit, but it doesn't look like a performance problem. More like it's swapping too aggressively and can't load the next screen fast enough. FPS seemed completely smooth.

3. Had some trouble with the touchscreen, probably because I like my 5800 so much. The 5800 screen is just so insensitive you can rest your finger on it and just so sensitive touching it with your nail triggers an action. The N900 was so sensitive I think my presses were registering in between my nail and thumb, which my fingers didn't expect. I guess more sensitivity is better, but I hope it doesn't strain my thumb more.

4. Mouse cursor needs optimization. I had trouble triggering it before I realized it only activated at the bottom of the left side, not the whole left side. Even then it was hit and miss at first, until I got used to it.

5. Was unable to use the scrollbar at least in the browser. This is bad. I don't want to kinetic scroll through meters of text and playlists, even though it's obviously better for gradual scrolling. I wonder if there's already a bug filed about this.

6. Demo people need more training. They didn't even remember how to activate the main menu or ask me if I want to preorder (already have).

7. Tried xterm. Don't care about fourth row of keys, but it REALLY badly needs another column of keys labeled / TAB -, so please, please fix this in the next devices. (Esc and | behind shift on the same keys too)

8. Seems pretty awesome overall, but you should ship a 5-10 line UI guide with it if you don't want idiots ranting about how much easier the iPhone is.

Edit: although really I shouldn't complain about the salespeople. In some other country they would've tried to forcibly sell me god knows what and I would've left the store after ten seconds of use. They were very professional and left me alone with the N900.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2009-09-03 at 17:43.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Thanks for the hands on experience report. It might be nice to have a Maemo members N900 hands on thread to collect and collate experiences from now (pre commercial shipments) to Christmas (too much noise already!). I have a feeling that the Nokia Maemo team might be looking here for feedback and inspiration

I will try to do my bit when I get my own N900 and with a bit of organisation we can collectively deliver feedback that has more validity and greater focus.

Any more N900 first experiences out there...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Espoo888 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
As GeneralAntilles points out in the thread qole links to, I'm not being sloppy with language here - and thought the difference between these two statements would be clear. Perhaps I should have made the first and the inverse of the second:
  1. Nokia does not support host mode.
  2. The N900 does not permit host mode.

The word "support" in the question was not the word the questioner was looking for - it's too vague and has too many meanings in IT.
Correction accepted. I have edited my post accordingly, including apologies for misconstruing your answer.

I still think that power supply in host mode is a serious question. The usbLAN app by jolouis should have given Maemo a chance to grow out of the toyshop and find a market replacing some of the laptops and notebooks that travellers haul in their hand baggage. Connection to hotel-room data ports is a requirement for that market. So is a full-size keyboard (which can go in checked baggage), and many business users avoid bluetooth for security reasons. USB sticks are absolutely standard tools these days. It is not always possible to schedule a full battery when these things are needed.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
especially now that the thing comes with video out.

i am not familiar with hotel policy in regards to tv's in rooms, and connecting a video source.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
The usbLAN app by jolouis should have given Maemo a chance to grow out of the toyshop and find a market replacing some of the laptops and notebooks that travellers haul in their hand baggage.
You really think the vast majority of business users are going to be able to move to Linux, let alone a 3.5" screen for their travel use. . . .

Connection to hotel-room data ports is a requirement for that market.
Travel router.

So is a full-size keyboard (which can go in checked baggage)
Bluetooth.

and many business users avoid bluetooth for security reasons.
None that I know.

USB sticks are absolutely standard tools these days.
Perhaps in certain markets, but definitely not in the mobile computer niche Nokia has created. Your definition of business users seems to be a bit distanced from the reality.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
TV out is "PAL and NTSC".

Does this mean it can give either, or will we have different models in different markets?

World travellers are every sensitive to these things.
If you go into 'TV out' Settings, you get to choose either PAL or NTSC.

So, I'd say you get both.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaemoGuy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Will a user be able to browse the internet while in a call on speaker phone or with a BT headset using only the N900's cellular connection (no WiFi)? ... BTW, is there even a dang speaker phone?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by chilko View Post
i also want to know that. does it have mms?
Not that I can see.

When you open up Conversation aplet, which handles both IM chat and SMS, there's no option for MMS.

Also, in both IM and SMS sessions, I can't find a way to add an attachment either. so it looks like it can handle purely text messages on IM and SMS.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Will a user be able to browse the internet while in a call on speaker phone or with a BT headset using only the N900's cellular connection (no WiFi)?
I'd assume so, as I can do this without issue on my 5800.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaemoGuy View Post
If you go into 'TV out' Settings, you get to choose either PAL or NTSC.

So, I'd say you get both.
You definitely get both with a N95 (I've plugged mine into hotel room tv's all over the world)...so I can't see how the N900 would be any different.