/etc/X11/Xsession.d/34cherry
that thing tries it sneaky stuff only, when there's no file
/home/user/.cherry_state

thus, one could either create that file

touch /home/user/.cherry_state

or disable/remove the script
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/34cherry
Originally Posted by gwj View Post
I have booted the phone with a prepaid simcard with a negative balance, the .cherry_state file has been created. Then I have put in my regular simcard and an sms has been sent to Nokia. So I think it will not work.
Just to be clear about this, does anyone know if creating (e.g. using "touch" as arne.anka suggests) the /home/user/.cherry_state file will or will not be sufficient to stop the SMS being sent, as gwj suggests that the presence of that file did not stop the SMS being sent in his case?

don't know, what gwj did (maybe inserting a sim at all was wrong), but i never saw anything of that sms and my provider does not list any sms sent to an unknown number.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Can someone point me as to how I can download the cherry package? I've found http://maemo.org/packages/view/cherry/ and the links off it, but can't seem to actually download it from there.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Can someone point me as to how I can download the cherry package? I've found http://maemo.org/packages/view/cherry/ and the links off it, but can't seem to actually download it from there.
It's closed source (as usual), only to be found in the SSU repositories. One way of getting it would be reinstalling it (apt-get install --reinstall cherry) and taking the deb from /var/cache/apt/archives afterwards.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Ulvila, Finland
Is this messaging anything like operator sending me few SMS messages when I upgrade or return to factory settings on any phone.. usually a welcome message and some settings for my phone.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
apt-get install --reinstall cherry
with standard apt,
apt-get -d install cherry
would only download it to /var/cache/apt/archives

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
with standard apt,
apt-get -d install cherry
would only download it to /var/cache/apt/archives
"install" on its own refuses to do anything here because cherry is already installed and when I do specify "-d" with "--reinstall", it still reinstalls it :\

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by PolarFox View Post
Is this messaging anything like operator sending me few SMS messages when I upgrade or return to factory settings on any phone.. usually a welcome message and some settings for my phone.
No, those messages are special system messages containing settings for SMS or MMS and get automatically used ('installed') by the phone. Nokia instead is making your phone first sending them a standard SMS and then sends you SMSs with 'important' messages.

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
don't know, what gwj did (maybe inserting a sim at all was wrong), but i never saw anything of that sms and my provider does not list any sms sent to an unknown number.
This sim card is expired for outgoing calls, but still valid for accepting calls. After I have replaced it with my regular sim, at the boot up I did get a dialog about setting the time, but no OVI dialog.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
It's closed source (as usual), only to be found in the SSU repositories. One way of getting it would be reinstalling it (apt-get install --reinstall cherry) and taking the deb from /var/cache/apt/archives afterwards.
I haven't upgraded to PR1.2 yet, so I was hoping to just wget the package from another machine, if someone can work out the URL...