Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
What edge don't you tolerate? (honest question)
To be honest i didnt expect there to be as many bugs coming out. the phone itself i still cant wait to get but i figure i will wait for the firmware update. there is nothing in particular that worries me just the number

my flat mate has the n97 and that was just terrible. it has made me question the n900. although its a different OS and it has lots of community support its is still a Nokia which means it is going to follow a similar test cycle and processes etc etc etc i was am hoping the same mistakes will not be made so i will wait and find out.

also i do like lots of phone functionality and was willing to give this up for a mini computer. im not willing to give it up for a buggy mini computer. i know its a new OS so there will be bugs, i guess its my fault in having got worked up about the phone and my expectations may have been too high but i havent given up

If Nokia can iron out the bugs ASAP and maybe bring a few wanted features to the table, then I think we should all be satisfied.. honestly!

The Following User Says Thank You to Untouchab1e For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
Would people settle for a compromise:

The N900 is not a consumer-level smartphone, and Nokia did announce it truthfully. But late PR and salespeople pitches have muddied the issue and Nokia needs to be more clear about it. Also, the N900 has some bugs to be ironed out. And Nokia needs to come out with that consumer-level smartphone, step 5 of 5, pronto.

How about that?
People have been trying to say this for a long time... I dont think you will convince the haters/fanboys otherwise

But nice try dude...

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Ironically, even though I can agree based on posts here that the N900 has bugs, none have crossed me yet.

It actually has worked pretty much perfect for the whole, what, two weeks I've had it now.

Knock on wood definitely.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Ok so with that being said, is it your opinion that blue tooth or other phone functionality found in the device should not be working or basic phone features flat out missing?
If basic phone functionality was not working, I would have returned the device last Friday. My N900 is in part replacing my work phone, it [b]HAS[b] to work because at time I go oncall. Bluetooth headsets, AD2P streaming, SMS and voice calls work well enough for me.

And since you asked indirectly I'll mention those annoying behavious I mentioned. First is the FM transmitter being kicked off when a bluetooth headset connects to the N900. (specifically it's the hands free feature of my car's stero system). Knowing how the sound subsyste works in Maemo, I understand why but I'm not happy with it. I think it should only diable the FM xmitter is a headphone bluetooth device connects. We really need a sound mixer so an advanced user has control over how sound is mixed on the N900 (and other Maemo hardware).

A missing phone feature, the big one for me is voice dialing. That's the one I really miss. I had vowed my next phone would have it since Palm decided not to add it into their Treos. But I went and bought the N900 anyway.

Other missing features I'd like to see user definable profiles that extend well into the other apps. (For instance disable Email app's auto updating at night. And enable it during the day. An other example is disable/enable each account individually for each profile.) That's all I got off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I don't have the phone yet so forgive me if i'm wrong.. I've only been messing with the sdk.

But can I filter call logs yet? Ca ni see ONLY missed or received calls...

That is a basic phone feature....

Is it there?
the N900 is too sophisticated for that type of functionality

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by Untouchab1e View Post
If Nokia can iron out the bugs ASAP and maybe bring a few wanted features to the table, then I think we should all be satisfied.. honestly!
Btw, any idea/rumor which features/squashed bugs will be in the 1.1?

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
People have been trying to say this for a long time... I dont think you will convince the haters/fanboys otherwise

But nice try dude...
I think part of the problem is that because of the confusion, not created just by Nokia but media and market too, it is not the same people making the flammatory statements. So even if a few "get" it, more will pour in not getting it.

Clearly a risky move, the 4 out of 5. I agree that some damage probably is being done to Nokia, not only to maemo.org slash N900.

This was written by a blog earlier this year:

This reception of Nokia N900, contrasts very sharply with the attitude displayed toward the device by every Nokia exec who was talking about it.

You would think that, having made such a superb device, they would be preaching from every corner and pulpit to make sure we notice.

Instead, Anssi Vanjoki has spent a whopping 3 minutes at the end of 62 minute opening keynote (including OPK presentation), talking about N900. Half of that time was spent talking about the beginnings of Maemo platform, Nokia 770 internet tablet, and how this is just step 4 in five step program (read: somewhat unfinished product)!

And it went downhill from there.

In the follow up interviews we heard how this is just a niche product, how they see an open channel (non-subsidized, non-operator) as the main for N900 sales, that Nokia won’t really push N900 to operators, how it is important to sell N900 to the right people (read: limited sales and promotion), etc; etc;

The impression I get from all of this is of, if not an outright dismissal of N900 as a flagship for Nokia, then extreme cautiousness, expectations management and downplaying the potential attractiveness of the device.

And I wonder why that is.
Read the rest here:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/09/0...900-really-is/

Yeah, I don't wonder why that is.

I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. Beside portrait mode only available in Phone? Well we already know that and portrait will be available system wide through firmware updates.

If you blame the software and device, then we're all on the same boat.

Therefore it's user's fault, not knowing how to use the device properly.

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen