Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
Can qwerty12's rant be morphed into a polite statement by the Community Council and handled to Nokia to respond?
WTF should we when at least one of the Council members is personally attacked in there, and we're accused of being Nokia apologists?

Or am I dreaming? Are the Community Council members really Nokia apologists?
Anyone, apart from silvermountain, can read his trolling thread and see concrete places we add value. If you still believe we're Nokia apologists then you aren't paying attention.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
any chance anyone could clean this deb up and put it in the repos?? thanks

I would if I knew how but I dont !!

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
any chance anyone could clean this deb up and put it in the repos?? thanks

I would if I knew how but I dont !!
I'm afraid that's not allowed. Copyright of this package states:
Code:
This program is written and maintained by:

Faheem Pervez <trippin1@gmail.com>

Copyright:

Copyright (C) 2010 Faheem Pervez <trippin1@gmail.com>. All rights reserved.

License:

This package is NOT free software; you may not modify any binaries contained within.
    There is no warranty for the program provided and the author does not accept any
    liability for any damages that may occur to you, this device or your equipment.

The Debian packaging is:

Copyright (C) 2010 Faheem Pervez <trippin1@gmail.com>

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so only the creator can put it in the repos?

not so worried about the cleaning part...

sorry to hear about your troubles with the community and nokia qwerty

i just wanted to say thanks for this app, i had an android device and with as many apps available on the market, there was nothing like...well there was but it crashed a hell of a lot or became unresponsive

anyway, thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to silvacrest For This Useful Post:
Has anyone noticed that the system sounds get disabled when you use this app to pause the music player when locked?

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Another bug: now even with Media Player isn't running the cam key acts as the Play/Pause key. Can't count the times my phone's started playing music after accidentally pressing the cam key.

Maybe screw his software disclaimer and fix these few irritating bugs? Or is it actually possible to close (for eg. password protect) code to disallow alterations? Total coding noob (below noob tbh) tossing these questions out here.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Believe it or not, I hadn't seen this thread till today. Thanks to the person on Twitter who posted a link to it.

I basically agree with the rant, though it is stated a bit strongly.

To those offended by the attack on the members of the community, I would point out that companies like Nokia often do their dirty work by using the best members of the community to help out. This site is no exception.

To me, Nokia's basic strategy is to cool things out and keep things as quiet as possible while pretending to be nice and slowly transition the N900 into the toilet so it can get on with its future projects.

To that end, it has encouraged projects like Brainstorm and did encourage things like Mer. They have the function of wasting time and seeming cool, until the victim, too late, notices that they don't accomplish anything significant. Some members of the Council who I respect greatly sometimes seem dedicated to long discussion, consensus-seeking, and amazingly little action. To me, this serves Nokia's ends, not those of this community.

To those who ask what the Council should do -- for starters, it should be more confrontational and strident, in the light of what is happening.

I helped hire many people for Quarterdeck, which was a major corporation for a long time, eventually purchased by Symantec. I wouldn't hesitate to hire many people participating in this thread, including qwerty12.

I can think of many people who insult others in practically every posting. qwerty12 was not one of them. He did let loose on this posting, but he was justifiably angry. One little angry posting and I can see that several are willing to throw him out the window. Not me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
jeez, Quarterdeck ... now THAT takes me back, I dimly remember back in about 1988 running desqview on a 386 to run 4 windowed instances of my bespoke Pascal serial comm's app concurrently for a while (before I rewrote it in ASM to handle all the ports concurrently within my own app). Ah, those were the days ... NOT :-)

Mind you that wee comms program, little though I knew it at the time, ended up being the foundation of my whole career thereafter. I just retired last year, aged 46, after being a pretty successful design/consultancy 'one man band' business all those years, so thank you Geneven for your unwitting assistance!

sorry for the (wildly) OT, just had to be said :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Last edited by Pigro; 2010-09-06 at 14:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Dudes, anyone have anything to say about fixing the bugs?

An allmighty wizard from the Oz said to me:
"You can intercept the dbus call for shutter press, kill the media-control daemon and re-issue the shutter press call" (Thanks, SimonLR)

Does this make sense to anyone? This is a responce to me asking how the bug I mentioned 2 posts ago could be fixed.

Tags
childish, fa[n]bo[j]s, icanhazapp?, ranting, reality, ridiculous, strong language, teen_angst, warning