Active Topics

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
well those are just some apps and drivers, maybe som libs, not the OS, right?
How about those packages that seem to fall under GPL and don't provide sources?
Can someone (like the FSF) sue them to get them?
They are clearly in a license violation...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
How about those packages that seem to fall under GPL and don't provide sources?
Can someone (like the FSF) sue them to get them?
They are clearly in a license violation...
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html
It has everything you need. Basically FSF has lawyers. You could pay for your own layers and sue the company distributing it under a violated gpl yourself, but it'd be easier to just have stallman sue them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambomedic For This Useful Post:
I have two. One with SIM card - my primary and only phone. The other just a mini Internet tablet, which I used for reading ebooks and listening to music etc.

Sure, N900 has plenty of rough edges, but I'll do my best to keep these babies working as long as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Yup - still using my first, operator-supplied N900, which has been my only mobile phone for two and a half years and my only phone full stop for two years (my landline is now routed via SIP).

Admittedly, it's had a preventative USB port fix, a new battery every year, a new stylus and a new set of wired headphones, but the phone itself is still going strong. I have a second one in the drawer which, so far has seen little use, but with SIM-only tariffs getting cheaper and including respectable amounts of mobile data, I'm tempted to put both of them online and carry it as a live backup.

I have yet to upgrade to a 64GB memory card and a decent set of Bluetooth stereo headphones, which would see it get considerably more use as a music player, and am eyeing the notion of a 4G wireless dongle sooner or later. I have to admit that the current generation of 4G mobile hardware is beginning to look tempting, but I had a play with a Galaxy Note II recently and, whilst I like the handwriting recognition and I could cope with it for web browsing, I still don't like Android as compared with Maemo or indeed anything Linux-based. Show me a quad-core, 4G, HD phone that runs Linux and maybe I'll jump ship, but for the next year or two (or five) I'm sticking with the N900. In general, it works pretty well.

The Following User Says Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm using the n900 for two years. Sometimes I want to smash it to the wall because it's so slow, but the rest of it is perfect(of course only when the repos work, what isn't the case). I can do everything with it what I want to and I like that people still create apps for it, so I can do even more.

A possible alternative would be a smartphone from Jolla, but I will use my n900 for a few years before getting a new smartphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
In my country, Mexico, the N900 is considered a old, bulky, useless "smartphone" and, it´s extremely rare see another, live...
My life was changing with this NIT, now, i see another devices, and think: HA! Your Xperia Don´t Aircrack-ng...
BUT, i know if i break something in my NIT, may be difficult get parts for it...

The Following User Says Thank You to Custard! SandS For This Useful Post:
Still my main and only phone (since early 2010).
Everything working on it (never had any problem). Flashed, played around, dropped... The perfect phone.

The only thing that is a bit behind is the battery now. I think I will consider changing it (even if sitting idle my phone can still be up for 5 days +).

The Following User Says Thank You to Luigi Brosse For This Useful Post:
Still using mine as my primary and only phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to adosanjh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Luigi Brosse View Post
The only thing that is a bit behind is the battery now.
They don't last forever, I am happy with my Polarcell.

See below.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65568

Li-ion batteries are said to lose about 25% capacity per year, worst case.
The lower the temperature and closer to 50% charge they are kept at the less capacity is lost p/a.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Jordan
I still use it as my primary phone and WoW it's great.

The Following User Says Thank You to essamfayez For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900