Active Topics

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post

24. Kick stand.

The kick stand can be used to watch videos especially on the plane. It is a minor addition but is huge in usability.

25. Open source operating system.

Off all the features the apple iphone will never be able to beat this one. Most of the applications are free to download and use. Anyone can work on anything and submit their application. There are no restrictions of any kind.
26. Languages

N900:
British English, American English, Canadian French, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Russian

iPhone:
English (U.S.), English (UK), French (France), French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German, Traditional Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin), Simplified Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin), Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (QWERTY), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Estonian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Latvian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, and Croatian

So the N900 can only be used by people who don't have to write in non-European/American languages ...

The Following User Says Thank You to shusai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by shusai View Post
26. Languages

N900:
British English, American English, Canadian French, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, Russian

iPhone:
English (U.S.), English (UK), French (France), French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German, Traditional Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin), Simplified Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin), Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (QWERTY), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Estonian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Latvian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, and Croatian

So the N900 can only be used by people who don't have to write in non-European/American languages ...
Now, I don't know much about how hard it would be to switch the locale on Maemo, but shouldn't it be pretty straight-forward to add language support as its open source?

EDIT: Non-latin languages would obviously be hard to type out with the QWERTY, but you get the stylus and the touchscreen for "icon" based languages...

Last edited by frals; 2009-09-09 at 16:33.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Heheh, so now there's a new 64GB iPod Touch. Finally enough flash to store my music collection. Same or better for the N900 please Nokia.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, they will call the factory right away, dump all the hardware and redesign it again to have 64GB storage. And that in under a month.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Heheh, so now there's a new 64GB iPod Touch. Finally enough flash to store my music collection. Same or better for the N900 please Nokia.
The n900 already supports 32gb + 16 gb micro sd. If you buy another micro sd... u get 64 gb and so on.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@sachin: by that logic, the n900 comes with a 10,000mah battery**

** = optional 8 packs of spare batteries are sold separately.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

And I think that's a valid statement since nokia had the good sense to make both the battery and the flash card (one of them, anyway) removable and apple did not. Therefore...due to that competitive design advantage...yeah, you could say that

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

But the advantage for me of removable memory is that i dont need to carry the stupid proprietary cable with you. Just pop out the card insert it into the computer and you can exchange data. So i always prefer removable memory.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@sachin007: well it has wifi and bluetooth and there are ways to leverage those effectively.

Ok, this has been talked about in a different thread. Let's not go back there.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Heheh, so now there's a new 64GB iPod Touch ... Same or better for the N900 please Nokia.
Heck, even my old N800 could do 64GB via 2 x 32GB SDHC.

The N900 has a Micro-SDHC slot, and 32GB micro-SDHC cards are coming "real soon now", so you'll have 64GB within the life of your N900 (when you add that to the 32GB built-in).

Roger.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war