Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I've tried to skim through the many posts of these threads looking for problems of user friendliness of talk.maemo.org would rely.

Am I missing something or single sign-on is the only measurable problem beyond human psychology reported here?

If so, there two tasks committed to the maemo.org October sprint:

9.10-03 Implement SSO backend Must indeyets 0%
9.09-10 Implement SSO sync-API endpoint for garage Could danielwilms 0%

No talk.maemo.org login integration in this sprint. If you want to help on this then you can offer your hand directly to the people in the works, or at least you can help creating/improving/promoting a wiki page explaining the status of logins in maemo.org that could be e.g. http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_sign-on

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
It has been a couple days since I set up my MO account. I believe I linked appropriately to my TMO account, but my karma is still showing as 0.

Is my karma reallly zero? Or is there some other problem?

Under "talk.maemo.org account url", I put:
http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=XXXXX

Is that correct?

I guess that SSO will eliminate the need for things like this, which will help a lot.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I've tried to skim through the many posts of these threads looking for problems of user friendliness of talk.maemo.org would rely.

Am I missing something or single sign-on is the only measurable problem beyond human psychology reported here
Besides SSO, maybe a better labelling system and categorization of the forum topics, and maybe once some sort of fix or answer is devised, maybe posting it in a separate locked thread as a guide to avoid having to read through 50+ pages of posts looking for an answer.

Honestly, things are already moving in the right direction, and only need time to figure out. It gets better the more acclimated we all become, and the more friendly we act as guides. Human touch is well known to overcome technical difficulties.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Is that correct?
Not if you really put, "XXXXX." It needs your Talk user ID.

Tim

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
It has been a couple days since I set up my MO account. I believe I linked appropriately to my TMO account, but my karma is still showing as 0.

Is my karma reallly zero? Or is there some other problem?

Under "talk.maemo.org account url", I put:
http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=XXXXX

Is that correct?

I guess that SSO will eliminate the need for things like this, which will help a lot.
It resolved itself apparently -- unless some admin did something and didn't tell me. I didn't change anything and it suddenly updated today, so I know my karma finally. (Now I'm not sure what good it does me to know my karma, but when I didn't know it, it seemed important to know...)

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
LOL.

The site needs a progress bar that counts down in days instead of seconds. (Just don't implement one like microsoft -- it would jump from "almost done" to 4305978 days left, at random.)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-10-19 at 20:56. Reason: wtf did I write???

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Am I missing something or single sign-on is the only measurable problem beyond human psychology reported here?
Well, I put forth the issue of bumping & topic starter/first post quality before. Quoting myself:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If you are going with the bumping-is-OK approach you should also give the TS (topicstarter) certain responsibilities. The first post is very important, and if it is bad (e.g. speculative) this yields a bad thread without allowing to create another one.

The TS should also not be able to remove his post thereby deleting the whole thread. Instead in the case TS wants FP (first post) to be removed she should contact a moderator who can then transfer relevant information into whatever becomes then the FP.

Because you are going to reuse a thread, the FP should be updateable by moderators reflecting the current state of affairs. Many people will not read the whole thread, instead only reading the first few posts. If the FP is a summary of the whole thread this improves forum quality by huge leaps. However, this also requires good moderators; both pragmatic and aiming for informative, as well as putting time and effort in summarizing. Compare it to a post containing a howto. You'd update that too as soon as there is updates for it.
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
While you want a lot of high quality posts a person who starts a topic should write their post very well. Research has shown people only read the first few posts in a result (e.g. on Google search engine). Hardly anyone reads more than the first page, and most people only look at the first results. The first post (and the first replies to the first post) are therefore read very often compared to the other replies.

How can the first post be written well? In order to improve the quality of the forum this is something which has to be discussed and outlined. Here are my suggestions:

First of all, on the Apps forum the first post could contain a description what the program is, what it does, whether it is available for the NIT (official or by Nokia). An example where this goes wrong is the Rapier thread. I cannot know what this thread is about by reading the first posts. The topic starter didn't put any time or energy in a descriptive post.

Second, in the case of long threads, the first post can be updated every now and then to contain a summary. This requires updates from the topic starter (and/or a moderator). An example where this is useful is the Data Plan post.

Because you're going to differentiate between technical inclined users and beginners it might now be possible to start with some guidelines and regulations like this provided they're well thought out before implemented. Some other ideas were also outlined in the Internet Tablet Scene thread. Addendum: post explains how GoT (Gathering of Tweakers) deals with bitrot, FAQ, topic starter/first post

Here are 2 offsite examples of how a first post can be made (in Dutch though although the bigger picture is probably still understandable):

Topic about N82 (very good first post)
Topic about LG KB620 (ok first post; user copy/pasted, but at least provided some information & picture)

Cheers,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Worth considering. My experience is that this first point is what has put Ubuntu on top.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...more-human.ars

1. The Ubuntu Code of Conduct

The Ubuntu Linux distribution is named after an African philosophical principle which holds that the betterment of the individual and community are interconnected. This philosophy is at the core of Ubuntu development and is formalized in the Ubuntu code of conduct, a simple set of rules that Ubuntu members commit to follow. Although the contents of the code of conduct are well within the boundaries of common sense, having a codified standard encourages respectful and considerate collaboration, making Ubuntu more inclusive and welcoming to new contributors.

The code of conduct was recently updated to boost its clarity and expressiveness. Benjamin Mako Hill, one of the original authors of the code, wrote about its conception in a blog entry today.

"On my first day working for the company that would become Canonical, I talked with Mark Shuttleworth about some ideas for community governance. Partially in reaction to some harsh behavior in other free software projects we'd worked on, Mark and I agreed that some sort of explicit standard for behavior in Ubuntu would be a good thing. Over lunch of what was my literally first day working on Ubuntu, I wrote a draft of code of conduct that was essentially the version that Ubuntu has used until today," he wrote. "The code has become a sort of constitution of our community and a widely enforced standard. People treat the code as a reflection of what 'Ubuntu'—both the concept and our project—stands for."

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
No talk.maemo.org login integration in this sprint. If you want to help on this then you can offer your hand directly to the people in the works, or at least you can help creating/improving/promoting a wiki page explaining the status of logins in maemo.org that could be e.g. http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_sign-on
I'm just waiting for something concrete so I can link talk.maemo.org to any existing/being worked on solution. The last thing I did was to add talk's member database structure on this page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_si...stored_in_ldap

I have not heard of any updates.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
So many questions about Single Sign-On here and there...

Task:Single sign-on for maemo.org
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28800

danielwilms is the one in charge knowing everything. You and anybody else wondering: pull his tongue please.

Tags
user v. friendliness war, welcome all visitors