Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I didn't mean to imply anything by mentioning the swap issue. You have really given the community so much. These tools are awesome just like they are. I know I can speak for myself and so many others here when I say....THANK YOU

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by RavMan View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I didn't mean to imply anything by mentioning the swap issue. You have really given the community so much. These tools are awesome just like they are. I know I can speak for myself and so many others here when I say....THANK YOU
I am sorry, I was also not meaning to imply anything. I've just been busy, thats all. I always appreciate hearing about problems, thats how they get fixed. I just want to let everyone know I am not AWOL, just been busy.

Thanks,

pb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-02-15 at 15:50.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I have been wondering what is the point of the fat partition (256mb) since I have an external fat 1gb microsd card. In any case I decided to remove it for more space on my clone system. So now I just have mmcblk0p2 etx3 and mmcblk0p3 swap. I rebooted and all still work from what I can see.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Its not setup, run pb

pb > Swap > Select the partition you want to enable swap for > It should then ask you to choose a swap partition from available swap partitions. > It will then show the contents of /etc/fstab, click OK and it should say swap assignment successful.

Then if you reboot you should have swap mounted on boot.

You can verify this by running "free" from xterm

You should see some numbers where in the line that says Swap:
pb enable swap does not work on cloned boot, work on flash though. So I am assuming that enabling swap should have been done before cloning. I think when I cloned to sd I forgot to enable swap then I've been trying to figure it out on the cloned partition which doesn't work. At this point I am not really feeling a recloned, I kinda like what I have, and besides I don't have a big enough microsd yet to try a backup. If someone else don't mind doing it and see if it works would be good.

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
pb enable swap does not work on cloned boot, work on flash though. So I am assuming that enabling swap should have been done before cloning. I think when I cloned to sd I forgot to enable swap then I've been trying to figure it out on the cloned partition which doesn't work. At this point I am not really feeling a recloned, I kinda like what I have, and besides I don't have a big enough microsd yet to try a backup. If someone else don't mind doing it and see if it works would be good.
So if you boot to Flash and set the swap for the external SD Boot it does not work? Its probably best to run all operations against boot from SD partition while booted to flash.

As far as the FAT partition. Maemo expects a FAT partition to be there, so I always put one. If you connect to an USB it could cause you problems. I always keep it. Also application manager uses it and other things. For compatibility sake and to save from troubleshooting, I would keep a small partition, 16-32MB minimum. Its your choice though.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
So if you boot to Flash and set the swap for the external SD Boot it does not work? Its probably best to run all operations against boot from SD partition while booted to flash.

As far as the FAT partition. Maemo expects a FAT partition to be there, so I always put one. If you connect to an USB it could cause you problems. I always keep it. Also application manager uses it and other things. For compatibility sake and to save from troubleshooting, I would keep a small partition, 16-32MB minimum. Its your choice though.
Yes, I use pb to enable swap on flash boot and it works fine. I use pb to enable swap on SD boot but, doesn't work. On SD boot pb report to have enabling swap successfully when initiated but, in fact did not. I instead used mkswap and swapon on SD boot at start up to enable swap.

As far as the FAT partition goes, I can see my external card when connected to usb to PC. I can view, copy and transfer files to it so I think I am good with that.

Last edited by FRZ; 2009-02-16 at 20:51.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
How would I go about cloning a current SD Boot to a new SD Card?

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Hi PB
I am using 2008 - 47 on an 800 and ran pb it scans for partitions and esc's out I then run pbeasy and it gives me the menu for parted. I have an internal 4Gb and an external 4 Gb I chose to part the internal with a 1Gb fat32 , a 256 swap and the remainder for ext3. It says it has created the partitions and reboots, just before this it comes up with something about invalid 256mb (swap I presume, too fast to see) when my pad reboots it says the internal card is corrupted or invalid. Is this the normal state of affairs should I move on to clone will this format all three parts as it doesn't seem to happen with parted?

Looking forward to getting this working as i want to put a webserver on the pad and the actual system 256mb memory doesnt seem to be big enough with other apps installed. (68mb left)

cheers and thanks for what has made a confusing job easy (I tried the boot from flash tute on the maemo wiki and got lost just getting su to work)

jimbarnes

Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
How would I go about cloning a current SD Boot to a new SD Card?
Install console tools and run pb, you can clone between SD cards

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jimbarnes View Post
Hi PB
I am using 2008 - 47 on an 800 and ran pb it scans for partitions and esc's out I then run pbeasy and it gives me the menu for parted. I have an internal 4Gb and an external 4 Gb I chose to part the internal with a 1Gb fat32 , a 256 swap and the remainder for ext3. It says it has created the partitions and reboots, just before this it comes up with something about invalid 256mb (swap I presume, too fast to see) when my pad reboots it says the internal card is corrupted or invalid. Is this the normal state of affairs should I move on to clone will this format all three parts as it doesn't seem to happen with parted?

Looking forward to getting this working as i want to put a webserver on the pad and the actual system 256mb memory doesnt seem to be big enough with other apps installed. (68mb left)

cheers and thanks for what has made a confusing job easy (I tried the boot from flash tute on the maemo wiki and got lost just getting su to work)

jimbarnes

Yes when you run pbeasy and partition, it will wipe the card and reboot. The card is partitioned but not formatted. When you run the cloning process it will format the FAT/SWAP/EXT partitions, thus making them usable.

pb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools